MasterChef Australia

Sorry to see Pia eliminated,I thought Ray would be going instead

1 Like

So sad to see Pia eliminated :cry: Still shocked!

What a pressure test though, that cake was insane, certainly the hardest I’ve ever seen.

Glad to see she’s moving on well.

–

Tonight’s immunity ep was the BEST yet :grin:

WOO HOO! Congratulations Eloise.

What… A… Dish.

That whisky sauce made Gary cry with joy and as a result a perfect score.

Not what 23 y/o restaurant owner Charlie wanted to see.

Eloise really showed her talent tonight. She won the first round with a tasty Japanese fried chicken with chilli caramel, then beat Atlas Dining’s Charlie Harrington in the immunity challenge with a stunning dessert. It was a one sided result too (28 to 21).
Tomorrow is the dreaded team relay challenge. Some of you may remember that relay challenge in season 7 when John Carasig changed his team’s intended dish, forcing fellow team member Georgia Barnes to come up with an entire dish with just a few minutes to go. The preview for tomorrow suggests there will be another controversy coming up. Also the preview seems to suggest a twist in the relay challenge. Normally contestants would be divided into teams at the start, but it looks like only the first member of each team would be picked, with other team members to be randomly assigned by the judges in the storeroom.
Also, what was Ten thinking when its promo said “if there is only one episode of MasterChef to watch this season, it is the relay challenge”? Doesn’t it want viewers to watch the grand final too?

2 Likes

Has the floating egg or whatever aired yet?

Nope. It is “coming soon” apparently.

1 Like

They are really overhyping that floating ice cream. Hopefully it comes next week as I’m tired of the promos.

Really good Immunity challenge last night - it is usually my least favourite episode of the week but I enjoyed it. The guest chef didn’t really do anything outstanding, but it was the case where Eloise was playing to her strengths with desserts and the guest chef was a more savoury cook.

Tonight is the relay, always a fun task to watch.

2 Likes

It is the Pressure test on Monday.

I enjoyed tonight’s episode,the relay team challenge,they only had 45 seconds to hand over to the next team member and explain what they had done to the dish so far.Not being allowed to choose who goes on what team made it harder too

1 Like

It was another eventful relay team challenge. It was a bold idea having the judges deciding who cooked next on all teams, making the 45 second changeover all important.
Michelle almost ruined the blue team’s team when she fried the roast pork and steamed the bun too early and without much preparation (it also showed her weakness in savoury dishes - I hope she made one in next Sunday’s mystery box and invention test). Fortunately, Karlie and Jess came to the rescue and salvaged it with a shallot pancake plus twice cooked maple pork and a salad.
The green team was doomed from the start when Benita decided to make a Singaporean crab and chilli dish and used maple syrup in place of brown sugar in seasoning. As George pointed out, the maple taste was lost during the cooking, so no matter how Benita and the four contestants which followed her tried, it was always set to fail.
The yellow team’s maple syrup ice cream with a tuile was the best dish from the challenge with red team’s maple nut ice cream with maple bacon not far behind, but the latter was almost derailed by Ray forgetting to add the finished jelly at the end, which would have enhanced the dish even further.

Gee, funny they had two options then - healthy (savoury) and indulgent (mainly sweet)…with the indulgent containing whisky. What ever shall Eloise have chosen? :rolling_eyes:

I couldn’t stand Tuesday’s ep. Eloise is this season’s Dani - she narrates well and looks “unique” enough to be taken to to the end by producers (no matter what).

Her waffles dish was a dish on top of waffles…the other two contestants actually cooked a waffle dish. I can’t stand the pre-planned shenanigans where they all “fight” over the food at the tasting table. She was going through no matter what. :rolling_eyes:

Then when it came to tasting the final dishes from the pro and Eloise…they had any more gripes about the pro’s dish that didn’t even happen…apparently hard to find an acidic element in that grouping to cut through the sweetness (he did with the cherries)…the dish needed to have a light element to offset the heavy ganache (he did with the foam).

Eloise’s dish looked like slop…oh but that whisky sauce…gee, they haven’t tasted whisky before…it was ah-mazing. Give me a break. Gary holding up and licking his spoon like an idiot. Matt scraping his bowl clean. How cringey. How juvenile.

She was winning that pin no matter what. They’re back to their old shenanigans this season.

1 Like

The yellow teams dish looked yummy,they all worked great together as a team,deserved to win the challenge

1 Like

I don’t agree with that. It was a very modern and inventive take on waffles that a lot of cafe’s are doing these days. I’ve seen similar style dishes at cafe’s in Melbourne.

I agree that her presentation wasn’t very good and it was very sloppy. Although to be fair regardless of the scores (which it probably didn’t deserve 10s), the professionals dish wasn’t that great and pretty basic and she deserved the win. Not by that margin though.

Yeah it did. I don’t know what Benita was thinking with the seafood dish. Who the hell thinks of seafood when they see maple sauce? There is a thing called being inventive but that was just being stupid. Although the second cook that came in should have probably ditched that idea and gone for something else.

2 Likes

###Sweet Week

From Sunday 21 May At 7.30pm.

It is the sweetest week ever on MasterChef Australia, with a week full of unforgettable challenges, impossible creations and a dessert that will defy gravity.

Chocolatier Kirsten Tibballs sets a mystery box challenge on Sunday but all is not as it seems when the contestants take to their mystery box with a mallet.

Then, two-time winner of Asia’s pastry chef awards, Janice Wong (pictured left) treats the contestants to a display of her edible art – a spectacular wall of over 1,000 hand-made flowers that glow in the dark – to inspire them to create an winning invention test dish of their own.

On Monday night, dessert queen Christy Tania sets a pressure test challenge like no other with her awe-inspiring dish, floating ice-cream which includes a helium-filled toffee balloon. It has to be seen to be believed.

In a surprise immunity challenge on Tuesday, there are not one but three immunity pins up for grabs. All three contestants will have a chance to cook against a professional chef. The professional chefs taking on the contestants this week are MasterChef Australia alumni Reynold Poernomo plus Angelique Peretto and Lauren Eldridge.

Our contestants will be pushed to their limits on Wednesday when they must design and create their own edible art installation in a specially constructed greenhouse. Pastry chef Darren Purchese is our guest mentor and will help guide the contestants through this marathon eight hour challenge.

We wrap up with Sweet Week on Thursday evening with a blind taste test that will send one contestant home.

2 Likes

Angelique Peretto and Lauren Eldridge are two of the rising stars in the food industry (Lauren even worked for several months at Massimo Bottura’s Osteria Francescana, award the world’s best restaurant last year) so it promises to be a great immunity challenge.

1 Like

They should do a vegan or vegetarian week

3 Likes

I expect next week to pull large audiences, Monday will be huge (given the heavy promos the past two weeks).

Can’t wait, so interested to see how Christy (who had the largest non-final audience in the final weeks last year) made her unbelievable dessert :open_mouth:

There’s lots of things they serve up in Melbourne cafes. Often involving test tubes or plating up on chopping boards or an old bathroom tile. Doesn’t mean that they are right. :wink:

2 Likes

On Monday’s pressure test you could see Pia starting to write her diary. The date on top of the page said Tuesday, December 6, 2016. If the challenge was filmed on that day, it means next week’s Sweet Week would be the last before the contestants and crew had their Christmas/New Year holiday.

1 Like

I don’t know I prefer food in Melbourne to amywhere else in Australia.

There’s a reason that we are known as the food capital of Australia.

1 Like