Melbourne CBD Incident

The ABC have never been the quickest with breaking news… they usually go straight to social media and live phone conversations.

I was walking back from lunch yesterday and had to run and hide in an office stairwell as I was just about to cross Bourke Street to my office. At the time I heard gunshots and a loud bang (when the police intercepted him).

7 Likes

Seven News reporting a three-month old baby has passed away in hospital this evening following yesterday’s incident.

1 Like

Very, very sad news happening in melbourne with 4 people being killed in the incident. My thoughts are with the families and friends of the tragedy.

1 Like

Sadly it’s five now. https://www.vicpolicenews.com.au/news/five-deceased-following-bourke-street-mall-incident-in-melbourne

5 Likes

This thread has been derailed by conspiracy theories about the media and off topic discussion.

Criticism of the media coverage is acceptable, bizarre ‘fake news’ rants are not.

11 Likes

With an on-going police investigation, there won’t be any official release of detailed information about this event. At the conclusion of the investigation the suspect may end up facing a jury trial where some of these details may arise but some may not be admissible.The Office of Public Prosecutions won’t want the potential jury pool contaminated with such media reports. Other information that is published at the moment, apart from official Police statements, will be from “sources” leaking to the media. So when Police make a statement like “we do not believe it to be terror related” etc , that’s probably as far as they can go.

2 Likes

News.com.au and The Daily Telegraph are reporting that he claims to be a Greek Islamic Kurd.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/blogs/tim-blair/melbourne-mall-attack/news-story/21dd3a8de7f27f733dddd80556161e14

2 Likes

A special vigil will be held at 5.30pm tomorrow (Monday) at Federation Square…

As a Victorian now living in the ACT I wish I could be there.

This incident is much worse than any terrorist incident we have had in recent years. It still the deserves the attention of the media and the people.

3 Likes

ABC/ABC News 24 and Sky News are covering the vigil live from Federation Square.

Nine is streaming it via Facebook/website, whilst Seven had a chopper live stream from above for a few minutes.

All seem to be using the same camera feed from Fed Square.

4 Likes

Live into Brisbane News earlier tonight.

4 Likes

Sad news: a sixth person has died in the attacks

1 Like

State Memorial posts start here.

Nine

Meanwhile on Seven…

SichboPVR_2018-01-23_12-28-06

No wonder why Seven’s ratings are rubbish.

1 Like

To be fair, the Australian Open tennis is a pretty important sporting event at this time of year.

7 Likes

ABC News also dipping in and out.
Given the number of empty seats at the service it would appear the level of interest from commercial media about right.

1 Like

With all respect to the families of those lost I don’t think all programming on a primary channel needs to be dropped for a memorial service.

I think if it was a Breaking News event then the news can take precedent and sport be reffered to the Multichannels.

8 Likes

Nine ended at 1:15 with a ‘The One’ promo.

That was what I was thinking, drop whatever is on 7Two and put the news coverage on there.

Edit: Nine has gone straight to Ellen.

I assume this went out onto Southern Cross Victoria and TDT?

Seven are not going to drop a grand slam quarter final to cover a memorial service.

No matter how bad that sounds, no disrespect to those affected.

1 Like

This morning, James Gargasoulas was sentenced in the Supreme Court of Victoria to life in prison with a minimum term of 46 years.

6 Likes

4 Corners report Time Bomb “The making of the Bourke Street murderer.”

1 Like