MasterChef Australia

Why on earth does this rag rumours get posted on here? It takes up space of real news!

1 Like

I personally think it would be best. A nice mark of respect.

1 Like

Definitely not! If someone passes away in a drama series should the rest of the cast retire too? No, they carry on as Andy and Melissa should!

4 Likes

Im in two minds. Definitely wouldnt be surprised if it happened. And wouldn’t hold it against them if they did.

And if they left it would be more about money than anything.

From Tuesday 4 July to Thursday

MasterChef Australia hits the road, rolling into the bountiful Murray region of Victoria, fondly known as Australia’s food bowl.

The following week is revealed as the final week.

Well that might be a call that Andy and Mel decide to make and you can’t hold it against them if they do. I think Andy might be more likely to pull away if either of them did. The timing might be right and for the show it could be a smoother way to move forward if another judge didn’t return as it won’t then just feel like we just have that 1 new person to replace Jock.

There is something a tad stale about this season. It is lot to do with the casting and an overall weaker cast (some people left are quite average, even someone like Ralph making it as far as he did wouldn’t have happened a lot of other seasons). I also thought the season being themed “Secrets and Surprises” was going to shake up the format a bit more. I would’ve liked it to be a bit more unpredictable in the format too because I’m not a big fan of the Wed/Thurs nights leading up to just 1 person being immune from a Sunday immunity. It sometimes feels like a bit of a drag.

3 Likes

I actually like the all-in elimination format. In the first 11 seasons, only the bottom 3/4 contestants from Sunday’s invention test and losing team from Wednesday’s team challenge faced elimination, meaning some weaker contestants (if they were lucky enough) would survive until they made the top 10. The all-in elimination keeps everyone on their toes.

2 Likes

It’s Not Easy Being Green.

Adi Nevgi Eliminated From MasterChef Australia.

Tonight’s elimination episode saw our top eight battle it out to stay in the competition. Everyone except Malissa, who had secured immunity from tonight’s cook, partook in a two-round challenge, the first of which was a taste test with a twist.

Surrounded by what looked like a science lab, contestants were offered colourful petri dishes that contained a flavoured pearl, with an ingredient distilled down to its purest flavour profile. Putting their palates to the test, it was up to the contestants to guess the flavour, with no scent, no visual clues and no textures to assist them.

Proving harder than it looked, Adi was the first to guess incorrectly, mistakenly guessing thyme for rosemary. Declan shortly followed, guessing coriander for cucumber, trailed by Rue who guessed jalapeno for wasabi. Finally, after Brent chose turmeric instead of saffron, the round two cooks were selected.

Round two was all about colour palettes and Adi, Declan, Rue and Brent were each assigned a colour at random which had to act as inspiration for their dish. With 75 minutes on the clock, contestants had to cook a dish with their colour front and centre. The least impressive dish would send its maker home.

Adi was assigned green – the one colour she didn’t want. She lost precious time on the clock, paralysed by her indecision. Feeling the pressure, she finally decided to cook kingfish sashimi with a Middle Eastern spicy, green zhug sauce with tapioca crackers. Adi struggled to balance the heat, acidity and savoury notes in her sauce and worked frantically to plate up without tasting each element together.

Rue had orange and highlighted apricots in a lemon verbena parfait, with apricot coulis and compressed apricots. She’d never made the dish before as a whole but remained focused.

Declan’s colour was red and he instantly gravitated towards a khao moo daeng with noodles. He was determined to show how much he’d learnt in the competition so far and set off to stain his pork with red food colouring before twice cooking it. He developed a broth, noodles and a sambal.

Brent had yellow and played to his strengths, cooking an octopus yellow curry. He hoped not to use his immunity pin but it did cross his mind at various points throughout his cook.

Upon tasting, the judges were disappointed with Rue’s parfait. While it had good flavour, it was too soft and the plum liqueur in her coulis hadn’t cooked off. Declan’s khao moo daeng was praised, as was his evolution in the competition so far. Andy couldn’t believe that Brent had even considered using his pin with his octopus curry dish cooked perfectly. Adi knew that she didn’t have the best cook and while her dish met the green brief, the judges were let down by her unbalanced and underwhelming zhug sauce.

