MasterChef Australia

Totally agree!

For someone with a sweet tooth ,some of the dishes from last nights episode were making my mouth water. I thought Bryan was going to be this seasons Reynold,yet he received criticism from the judges in the invention test for adding too many elements to his dessert…I hope he isn’t eliminated tonight in the pressure test

1 Like

I’ve just caught up on Wednesday’s episode featuring the relay - I’ve never seen a more useless contestant than that girl. Seems my appraisal of her was right on the money.

I agree, Bryan wasted a golden opportunity to impress the judges. Perhaps he was too starstruck? He kept it simple in the mystery box challenge, but tried too hard by adding more ingredients in the invention test.
On a video posted by the show on Twitter, Kirsten Tibballs told Matt Preston that the mystery boxes were made from white chocolate by students at her pastry school, and delivered to the MC kitchen at night.
Janice Wong’s edible wall art was spectacular. It must have taken a week to make all those thousands of flowers and put them into place.

1 Like

Well it did benefit and improved from last Sunday significantly. I have always said this - if the show is on 4 other nights of the week at 7.30pm I don’t see the point of having it as 7pm one night a week. A 7pm start is only beneficial on 7 & 9 because they have strong lead ins. Masterchef doesn’t have a strong lead in on Sunday’s so it might as well stay a consistent timeslot across the week. In the past Masterchef has not been too affected by the performance of the other reality shows anyway.

It has been this way for as long as I can remember. At the end of the day when there are 19 people in the kitchen of course the ones that get tasted or the ones that do well or poorly are going to get the airtime. It’s pointless showing dishes that don’t get tasted or don’t make for good TV. Later on in the season when there are less cooks we see more of other dishes.

Although last night based on the editing and how they portrayed Sam during the cook I was certain that his dish was going to be an epic failure, whereas it turned out to be a winner.

2 Likes

The thing is last years winner was obvious from the last 5 weeks of the show. So hopefully they improve on that editing this year as well.

You think? I barely even noticed Elena existed until about halfway through the season… whereas Matt, Harry and Elise were the ones that were focused on the entire season.

1 Like

Yeah it was about the 7th/8th week where I thought it became obvious she would make it to finals week and win or at least make the final.

According to an interview with Gary Mehigan in today’s Herald Sun, filming for season 9 finished last week. I assume that includes the grand final? That means two endings would have been filmed and we will have to wait until late July to find out.

1 Like

Don’t Masterchef now delay the taping of the final winner announcement to just a few hours before broadcast? I thought that’s what’s happened other years or maybe I’m thinking of another show.

It changes season to season. They have done that and filmed finale winners announcements the same day but I think the last couple of seasons went back to pre-recorded finales. I’m not sure if they film two endings though or what they do. Like with MKR it’s pretty obvious that they do that as it feels much more fake how they do winner announcement, confetti then it’s over in seconds. Masterchef usually goes on for about 10-15 minutes after the winners announcement and talking to their families and it feels more real. So if they do film two endings they do it well.

The first season finale was pre-recorded and I could remember the Daily Telegraph interviewing winner Julie Goodwin at her home on the day of broadcast. For seasons 2 to 4, most of grand finals were taped but the winner annoucement was filmed on the afternoon of the day of broadcast, before the contestants and the crew were placed in lockdown for several hours until the winner was revealed on TV. Since the show moved to Melbourne from season 5 onwards, all the finales are pre-recorded.

1 Like

Last night was a really interesting Mystery Box and Invention Test :slight_smile:

Having two guest chefs in the one ep, Kristen Tibbels leading the Mystery and Janice Wong the (rather cool) invention!

Pete aced the mystery and did well with his extra time and mentoring in the invention.

I thought Matt was harsh on Bryan.

I thought Adam’s win in 2010 was live?

Tamara hasn’t been featured much yet ,Karlie I haven’t seen much of either

1 Like

I don’t even understand how it was a floating icecream?

Then you need to go back to school my boy :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

–

WOW :scream:

WHAT A CRAZY EP TONIGHT!

It looks to me the cup was on the table…

Forget Last Resort and TBL. I think we have the biggest flop of the year the ‘floating’ icecream. What an overhyped advertising ploy.

The theory is that the sugar balloon hangs in the air with the ice cream tied to it. The ice cream itself sits on a plate with magnet.
EDIT: Ten has confirmed it was the magnet:

Christy’s floating ice cream was an incredible and complex dessert comprising of more than 50 steps and dozens of ingredients.
The floating element to the dessert was an idea Christy and the MasterChef team worked on for several weeks, with the effect created by powerful magnets underneath the plate and on the board below.

1 Like