Metro Radio Ratings: Survey 1, 2020

Yes we are. Go 2Day!!!

2 Likes

96FM off to a good start.

3 Likes

Lilly is the real classy type.

1 Like

Stations will use whatever metrics they can if they come out on top. Very much skewed to the CHR stations, but this from Radioinfo in 2015 summarises the arguments briefly: https://www.radioinfo.com.au/news/which-most-listened-station-australia

2 Likes

Typical Australian pencil pusher

2 Likes

I wonder if like television (for the last 20 odd years) it would be better to look at station shares and individual program cumulative audiences? I guess shares are more relevant for advertising.

3 Likes

It’s probably been said a million times already, but for Triple M to be successful again particularly in Sydney, I think they need to stop trying to be many things to many people. Rock, sport and comedy does not appeal to everyone.

I think they should look at why WSFM and Gold104.3 are successful… they keep it simple… a strong brekky program and good music for the next 20 odd hours until breakfast is on again. You know what you’ll get whenever you tune in, unlike with Triple M.

9 Likes

Very interesting results in Melbourne between KIIS, Nova and Fox.
Gains all around.

3 Likes

Records of note:
Triple J/Sydney - Largest share since S2/2016
Triple J/Melbourne - Largest share since S1/2011
Nova/Melbourne - Largest share since S7/2013
Cruise/Adelaide - Largest share on 1323 since the 5DN simulcast days in 1993
96FM/Perth - Largest share since S6/2006

8 Likes

For those of you talking about Triple M and how “poorly” they are doing - I think you’re all out of touch with what the metrics mean. As a (now former) media buyer, when I see things like this my eyes light up thinking how many of my clients would be perfect to be part of the brand. Overalls and breakfast are fine, but you have to drill down into the demographics because that’s where the good information lies. I would have 10 or more brands in my portfolio back in 2017 who would look at this and say “get me a piece of it.”

Untitled

2 Likes

Your clients want to advertise on a network that’s going backwards?

3 Likes

In some ways I hope you’re right, as Triple M has been tinkering with the music quite a bit over the last few years, but at least I think that part is pretty good now.

1 Like

Hi portmacan - is this for Australia? Or one city? Or just capital cities?

This cannot be true for Sydney or Melbourne. In Adelaide Triple M has a 5% share of 25 - 39s.

Thank goodness for Brisbane - as the M’s are the lowest rating FM station in every other capital city. They are also beaten by JJJ everywhere but Brissie.

5 Likes

That’s not quite true if you count Mix 94.5 in Perth as a Triple M station, as both JJJ & hit92.9 rate lower than Mix.

1 Like
1 Like

“When you put a show [ Botica’s Bunch ] back in the market that hasn’t been heard for five years it will come with some curiosity with people wanting to sample it.

What we will see in Perth is that people will realise the show on 96FM is the same show it was five years ago. There is far more original content being produced by other shows in the market.

How far does Mix have to fall before the arrogance begins to wear off?

6 Likes

It sounds like it will take a while…

3 Likes

I guess he has to take that angle. It’s not like he is going to say “the station is a joke and the breakfast show certainly sounds tired”. Perth, more than any other market, is parochial, to the point that 96FM putting Botica’s Bunch back together is a genius move.

All that being said, SCA are very arrogant. 94.5 is stale and needs a shakeup. Whether that’s a rebrand to Triple M (hopefully) or a complete overhaul in some other fashion, who knows. But they need to do something. These are some of the worst numbers 94.5 has had in years, and the station has been on a downward slope for quite some time.

Are you reading this Dave Cameron and SCA? MAKE SOME DRASTIC CHANGES!

3 Likes

I really don’t see how a re-brand to Triple M helps in a market you point out is very parochial.

Triple M is not exactly a winning brand either, except at the moment in Brisbane. Triple J is beating it in Sydney, Melbourne and Adelaide. I think Cruise is beating it too.

The Triple M name is also taking it even further from the AC heritage of 94.5. That’s why it’s falling actually. They’d be better off heading back towards AC/soft AC given what 96 is doing.

5 Likes

Especially when (to the best of my knowledge), the Triple M brand failed spectacularly in Perth when 96FM tried it in the 1990s - only lasted a couple of years or so before the heritage brand returned.

Agreed. But from a Sydney perspective, I’d probably go as far as saying that SCA radio as a whole hasn’t exactly been a ratings winner in recent years with both 2DayFM and Triple M behind the ARN and Nova stations for quite some time now. 104.1 and 104.9 would probably benefit from a format change, perhaps even (as much as this is highly unlikely to happen anytime soon) a total rebrand away from anything to do with 2DayFM and the Hit/Triple M networks.

As an outsider, the current formats of both SCA Sydney stations are a mess - at least with Smooth, Nova, WSFM and KIIS, you more or less know exactly what you’re going to get. A bit safe music wise, yes. But Sydney seems to rather like familiarity and consistency with its broadcast media.

5 Likes