Matches, Hatches, Dispatches

The news of Pelé’s death came around 6am this morning.

1 Like

https://www.msn.com/en-au/lifestyle/smart-living/olivia-newton-john-s-state-funeral/ar-AA15Nddq?ocid=wispr&pc=u477&cvid=c14787b747eb4fe9a6fa2b8c4f1f9e95

Speaking to the Herald Sun,Tottie Goldsmith, said she was hopeful it would take place in 2023.

“We’re just waiting on final family dates to fit in with other things. We’ll get there. Hopefully this new year will bring some answers,” she told the Herald Sun.

2 Likes

Barbara Walters, American broadcaster, had died, aged 93.

3 Likes

I never knew Tottie Goldsmith was Olivia’s niece.

1 Like

Far out - 2022 not even slowing down at the end of the year. We woke up to the news on Jan 1st 2022 that Betty White had passed and now Barbara Walters. Some big names have passed this year.

8 Likes

I will be interested to see how 2022 deaths for the overall global population has compared to previous years, including pre-pandemic.

I can’t help but think the pandemic has had a meaningful impact on the death rate this year in one way or another.

1 Like

R.I.P Barbara Walters. A legend in her own right a fantastic new career!
2022 sucks balls. We lost some big names this year.

4 Likes

Her mother, Rona, was Olivia’s sister. In the 80s Rona was married to Jeff Conaway, who played Kenickie in Grease alongside Olivia. There was a very awkward radio interview with Olivia on MMMs Hot Breakfast where Mick Molloy mentioned her cast mate Jeff had passed away (he was unwell but hadn’t passed at that stage), unaware he was actually her former brother in law.

2 Likes

Carlton AFL captain and Brownlow medallist Patrick Cripps married long-term partner Monique Fontana at Perth’s Sandalford Winery yesterday.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/entertainment/fiona-byrne/brownlow-medallist-patrick-cripps-ties-the-knot-a-long-way-from-home-see-video/news-story/ae4f6319fe093d2d270f887384e9ddf0

1 Like

Very very sad. I know she’s been out of the spotlight, and by accounts unwell for some time, however this news is hard to hear. She will be missed.

I still watch The View to this day. Albeit via YouTube clips (thanks Aus tv networks) and it was my first ‘must watch’ when I got Foxtel for the first time all those years ago.

What a year it’s been for losses. :worried:

5 Likes

I know of at least two people who passed away this year who were impacted by the pandemic.

An uncle who was receiving radiotherapy treatment for cancer, contracted Covid and then Long Covid symptoms impacted his treatment. The official cause of death on the death certificate says heart failure but it was due to the effects of Covid.

A family friend had a serious fall, developed pneumonia so was hospitalised. When he moved to a nursing home he had trouble swallowing which resulted in an infection in his lungs. A Covid outbreak was then discovered in the nursing home and when he was tested, he had it too. His official cause of death on the death certificate says lung infection even though he had Covid.

3 Likes

Thats not all that surprising - beyond the impact of the virus itself, its had a significant impact on people’s ability to seek healthcare for other matters

2 Likes

Officially the numbers seem small.
Approx 17,000 official COVID deaths in AUS this year - an average of about 46 a day.

If you consider there are nearly 26 mil Aussies and the average life expectancy is approx 82 years, this means approx 869 people die each day.

So COVID officially only accounts for about 5% of all deaths in 2022, but I suspect as others have pointed out the real impact is quite a bit higher…

1 Like

Brian May has been given a New Year’s honours from King Charles III. Canada, the UK and New Zealand all have honours list on New Year’s Day but Australia has been held on Australia Day instead as well as on King’s Birthday.

They’ll be talk to move the honours back to New Year’s Day to keep in line with the rest of the Commonwealth.

2 Likes
5 Likes

Will there?

3 Likes

I’d say so, given the anti-Australia Day sentiment around.

Why? We dont issue imperial honours anymore

1 Like

A celebrity death to close out 2022.

2 Likes

It must be very hard for her family to lose her just before the new year. The Pointer Sisters are one the most legendary music groups ever. RIP.

3 Likes