Metro Radio Ratings: Survey 1, 2017

Totally agree but better music & more of it or pure gold I would go for a total new look I can see 96 fm doing very well this year

Looks like that died with Blair’s departure. Was good to hear, despite the lack of any hard hitting questions there.

Not at all, I’d suggest. 96 is still part of the KIIS Network, more for advertising purposes anyway (one brand for 25-54 year olds across the 5 capital cities). The Pure Gold brand skews older, particular in Adelaide as Cruise 1323 and to an extent 4KQ in Brisbane.

1 Like

The one thing I noticed this survey is that the #1 FM stations in every metro market are adult music stations:

• WS in Sydney
  • Smooth in Melbourne
  • 97.3FM in Brisbane
  • Mix 102.3 in Adelaide
  • Mix 94.5 in Perth.

In most cases, the #2 FM stations are CHR stations:

• Fox in Melbourne
  • Hit 105 in Brisbane
  • Nova in Adelaide & Perth.

However, in Sydney, the #2 FM station is another adult music station, Smooth, whilst the highest rating CHR station, KIIS 1065, is #3 FM.

4 Likes

Probably a sign of an aging, maturing Sydney radio audience.

While I can’t say for sure, somehow I wouldn’t be terribly surprised if the listeners of Triple M and 2DayFM back in the '80s and '90s are on WSFM or Smooth 95.3 these days.

AW’s weekend ratings should also be noted.

Still very strong, spear-headed by long-time host Darren James’ verious programs between 6am & 11am (Saturday) / Midday (Sunday). As well as the Weekend Break with Grubby & Dee Dee from 12pm to 6pm :+1:

Can’t see another commercial non-music radio station in Australia that performs like this.

2GB in SYdney’s weak-link, as pointed out my major shareholder John Singleton during the week (doubt they’ll continue with NRL).

I’m pretty sure that for most if not all of the ratings period, 2GB would’ve been airing “Weekend Detention” or whatever they call their Summer sport offerings in lieu of “The Continuous Call Team” NRL coverage.

Also while the NRL rights probably aren’t essential for 2GB’s ratings (especially these days with coverage on Triple M), I can’t see MRN wanting to let them go.

I reckon they will still have NRL because 2GB rates well on Saturday and Sunday afternoons. TalkingLifestyle (2UE) still wins the ratings 6:00am - 12:00pm. Anyway, I can’t see how 2GB is a weak link when it wins the Sydney ratings, and wins most timeslots.

3 Likes

[quote=“SydneyCityTV, post:66, topic:2720”]
“Weekend Detention” or whatever they call their Summer sport offerings [/quote]
“Weekend Parole”? :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Context, please.

I was pointing out that 2GB’s WEEKEND ratings have always been poor.

Happy to be corrected :smiling_face:

Looking at the ratings of this and last survey it shows that 2GB is the highest rating station on weekends. I can’t see how that is poor. Now, 2GB is sixth in the cumulative audience figures on weekends, but 364,000 is still a good figure and is not that much different to 3AW’s seventh in the cums with 401,000 on weekends.

1 Like

Another reason for Adult Music being #1 FM in many markets is that there are too many CHR type stations (Hit, KIIS, Nova) all competing for basically the same audience, along with an aging population as @SydneyCityTV pointed out.

1 Like

2GB regularly loses to Smooth FM (and sometimes one of two others) on weekends. It is well established that it is the station’s weakest period of the week :+1:

I was getting at how it’s interesting its sister station 3AW is the opposite, always the top rating station on weekends.

1 Like

So which is it?

2 Likes

To correct “LittleGezzyBear”:

S1 2017 - Weekend:
•SmoothFM: #1 (9%)
•2GB: #2 (8.8%)

S8 2016 - Weekend:
•SmoothFM: #1 (9.2%)
•2GB: Equal #2 with WSFM (8.6%)

still that doesn’t prove your point that…

coming 2nd is hardly “poor”

3 Likes

Okay, perhaps not.

But how come 3AW manage clear wins each survey (certainly over summer) in comparison?

They’ve virtually identical in programming, just different presenters, content and major sport code (as lazy as that sentence sounds).

so they’re not identical at all.

3 Likes

Sorry, I misread that. They are not far behind first.

1 Like

I’d very surprised if they let it go. They have a lot of sale opportunities with the CCT, particularly with the number of regional stations that take the CCT as well!

2 Likes