Melbourne CBD Incident

All the caps and clips I saw of Peter Hitchener show his sincerity and empathy shining through.

7 Likes

@ScreenTower Aziz also went live on Facebook shortly after this incident unfolded, he is currently there on holiday

Click here for the video

1 Like

A Current Affair also covering this story including a live cross to Alicia Loxley at Royal Children’s Hospital.

2 Likes

Amazing how Sky News of all places seems to have done the most professional job, at least according to the consensus here. I suppose it’s a benefit having a studio and facilities located in the city. Haven’t seen any coverage as I was sleeping, but the ABC blundering through a breaking news story is either them waiting to confirm new information before putting it to air, or legitimately not having the resources allocated to where they’re needed, the latter of which seems more likely.

Agree with others regarding the tackless watermarking of footage. I understand that networks want attribution to their exclusives, but massive watermarks over the bigger stories is in my mind distasteful. You’re essentially using footage of a tragedy to advertise your service - it just screams poor taste. Leave the intrusive marking to other less important stories and do your job in light of a tragedy: report the news.

This event also speaks volumes about the crisis of mental health in Australia. I remember there being a thread on the old forums about mental health (maybe it was gun violence?), however hopefully this spurs governments into providing better facilities to hopefully prevent further scenarios like this.

12 Likes

The death toll has risen to four.

1 Like

Terrible just terrible. I have a friend that was in the area at the time and nearly got hit by the vehicle. Just devestating.

Nine News reporter Neary Ty was doing a live report on Today on Friday morning about the stabbing at Windsor in Melbourne, when the alleged perpetrator stopped and yelled a torrent of abuse at her.

7 Likes

That’s eerie.

1 Like

But that’s the thing. Sky and ABC are both based in Melbourne’s Southbank. ABC is only one block further south from where the incident happened. So why could Sky, with such limited resources, get its act together so quickly, while ABC took more than 45 minutes longer than Sky to get live pictures out of the location?

1 Like

How much do ABC still run out of Ripponlea?
I think a lot of the delay in information on the ABC comes down to them wanting to fact check information first. A lot of the specific details that the commercials report in these situations, such as ages and numbers of victims turn out to incorrect.

Last night all the commercials were saying that a 3 month old child had died. Today it has been formally released that the child in question was actually 10 years old, and the 3 month old is actually in hospital. As far as I’m aware the ABC didn’t report this misinformation.

I haven’t seen much of the TV coverage but heard of it on Triple M (NSW/Vic Border) and then plenty on ABC Radio as I was driving to Victoria at the time.
Given the situation I think ABC Radio did a great job with reporters on the scene quickly and being considerate of the distress of people they spoke with (including callers from the area), despite some unconfirmed rumours being mentioned.
Oh and it was quite surprising - in 2017 - how little the police officers at roadblocks knew (what they hadn’t been told); some frustration for people unable to get to their accommodation, etc. but of course that’s nothing, everyone not involved, not injured, not mourning, is fortunate and I think most people realised that.
Shame about the odd person here or there who didn’t have that perspective and got annoyed at the road closures, etc.

The ABC have never been the quickest with breaking news… they usually go straight to social media and live phone conversations.

I was walking back from lunch yesterday and had to run and hide in an office stairwell as I was just about to cross Bourke Street to my office. At the time I heard gunshots and a loud bang (when the police intercepted him).

7 Likes

Seven News reporting a three-month old baby has passed away in hospital this evening following yesterday’s incident.

1 Like

Very, very sad news happening in melbourne with 4 people being killed in the incident. My thoughts are with the families and friends of the tragedy.

1 Like

Sadly it’s five now. https://www.vicpolicenews.com.au/news/five-deceased-following-bourke-street-mall-incident-in-melbourne

5 Likes

This thread has been derailed by conspiracy theories about the media and off topic discussion.

Criticism of the media coverage is acceptable, bizarre ‘fake news’ rants are not.

11 Likes

With an on-going police investigation, there won’t be any official release of detailed information about this event. At the conclusion of the investigation the suspect may end up facing a jury trial where some of these details may arise but some may not be admissible.The Office of Public Prosecutions won’t want the potential jury pool contaminated with such media reports. Other information that is published at the moment, apart from official Police statements, will be from “sources” leaking to the media. So when Police make a statement like “we do not believe it to be terror related” etc , that’s probably as far as they can go.

2 Likes

News.com.au and The Daily Telegraph are reporting that he claims to be a Greek Islamic Kurd.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/blogs/tim-blair/melbourne-mall-attack/news-story/21dd3a8de7f27f733dddd80556161e14

2 Likes

A special vigil will be held at 5.30pm tomorrow (Monday) at Federation Square…

As a Victorian now living in the ACT I wish I could be there.

This incident is much worse than any terrorist incident we have had in recent years. It still the deserves the attention of the media and the people.

3 Likes