Metro Radio Ratings: Survey 1, 2018

When you’re owned by TAB you’re not in the radio business to make money. Their radio operation would cost peanuts to run for them in comparison to their profits from gambling.

3 Likes

To be honest, I actually wasn’t expecting WSFM to rate as well as they did during Survey 1. I am happy that Jonesy & Amanda (IMO, one of the more tolerable programs on Sydney breakfast radio) did well though. Wonder if they might rate even higher in Survey 2 thanks to some heavy promotion at the Homebush Showgrounds?

On the other end of the scale, 3.4% for the final full ratings survey of Talking Lifestyle 954 before relaunching as a sports station…pathetic!

Good to see that the DAB+ ratings are now published on the same day as the AM/FM ratings surveys, although I still wonder if the presence of The Edge on 96.1FM has a major influence on that station’s ratings in the DAB+ surveys for Sydney.

Don’t you think it’s a sign that the Sydney radio audience is aging/maturing?

TBH, I honestly wouldn’t be overly surprised if many of the people who were listeners of 2DayFM and Mix 106.5 back in 1998 are listeners of WSFM and Smooth 95.3 in 2018.

Even with ratings of 1% or less, I’m pretty sure that Sky Sports Radio (remember, it hasn’t been known as 2KY since about 2009) would be profitable or at least viable due to all the revenue from gambling advertising and whatnot.

1 Like

KYLE AND JACKIE O’S SHOCK RATINGS DROP
IT’S the two very different tales for Sydney’s radio kings as the first audience ratings of 2018 were released today. KIIS FM’s Kyle and Jackie O Show had a surprising significant drop in numbers.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/entertainment/sydney-confidential/kyle-and-jackie-os-shock-ratings-drop/news-story/d661fd221843c0c74462d87e24baac71

I was listening to Mix 106.5 back in 1998 (actually from 1994 when the station converted from 2UW) and listen to Smooth and WSFM.

1 Like

Duncan Armstrong may have fucked 101.1FM in Melbourne even more. The new breakfast show made a big dip, I tried listening to their podcast and had to shut it off before they got past their meandering podcast introduction. Awful.

On top of that he loses a good drive show to the one that’s only being propped up in Sydney by Kyle & Jackie O.

BTW for my money, the best radio show on air at the moment, and in the last 10 years is Nova drive.

5 Likes

Thank you @Vidiot. This is the comment of the survey.

The ABC have taken a disastrous approach to metro local radio and its effect is immediate.

As big a stinker as Talking Lifestyle and Sport.

Note in Brisbane that most of the FMs have surpassed ABC breakfast which has lost its lead-in with 5am start. Drops off a cliff after AM closer to the morning share with all the lightweight content between 8:30am and midday.

Steve Austin manages to pick up some audience come 4pm.

They still want it to be cost effective and as such, run the operation on the smell of an oily rag. Look at their talent costs, they have been decreasing over the years, presenters of less calibre replace more experienced talent who move on for greener pastures.

Good talent always rises to the top, if they want to.

1 Like

Will and Woody are probably dragging Kyle and Jackie O down with all their unfunny appearances there.

2 Likes

RSN in Victoria is owned by the racing industry and in the past they’ve said that they actually run the radio station at a loss, particularly when running transmitter sites scattered all around the state, but claim that they are doing it as a service to the punters

4 Likes

7 Brisbane just aired a package on the survey. @TV.Cynic could you please upload it?

Seven News Sydney (who probably should be more concerned about their own ratings right now, but that’s for another thread) also had an RVO on the results of Survey #1 locally:

I haven’t seen it yet, although I’d imagine that Nine News Sydney also did a 30 second RVO with some fairly interesting graphics like they usually do.

2 Likes

I’ve complained about it before - but the ups and downs of the digital station ratings make the whole list a joke - made worse by it being presented alongside the AM/FM ones.

That somehow the cume of Sydney’s digital stations went up 155,000, but in Brisbane it only went up 14,000? Or Perth nearly adding 30% more digital listeners - but most of that being to Coles and MyPerth Digital?

Rythmos in Melbourne is another good example - halving its cume - which makes no sense given the content is likely to target a stable niche audience. Or NTS doubling their ratings in Sydney while losing more than half their audience in Melbourne?

I’m additionally surprised how poorly the digital only Smooth does. The station pulls massive shares in Sydney and Melbourne on FM - surely it should be smashing it on digital in the other capitals?

What on earth is that jump in 18-24 though!?

2 Likes

Reporting from 7 and 9

2 Likes

Report in The Age. Agree probably too early to tell, talk stations all appear a bit softer. Reading the comments of that article I tend to agree with the tone, tune into RN or maybe Gold for breakfast then 7:45 news and AM. Loved Myf on Double J as an antidote to The World Today but this programme just ain’t working on local radio.

1 Like

You are the man! Thanks as always.

And from the same article:

2 Likes

Coming out on the defensive.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/entertainment/sydney-confidential/kyle-and-jackie-o-sorry-sydney-we-aint-going-nowhere/news-story/d2749b47899838ac1a8bfd8fa046db9c

Although I can’t see Kyle & Jackie O calling it a career anytime in the immediate future, I wouldn’t be overly surprised if they lose their position as “Sydney’s #1 FM breakfast show” in at least one survey this year.

Sandilands is also scathing of The Daily Telegraph, for he says focusing on their ratings fall and Em Rusciano’s slight ratings gain, and spelling Kyle’s name as Kylie.

He just loves to hate everybody, doesn’t he?

Radioinfo analysis shows Nova down in every market for S1.

This shows Nova didn’t hold the audience over summer.

Too repetitive?