MasterChef Australia

Synopsis for grand final week

Sunday July 10
Peter Gilmore has created some of the most famed and punishing pressure tests in MasterChef history, For a spot in the semi finals, contestants must simultaneously cook two of his most complex dishes.

Monday July 11 - semi final
Shannon Bennett is back for the semi final, running the pass and offering advice. Contetants must create a three-course menu worthy of a place in the Finale for 20 diners each plus the judges.

Tuesday July 12 - grand final
Welcome to the Grand Final! Our two gifted finalists enter the kitchen for the last time and they’ll have to impress Heston Blumenthal and our judges to win the title of MasterChef 2022 and $250,000.

2 Likes

Rigging would be if Julie stayed, production and the judges favoured her the whole season.

2 Likes

I agree. They have majorly over hyped some of her dishes. It annoys me when people who cook simpler dishes constantly get praised, yet often others that take risks on far more complex dishes get criticised on minor flaws. I think the difficulty needs to be weighed up. Even last night Julie’s was a pretty standard dessert, nothing special.

I think it was Julie’s time but still was sad to see her go. It was nice to have her a part of this season. I would like to see Billie or Sarah win. I like that they take risks and are a bit more inventive than the others.

2 Likes

Just back on this. Let’s just remember that we don’t see everything. Just because they show the judges giving tips or advice to a particular contestant, doesn’t mean that they haven’t done the same to the others. I think these judges are a lot more fair and consistent than Matt, Gary and George were.

At the end of the day someone burning their food is pretty much going to send them home. As long as Daniel served up an edible dish he wasn’t going to go over Julie.

1 Like

MasterChef Australia Grand Finale Week Is Here.

MasterChef Australia: Fans & Favourites Grand Finale Week Starts Sunday, 10 July At 7.30pm On 10 And 10 Play.

The MasterChef Australia: Fans & Favourites top four has been decided, but will it be Billie, Daniel, Keyma or Sarah who takes out the title of MasterChef Australia 2022?

Get ready for epic challenges from the biggest names in the culinary world with Heston Blumenthal, Peter Gilmore and Shannon Bennett all returning to the MasterChef kitchen to push the contestants to their limits.

I hope Jock wore his kilt in the finale episode, I think he did last season or the one before.
I hope Keyma or Daniel won but it was probably Billie who won

Jock can be seen wearing his kilt in the grand final (with the trophy on display), right at the start of the promo above.

1 Like

Yes he is ,I’ve just watched the promo

1 Like

Promo

And Then There Were Three.

Keyma Vasquez Eliminated From MasterChef Australia: Fans & Favourites.

She may have arrived on the show as a Fan, but tonight, Keyma left the MasterChef kitchen as one of our favourites.

It was the big elimination before the MasterChef Australia: Fans & Favourites semi-final, and with Billie securing a spot in tomorrow’s challenge following her victory last week, Keyma, Sarah and Daniel arrived knowing that only two spots remained.

The trio were thrilled and terrified to see Peter Gilmore of Quay and Bennelong walk through the door, a guest chef whose former pressure tests are famous for being some of the most illustrious and punishing in MasterChef Australia history.

At the helm of a restaurant which has held three chef hats for 18 consecutive years, Peter revealed both a savoury dish – raw Abrolhos Island scallop, katsuobushi cream and sea cucumber crackling, and a sweet dessert – “Moo”. The dishes were intricate and layered with complex flavours, complete with various textures and elements. The contestants had two and a half hours to recreate both dishes, plus three minutes to plate up the dessert ahead of tasting.

When it was time to taste, Daniel was first to present his dishes and the judges were impressed. Daniel’s savoury dish was close to being an exact replica of Peter’s, his katsuobushi cream couldn’t be faulted, and his dessert was beautifully layered and whipped.

Sarah started the cook strongly but found herself rattled towards the end, and she was concerned about the whipped cream on top of her dessert. In the three minute rush to assemble her dessert, she ran out of time, leaving her a biscuit short. Peter was thrilled with Sarah’s efforts, in her savoury dish the katsuobushi cream was well balanced, her scallops well dressed and the dish in its entirety was perfection. The ice cream in her dessert was identical to the original, but Andy admitted it was hard to distinguish between the elements.

Last up was Keyma who struggled with a number of elements during the challenge. The judges and Peter agreed that her savoury dish didn’t look as refined as the original, but her crackling was perfectly crispy and walnuts beautifully peeled, however the lack of katsuobushi cream had left the dish unbalanced. The caramel in Keyma’s dessert was wonderful, the cream was whipped nicely and her biscuits were great, but the ice cream was a little icy.

When it came time for the verdict, Andy said that on a day like today every decision mattered, and it was Keyma’s slip ups during the cook that saw her eliminated from the MasterChef kitchen, leaving Sarah, Daniel and Billie in the semi-final tomorrow night.

