Metro Radio Ratings: Survey 1, 2020

And that the Triple M brand has already been tried in Perth, when Austereo owned 96.1.

5 Likes

If the current trend continues, SCA will start to question why they’re throwing money at a stand alone brand that isn’t rating when it would be cheaper to have one brand across the whole network. For years Mix 94.5 resisted a name change by backing up with solid ratings. The figures aren’t there to protect them now. Same could be said about 2DAY FM.

Lowest numbers since they were 6KY on the AM band I reckon.

4 Likes

Though 2DAY has had a sizable jump in the latest ratings.

4 Likes

I see those points, however the figures aren’t there for Mix 94.5 anymore because they have already been tinkering with the format and music to move it toward Triple M, and that is clearly a mistake.

5 Likes

Agree. Keep mix94.5 separate the same way ARN have kept 96FM separate (sort of).

2 Likes

To those who mention when 96FM was Triple M back in the 90’s, it’s been about 22 years since the Triple M brand disappeared. And to be fair, 96.1 Triple M carried a Today Network format, after they’d already killed the station by networking Richard Stubbs in for breakfast - it never recovered. It was all over the place - that’s why it didn’t work. Mix 94.5 underestimated ARN and 96FM. Watch 96 broaden their playlist and capture more of the people drifting away from 94.5. SCA need to change up Mix now, because it’s currently all over the place, just like 96.1 Triple M used to be in the 90’s. Choose a format and stick to it.

7 Likes

Time for Mix 94.5 to be overhauled. Yes they’ve won 90% of the surveys in the last 20 years, but after this survey it’s clear things need to change by the end of the year if they want a chance at re-taking #1.

Do somewhat agree with their comments about Botica’s Bunch, Fred Botica still sounds like he lives in the 80’s, but nostalgia performs!

2 Likes

Wasn’t 96.1 Triple M a rock format for the first couple of years? Then about 1995 they switched to the Today format when Village merged with Austereo. I can remember Martin Molloy on Triple M Perth before it moved to PMFM. They joked about being on the Today Network when people thought they were a Triple M show away from Perth.

1 Like

I find the Mix 94.5 music format is very similar or identical to the regional Triple M format.

4 Likes

Sorry it took so long to respond, was at a wedding yesterday.

Not concerned with its numbers especially out of football season. It’s clearly defined as a male oriented network. I had advertisers who pitched products specifically to men. Made sense to me. Plus I didn’t really have the digital stations to work with back then, who now get all advertisements as a “whole of network” approach. Fragmentation is a reality in this day and age - as long as they are hitting the target demos and pitched great ideas for clients, I was happy.

Hey Nick - I believe it’s a 5 cap cities and I’m not sure if digital is included. I can ask for clarification for that. With your JJJ comment, remember that the graphic I posted said “#1 commercial” so that differentiates from their figures inclusive of JJJ.

I don’t think it’s a helpful comment but Mix was also back to #1 late last year. It’s a market that looks like it’s happy to switch around and sample. Come back at the end of the year when 96 has settled in the market and then look at the figures properly and see what the trend is.

4 Likes

By returning in survey two, this period will have been surveyed:

Feb 9 to Feb 29 & Mar 1 to Apr 4.

Released Thu Apr 16

(p.5 GFK 2020 Radio Ratings Tool Kit)

3 Likes

[quote=“FineTuned, post:59, topic:13078”]

Looking at my Perth data (which is admittedly missing a handful of surveys), this is the lowest for Mix/KY-FM/6KY since S2/1976.

4 Likes
2 Likes

I love the reference to “Mix Melbourne”.

3 Likes

And 95.4 Perth!

3 Likes