Matches, Hatches, Dispatches

1 Like

Loved the Golden Years Of Television. It was initially on Channel 10 but then he took the show to Nine when he moved there. It was always on late so I didn’t get to see it that often. It was where I saw Number 96 for the first time when they showed the famous ‘bomb-blast’ episode. I also remember they did a special episode of Golden Years Of Television as part of Nine’s Life Education Centres telethon about 1988, and played a rather bizarre kids show from the ABC in the 1960s called Be Our Guest, which starred a young Jacki Weaver and Lorraine Bayly.

Also loved his sidekick, Ginger de Winter who was a fictional show girl from the old days of variety, and also self-appointed chairperson of the Barrell Girls Association :stuck_out_tongue:

Ginger de Winter was played by Virginia Bell, who is now a high court judge.

5 Likes

I had a much loved book about the early days of Australian television when I was a kid. David Lyle’s show helped bring the pages of that book to life for me. I was very aware of Number 96 but hadn’t seen an episode until that bomb-blast episode was featured on Golden Years of Television.

The show also gave me an appreciation of many of those early, iconic American titles that my parents would reminisce about or I had read about- I Love Lucy, The Dick Van Dyke Show, Rawhide, Gunsmoke, Zorro, The Lone Ranger… I looked forward to seeing David Lyle present the show each week and was disappointed when it ended. His passion and love for those golden years certainly inspired my interest.

5 Likes

Holly Valance and her property tycoon husband Nick Candy have welcome their second child, Nova Skye Coco, who is little sister to three-year-old Luka Violet Toni.

I wonder if we had the same book: Australian TV The First 25 Years? That was one of my first real insights in Australian TV history and 35 years later I still refer to the book when looking up stuff.

1 Like

I think that may have been it. It was a paperback book with lots of black and white photos from various early Australian shows. Haven’t seen it for years but it may still be in a box somewhere at my mother’s house. Keep meaning to dig it out.

2 Likes

Julia Stiles (10 Things I Hate about You, Jason Bourne franchise) has married Preston J Cook in a “shotgun wedding”. Stiles is pregnant with the couple’s first child.

Khloe Kardashian is expecting her first child with boyfriend Tristan Thompson. Her youngest sister Kylie Jenner is reportedly five months pregnant and expecting a girl.

GoT stars Kit Harrington and Rose Leslie are engaged.
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/entertainment/celebrity/game-of-thrones-stars-kit-harrington-rose-leslie-engaged/news-story/903f79b9f92d9a66e569ee4037fe463f

Playboy founder Hugh Hefner has died aged 91.

#putoutyourplayboys

1 Like

Former Nine Brisbane news presenter Melody Iliffe has died.

Megan Gale has given birth to her second child, a girl. She and fiance Shaun Hampson already have a boy named River.

Update 6/10: Megan Gale has named the newborn girl Rosie May Dee. Rosie is Gale’s grandmother’s name, May is Gale’s mother’s name, and Dee is Hampson’s mother’s name.

Australian Survivor contestant Nicola “Ziggy” Zagame has announced her engagement to her partner of five years, Australian Olympic men’s water polo player Johnno Cotterill.

Tom Petty has died at 66.

TMZ is reporting he’s still clinging to life.

There seems some conflicting reporting. Other sites have said his life support has been switched off and now they’re saying he has died.

What’s Richard Wilkins reporting on Today? It’ll be the opposite of that.

3 Likes

Radio report just said that the reports have become very messy after the LAPD apologised for ‘inadvertently’ providing information about his death.