MasterChef Australia: Fans & Favourites Semi-Final.
Monday, 11 July At 7.30pm

1 Like

I didn’t know that former winner Brent Owens had left the food industry and started a biotech company.

1 Like

Billie And Sarah Through To The Grand Finale.

Daniel Lamble Eliminated From MasterChef Australia: Fans & Favourites.

It was the service challenge to end all service challenges, and unfortunately it meant the end of Daniel’s time in the MasterChef kitchen, leaving Billie and Sarah vying for the title of MasterChef Australia 2022.

With the dining tables set and past contestants cheering from the gantry, Billie, Daniel and Sarah arrived for the semi final, desperate to fight for one of two coveted spots in tomorrow’s grand finale.

The three finalists had the task of cooking an entrée, main and dessert for 20 diners plus the judges, and had four hours until their entrées needed to leave the pass. From there they had 45 minutes per course to send out all their plates. With pressure at an all-time high, the judges invited back, friend and mentor, Shannon Bennett to run the kitchen and offer his guidance to the top three.

First to have their entrée dish tasted was Daniel, and he was proud to be sending out his lemon myrtle cured kingfish, coconut emulsion, charred and pickled red onion and paperbark oil. The judges agreed that the presentation was fantastic, and the dish was a real triumph.

Billie was up next and while she was happy with her flavours, she was worried about her plating. When the judges tasted her mussels with pea and horseradish soup, Andy said he was on the fence and Melissa agreed that Billie hadn’t knocked it out of the park.

Finally it was time to taste Sarah’s scampi with curry and salsa, and Jock was mystified as to how she had managed to pull it all together, especially when result was absolutely stunning and full flavoured.

Billie was first to serve her main, and sadly the judges could see there wasn’t a medium cook on her apricot duck, but thankfully the rest of her elements came together wonderfully, with the judges calling it a perfect plate of food except for the overcooked duck.

Sarah and Daniel’s main courses were delayed and Shannon demanded that they leave the pass. Daniel was upset when his trout skin stuck to the hibachi because there was too much moisture in the fish. The judges found his barbecued coral trout with coastal curry sauce was nicely cooked, but the skin hadn’t had time to crisp up, Jock added that it reeked of a dish made in haste.

Sarah was happy with the flavours of her lamb saag and spiced jus, and she plated it up quickly as her dishes headed out to the dining room. The judges agreed that the dish was very tasty and cooked well, and the only fault was that it wasn’t served on time.

Billie was ready to send out her dessert, thrilled to see her semi final journey nearing its end. The judges dove into her lamington and were blown away by the flawless dish.

Sarah sliced the pears for her dessert and discovered that they were undercooked, and was devastated to send out not only her main course late but also her dessert. When the judges tasted her masala spiced pears, Jock said he loved the spice combination but the pears were definitely undercooked.

Daniel was ready to send out his desserts, and received applause from the gantry when he perfectly flipped his tarte tatin, but as he went to grab his coconut sorbet from the freezer he was devastated to realise he’d put it in the blast chiller, leaving it completely frozen. He fell behind quickly trying to find a solution, but in the end had no option but to send out the rum and pineapple tarte tatin without the sorbet. The judges said it was a dessert that exemplified his cook, great on paper but the execution wasn’t there.

In delivering their verdict, Jock said the lateness of mains and desserts from Sarah and Daniel couldn’t be overlooked, and with two courses late and a poorly executed dessert, Daniel was eliminated just shy of the MasterChef Australia: Fans & Favourites grand finale.

MasterChef Australia: Fans & Favourites Grand Finale.

Tuesday, 12 July At 7.30pm.

1 Like

My two faves from the start in the final! I’d be happy with either winning at this point but would love to see Billie take a double. She really does take risks and pulls out super creative dishes.

1 Like

Of all the service challenges at season’s end, this is arguably the worst one I had ever seen. Only two dishes were perfect (Daniel’s entree and Billie’s dessert), and both Sarah and Daniel sent out their mains and desserts late. All three contestants had four hours prep time. I think they all underestimated how much time they needed to create 23 dishes per course each (20 diners and 3 judges).

2 Likes

The judges seemed to love Sarah’s entree and main too (albeit coming out late). I’m glad the judges commented on taking late food into consideration in their decisions. That hasn’t always been the case in previous seasons. Billie likely would’ve had a perfect main if she didn’t prioritise cooking her duck during entree service to get food out on time.

That lamington dessert of Billie’s was one of the best dishes of the season. She always perfectly timed those really creative well executed dishes when it matters.

Billie hopefully won for the 2nd time,she hasn’t cooked a bad dish all this season

1 Like

Yep. I think Australian reality TV show history will be made tonight with Billie winning Masterchef twice and Reggie winning BB again.

4 Likes