MediaSpy User Demographics

What do you associate on Queen’s Birthday Long weekend?

• Honours List
  • NRL match - Bulldogs v Dragons
  • AFL match - Collingwood v Melbourne
  • My state (QLD/WA) don’t celebrate Queen’s Birthday in June
  • None of the above

0 voters

None of the above really - if I had to give up a public holiday, it would be this one - it doesn’t really mean anything to me.

2 Likes

Should probably add in opening of the ski season. Does nothing for me but half the office was heading up to the snow this weekend.

1 Like

Double bungers, Tom Thumbs, Roman candles, throw downs, Catherine wheels, skyrockets and blazing parachutes.

You guys have had deprived childhoods having grown up not knowing the joys of cracker night on the Queen’s Birthday long weekend.

The night actually brought the neighbourhood together and gave us a sense of community as we sat around a bonfire, let off our booty and talked. I’m still dirty that the nanny state government took it away in NSW in 1986. Sure, a few neighbourhood cats were terrorised and the odd neighbour’s letterbox was destroyed but those were the ones that would’ve belonged to the cranky neighbour who probably deserved it.

1 Like

None of those. Only that it is a holiday for the Queen’s birthday, which really means nothing.

1 Like

Should have had “None of the Above” as an option. Last public holiday before spring. :wink:

Perhaps an Indigenous Day public holiday might be more relatable for Australians into the future.

2 Likes

Fixed. Added NOne of the above.

We already have NAIDOC week to celebrate the history and culture of Indigenous communities.

3 Likes

If you’re a Sydney/NSW-based media enthusiast, surely it’s got to be the Gold Telethon on Channel Nine?!

1 Like

So it’s a perfect time to have a public holiday.

What do Australian’s do to celebrate the Queen’s Birthday? It’s a non-event these days. Even the Brits don’t have a public holiday for this day.

Should be better used to celebrate something Australian.

We could just create another day instead of tearing down an existing one?

2 Likes

In that case we should have a public holiday for all the other cultural and religious days significant to other multicultural communities in the country… just so we can be seen as not discriminating.

I’d be more than happy to get the day off work to observe days such as Eid-Ul-Fitr, Rosh Hashanah, Diwali, Noruz, and Guru Nanak.

At least the Queen is our head of state and represents us all.

2 Likes

What about Cinco de Cuatro :grinning:

5 Likes

Someone’s an Arrested Development fan.

Pull out your pole and add Festivus (December 23) to the list.

3 Likes

There was cracker night in QLD as well though an Internet search suggests it was on Guy Fawkes Day - 5 November.

Great idea. Harmony Day is March 21. Make it a public holiday.

But not as much as the people in her own country. When was the last time she represented Australians?

1 Like

Maybe Remembrance Day should be declared a Public Holiday on 11 November in Australia. At 11am, they will do The Last Post to remember all the soldiers who have died in the war.

1 Like

But we already have Anzac Day.

Indigenous Day or Federation Day are better ideas.

I think on Remembrances day, shopping is still open. I think that having shops open at 11am is a bit disrespectful to the public

I don’t see how you can claim the Queen’s birthday long weekend doesn’t celebrate something about Australia when the Queen’s Birthday Honours list recognises high achieving Australians from all sections of the community. Like it or not we’re a constitutional monarchy and the Queen is our head of state.

4 Likes