Before Adi said farewell to her fellow contestants, Jock celebrated her deep understanding of cooking and cuisines as a relative newcomer to the kitchen.

1 Like

Makes it sound like she’s an alien

1 Like

Oh Shucks! Beef And Oyster Sauce Not Up To Scratch.

Rue Mupedzi Eliminated From MasterChef Australia.

Tonight’s elimination saw a pressure test set by international trailblazer, three-time Michelin star and three-hatted chef, Clare Smyth. It was up to Rue, Cath and Malissa to cook a dish straight from the menu of Clare’s Sydney restaurant, Oncore. Her famous ‘beef and oyster’ dish is inspired by a beef, oyster and Irish stout pie and with 134 steps, it’s extremely challenging to replicate. The contestant that plated up the dish least like Clare’s was sent home.

Rue and Malissa managed to stay on top of the recipe from the start, however Cath made the first error. Instead of melting the fat for the beef sauce over low heat, she burnt hers, which forced her to start again. While trying to catch up, she continued to use her intuition to get her oyster emulsion done. As time ticked down and the seared wagyu component desperately needed to begin, Cath had to choose between focusing on her steak or her oyster crisp knowing she wouldn’t get every element plated, pushing forward with the steak.

In her first pressure test of the season, Rue managed to stay focused and worked clean. With two hours down and only just tasting her reduced ragu sauce, she found it very salty and had to work with limited ingredients to correct it. She eventually used vinegar to balance the saltiness but it put her behind and in an effort to multitask, she rushed elements and made a series of small mistakes. As she rushed to finish, she knew her oyster sauce consistency wasn’t quite right and realised too late that she had forgotten her raw wagyu slices to wrap around the poached oyster.

Now somewhat comfortable in pressure tests, Malissa fared well throughout her cook and found her groove. She was determined not to use her immunity pin and did her best to trust herself throughout the cook. Nearing the end of the pressure test however, and after she completed all the elements, her nerves got the better of her and couldn’t stand the thought of possibly being eliminated with the pin still on her apron. With just seconds remaining she decided to play the pin, making her way to the safety of the gantry.

On tasting, the judges and Clare commended Rue on getting nearly all of the dish complete. While her pie mix was good, the wagyu was slightly under-caramelised and undercooked, and her beef and oyster sauce was runny.

Cath’s sauce was praised for being a good consistency and, in comparison to Rue’s, it was glossier and more viscous. Her oyster emulsion also had great flavour and consistency.

While both dishes missed an element, the one marked difference was the sauce. Cath managed to achieve a close replica to Clare’s, sadly leaving Rue to be eliminated.

Applauded by judges and fellow contestants, Rue’s achievements, including her very own ‘BarbeRue’ sauce being created and stocked in Coles stores nationwide, were highly praised as was her growth throughout the competition.

Ridiculous.

Hoping they would it make into finals week. I’m not keen on the immunity pin person.
I’m hoping Brent, Declan and maybe Rhiannon will be the top 3.

1 Like

Declan for sure ,maybe Malissa or Theo too?I’m happy for Brent that he made it this far into the competition,considering he had to leave his previous season because of his mental health issues

The current season will be shown across South East Asia on Lifetime Asia from next Monday (July 3), at 8.30pm weeknights Singapore/Hong Kong time.

Hong Kong’s TVB Pearl is close to finish screening season 14 from last year.

What exactly?

Brent, Declan and Theo for me. I think that Brent and Theo are better cooks than Declan but I love Declan’s entertainment value. He would make a great cooking show/entertainment host. I also like Malissa but the other two women are just good home cooks and not worthy to win IMO.

2 Likes

The result, obviously.

That makes sense. :grin: I don’t think so. didn’t really rate Rue’s cooking and her ‘giggling’ was “doing my head in” as does Cath with her ‘wows’!

1 Like

Only three episodes for finals week (July 9 to 11) due to State of Origin game three on July 12, and the debut of Dogs Behaving (Very) Badly Australia on July 13.

2 Likes