Matches, Hatches, Dispatches

American actor Ty Hardin passed away last week at the age of 87.

Although he starred and had lead roles in some early American series he was not really a huge name here as far as I can tell, but he was the lead actor in an Australian series, Riptide, 26 episodes made for Channel 7 in 1967-69. His casting was hoped to give the show some interest in the international market, which didn’t happen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLHY4UWeXk0

Source: Classic Australian TV

US country singer Glen Campbell has died at 81 after a six year battle with Alzheimer’s. During his 60-year career he sold more than 45 million records, had 12 gold albums and 75 chart hits including Rhinestone Cowboy and Southern Nights.

Former VFL umpire and sports broadcaster Harry Beitzel died yesterday in Gosford, NSW, aged 90. Beitzel covered football for 3AW (where he was chief caller for 16 years), 3AK and the ABC radio stations, as well as writing for the Herald Sun, The Truth, The Sunday Telegraph and The Australian. He also invented the International Rules concept when he took an Australian team The Galahs to tour Ireland in 1967 and officiated in 182 VFL games including the 1955 Grand Final.

Harry was at 3KZ prior to being at 3AW, there’s quite a few calls of his from KZ on Youtube. Also, minor correction for you, he worked for ABC TV not radio, on many of the football shows that were on ABV over the years.

Here’s a good tribute from Tim Lane in the Age.

No doubt his mate Tommy will be able to hear him now.

Veteran British entertainer and presenter Sir Bruce Forsyth has died aged 89. He co-hosted Strictly Come Dancing from 2004 to 2014.

1 Like

Jerry Lewis has died.

3 Likes

Sonny Landham, who starred in the original Predator movie, has died aged 76.

Jay Thomas, who starred in Murphy Brown, Cheers and Ray Donovan, has died aged 69.

1 Like

Sports broadcaster Drew Morphett has passed away aged 69.
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victoria/sports-broadcaster-drew-morphett-dies-aged-69/news-story/ed0e42d862d5f8c556f606b6755aab66

He commentated numerous sports including the AFL for Seven and the ABC. I first heard of his commentary in 1989.
Big loss.

Drew started The Winners on the ABC in 1979
Sunday night at 6pm was priority viewing for me
Sad news about Drew’s Passing

Very sad news. dig around on Youtube and you’ll find him covering motorsport, golf, rowing, cycling, lawn bowls, cricket, pretty much every sport ABC TV broadcast in the 70’s and 80’s. Crossing to Seven in 1988 when they got the VFL rights back exclusively. Left without a job after Seven lost the rights he wound his way back to ABC radio where he added horse racing to his bow which is where our paths crossed. Farewell Drew.

Drew was one of our best sports broadcasters there was always passion in his voice during commentary on radio and TV.
During his time at Channel 7 at one stage he was the regular/fill in sports presenter for the Melbourne bulletin.
His death has been the top story on Seven and Nine Melbourne News updates this afternoon.
RIP Drew
IMG_20170826_105741IMG_20170826_110035IMG_20170826_110123
IMG_20170826_175022

1 Like

Texas Chainsaw Massacre director Tobe Hooper has died.

Very high profile former athlete has been killed on the Gold Coast in a car accident.

Media are refraining from reporting the name until family is advised.

https://twitter.com/9NewsGoldCoast/status/901982087388979202

The Gold Coast Bulletin has chosen not to name him until his children have been advised of the tragic news

Trust the Courier Mail to break an embargo

Update:

Awful news. I always regard Michael Cockerill as No.1 A-League commentator ahead of Simon Hill. The fact Michael was able to work for both Fairfax and News Corp at the same time demonstrated the respect he received in the media. My thoughts are with his family.

1 Like