Metro Radio Ratings: Survey 1, 2017

Although they’re completely different from one another, as well as broadcasting on different bands, I would take the playlist of 4KQ over WSFM anyday.

I agree.

2 Likes

I would go with B & C

I think Macquarie management will be quietly pleased/relieved at the TL results which, if we’re being honest, are better than many of us on here (myself included!) thought would be the case. Certainly a confidence booster for them as networking is rolled out.

A bigger concern for them right now is probably the 2GB results, in that the drop at breakfast in particular highlights in stark terms what a difficult task the succession planning for Alan Jones’ eventual departure actually is and how much depends on him.

1 Like

A drop in 2GB and a rise in TL totally goes against MML’s mission statement.

4 Likes

Indeed it does but this just highlights the contradictions in that mission statement. TL needs reasonably healthy listening figures if they are to attract advertisers and sponsors and thereby generate income growth.

I seem to recall the radio industry has trialled electronic metering but haven’t heard any more of it for ages. Don’t know if they’re still pursuing it.

Voice coaching Chris Smith over many years to sound like Jones hasn’t worked, Stephanie et al can work out that Gloria is away. Hadley is really the only viable alternative 2GB has, unless shadow executive chairman Hadley grudgingly lets Price have a go.

4 Likes

Spot on. It baffles me why there’s no marketing for digital only or AM stations to encourage DAB+ listening.

Paul Thompson did it for SA FM to get the audience to FM, it can be done as it has been proved.

1 Like

We all need to bring digital radios to work so we can listen to 4KQ without the dreadful static that you have on AM

2 Likes

Yeah it baffles me too. Especially for Smooth in Brisbane, Perth and Adelaide. They’ve got the markets to themselves and they’re already selling some local advertising so why don’t they at least do something? I’m not talking full page ads or prime time TV, but how about the odd bus poster!

1 Like

I think they wan’t to preserve the audience for their FM products. Harder to sell multiple products to advertisers than one or two main stations?

I wouldn’t worry too much about that - AFL season hasn’t even started yet. SEN always struggles during off-season but picks up in the winter months

Can’t believe the run of success Smooth is having in Sydney and Melbourne. I can’t help but think if it was on FM here in Brisbane too it’d be right up there with the top FM stations as well

5 Likes

It would be number 1 or close to it.

Quick - find someone with a radio ratings diary and get them to say they are listening to TL - if it tops the ratings I’m sure it will return to a music format…

Speaking of music formats - annoying that Classic Rock Radio still isn’t in the Melbourne ratings. To some extent Smooth winning comes from the handful of listeners who switched to Smooth after 3MP flipped formats, and will be entrenched next survey by all the Magic switchers.

1 Like

And would cause havoc to 973.

JV meetings to discuss 973 would be interesting if Nova upped the Smooth marketing in Bris.

1 Like

Yes that’s a good point but they should still do it :slight_smile:

I’ve often thought that if they “smoothified” 97.3 just a smidgen they’d be clear No 1 in Brisbane easily.

2 Likes

It’s easier/better to sell a station with no ratings instead of a station potentially with poor ratings.

1 Like

Interesting that the changes at RN don’t seem to have add any noticeable impact (Weekends are such a hodge-podge of repeats you’ll get the same programme repeated in the morning then again that afternoon…)…

RN is up in some markets, down in others… but I guess with such small numbers any movement is fairly arbitrary.

I’m still waiting to hear from the comments from Duncan Campbell etc that was my highlight of the survey results the reactions on radio today …
I’m still waiting still nothing on the radio today website I was hoping for more harder hitting questions as I felt Blair Sullivan was too soft ESP on the usual 2 day fm questions & the lies every time we are committed to rove & Sam etc, etc lol
Gotta love what arn have done to perth’s 96 fm it’s a great mix of music now when are they going to remove that kiss logo on 96fm branding

2 Likes

should use the Pure Gold branding for that station probably, or an individual identity.

4 Likes