Matches, Hatches, Dispatches

Saw the report tonight on Seven news and said the same to Mrs Frankie. They just blamed a USA tabloid.

1 Like

Three deaths in the last 24 hours!

Dr. Hook was way bigger and better than Captain and Tennille in the 1970s. Disappointed Ray Sawyer’s death hasn’t rated a mention here.

1 Like

Here is Ray Sawyer’s obituary. He passed away on New Year’s Eve 2018.

First I’m hearing about it is here. Yes, Ray was a fairly big star in the day.

It should have made the news. I suspect this is because of the age of a lot of people working in news these days who are not aware of anything that happened before 2000. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

It did make the news JBar…

Maybe it did, but I didn’t see it anywhere.

His death certainly wasn’t reported as widely as the impending death of Olivia (sourced from the National Enquirer.

2 Likes

I heard a radio news report with a snippet of Sylvia’s Mother played underneath the reporter.

I can remember seeing Dr hook back in 70s
I enjoyed there music
Showing my age :grin:

3 Likes

You’re a little older than me :wink: but I remember them as regulars on 3MP playlists in the 80s being run around in mum’s Corolla.

1 Like

I saw it on whichever news service I was watching (7 or 10, can’t remember)

BELOVED NEIGHBOURS ACTOR DIES OF CANCER
Logie-winning actor Darius Perkins, best known as the original Scott Robinson in Neighbours, has passed away after a long battle with cancer.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/entertainment/fiona-byrne/beloved-neighbours-actor-darius-perkins-dies-after-cancer-battle/news-story/a81594f216511d02c19894383e5940ec

Voice over man Paul Ricketts passed away in November last year, aged 86.

The name might not be familiar to many (as it wasn’t to me), but his voice certainly would be. This is just a sample of the radio work he did:

YouTube: The Hack

2 Likes

Ahh yes, the former longtime voice of Foxtel (as synonymous with that brand as presenter Mike Hammond was for a while) and also Network Ten around the Late 1980s/Early 1990s.

We’ve lost quite a few iconic Australian voiceover artists in recent years, so it’s sad to hear that Paul Ricketts’ name has been added to that list.

I most associate him as the voice of TEN-10 in Sydney during the 1980s. Always felt those that followed never lived up to his standard. I was trying to remember how long it had been since I’d heard one of his signature V/Os for the History channel. I had no idea he was that old. His voice seemed to improve with age.

1 Like

Model Annalise Braakensiek found dead in Potts Point apartment

Derryn Hinch has twittered the passing of Australian TV royalty Jimmy Hannan dies
Another tv legend has left us at 84

Jimmy Hannan was such a fixture on Australian television during the 1970s and just seemed to disappear completely sometime in the mid 1980. To be honest I thought he had passed many years ago.