MasterChef Australia

With the Matt heavy final few minutes of last nights show, I’m thinking he could go tonight. Fingers crossed.

Elise cooked her 58th parfait last night. Enough already!

1 Like

Haha… So true.

SPOILERS

WHAT AN INSANE EP OF MASTERCHEF!

Has to be one of the biggest & best I’ve seen.

All credit to the contestants. Poor Trent :cry:

Cristy designed the 4.5hr, 65 step dessert just for the show

1 Like

Another pressure test with lots of twists. In the end it came down to Trent’s brownie. He put too much mix in the tray which took longer to bake in the oven. Then he put the warm brownie into the mould which meant the cake did not freeze in time which affected the texture and taste. Matt had trouble with his marshmallow but gradually got back on track after encouragements from George.
Also, the pressure test finished at sunset and the tastings began in early evening. In Melbourne, the sun set at around 6pm in April this year, so I wonder if the cooking began at lunchtime and not in the morning?

1 Like

Well it was sad to see Trent go last night but he was the one with the big problems in the cake. Editing was trying to make it look like Matt was making a lot of mistakes but he pulled through in the end. Similar sort of edit to what Mimi has got in a lot of these challenges.

Tonight’s episode says that 2 people will go straight through to Grand Final week. How does that work? Does that mean 2 are safe tonight, then of the bottom 1 goes tomorrow night… then the two that survive battle it out again on Thursday? It seems a silly way to do it if that’s the case.

Thursday is a MasterClass

The final MasterClass of 2016 sees the return of the eliminated contestants. The shoe’s on the other foot for George, Gary & Shannon who must cook a dish from ingredients from a special mystery box.

2 Likes

I always like this Masterclass every season.

1 Like

Im glad Mimi is in the elimination. Hope she goes. Sick of the tears.

Really enjoyed tonight’s ep from Daylesford (not far from Bendigo).

Such a lovely restaurant, with such a talented & veteran Chef, with an amazing story.

Made for a great service challenge for finals week.

Also, regarding TV Cynic & Turdall’s commrnts, it’s smart programming by Bev McGarvey.

Still airing MasterChef of some sort on Thursday this week, whilst Ch 7 & Ch 9 pretty much have nothing.

MasterClass as we’ve seen before, can get 900k-ish (possibly even higher being finals week).

At least there won’t be a gap (filled with Modern Family repeats) this year, The Bacelor will start the day after the Finale.

1 Like

I also enjoyed tonight’s episode. What rotten luck Matt must have had, after surviving the pressure test he had to re-create another dessert! At least this was not as complex as Christy Tania’s creation and Matt made the 40 dishes with not much drama. The other contestants all struggled at some points during their cooking time but Elena got most of the ingredients on her dessert right and reached the final four with Matt.

Nine has live NRL this Thursday (Cowboys v Bulldogs from Townsville) so it will be a competitive night.
This Thursday’s episode will be the first stand alone MasterClass since 2013. Traditionally the final MasterClass / reunion before the grand final always rate well.

1 Like

That was also my first thought!

Matt had just been in that insane (but amazing) pressure test… To land with another dessert at Lake House of all places.

Regardless of what they said I think that Matt probably got the easier dish last night. There were lots of small components but none on their own had that high level of complexity to them like the others had. There wasn’t a really hard pressure point like Elena had with the rolling of the jelly, Elise had with the puree and the number of complex components that Mimi had in her dish.

Not sure who I want to go tonight. I would like Elise to be safe. I don’t mind the others. I’ve warmed to Mimi but Harry has probably been a better cook overall. The preview looked like Harry and Mimi might both slip up tonight but who knows.

They should have done an elimination followed by a Masterclass Thursday IMO. I still don’t think it will rate as well as a normal episode would on the Thursday. Prob 800-900k. A normal episode leading into Grand Final week would’ve got 1million+. Although clearly stretched out so Masterchef can finish on Tues and lead into Bachelor on Wed.

Tonight was one of those episodes where all contestants struggled during cooking. It was meant to show how far the three contestants had improved since their audition, but all made some mistakes: Harry could not get the flavour of his lobster bisque right, Elise started making her brownie late which led to mousse melting and the brownie deflating, while Mimi was doing quite well until Matt Preston pointed out she picked ricotta instead of goat’s cheese, and from there doubts clouded her cooking right to the end.
I saw many comments on Twitter that Mimi was robbed, and they might have a point. Why did the judges prefer Elise’s deflated brownie to Mimi’s fig dish with overpowering ricotta?
Mimi’s elimination meant for the first time in the show’s history, the top four contestants were from the same state, in this case Queensland. Elena might be competing for NSW but she grew up in Noosa.
The caption at the end of tonight’s episode said that Mimi is now working as a prep chef for a new TV food show. According to APN News, it’s My Market Kitchen, filmed at Melbourne’s Queen Victoria Market and co-hosted by 2013 MasterChef winner Emma Dean and runner up Lynton Tapp (see Ten Network - programs and schedules thread).

1 Like

Hang on so when’s the final episode? I thought this was finals week? I was assuming Sunday?

Tuesday

She made a fundamental mistake that changed the flavour of her dish. In the finals week if you assume it is goats cheese without actually checking then you deserve to go home. They pointed out that undercooked brownies are often more preferable to the fully cooked version and that taste will win out over presentation. They always go back the criteria of which dish would you want to back for.

Why are people saying that she was robbed? I can’t see what the justification for that is.

Have you not watched the show the last 3 or 4 years? It’s been this way for a few seasons. Finals week is not what it was in the earlier seasons. You always have 3 or 4 remaining at the end of finals week and then 2 or 3 episodes the following week (Grand Final week)

Yeah but Mimi put ingredients together that just didn’t work. Ricotta and figs? It sounds disgusting. She should have just whipped up a bit of cream when she realised the cheese was ricotta and could have smoked that the cream the same way and the dish would have tied together (and she would possibly still be there). A slightly undercooked Brownie is still delicious as it’s still gooey in the middle which you want. The cake was still holding itself, it only looked bad based on presentation with that small centre slump. When George cut it up into 3 pieces for each of them to taste, they were perfect squares. She probably should have presented it on the plate that way and it would have been fine.

Contestant Matt was at the Regional Flavours food festival at Brisbane’s South Bank last weekend with last year’s runner-up Georgia Barnes, the three judges and Miguel Maestre from The Living Room. There is speculation that he might have won.
Here is the photo of Matt and Georgia
Remember the grand final was filmed in early May probably again with two endings.

Rather pointless speculation, as even he wouldn’t know if he had won with the producers only telling the contestants the result a few hours before the final goes to air.