MasterChef Australia

Exactly - British viewers tolerate spin-offs (indeed the BBC airs 3 versions of MasterChef each year) whereas Australian viewers generally haven’t

3 Likes

The UK doesn’t tend to stretch out their reality shows as much either. The regular MC season over there only goes for around 6 weeks.

1 Like

Jock Zonfrillo has told today’s Herald Sun that he suffered a serious allergic reaction during the filming of mini masterclass at Apollo Bay. The mini masterclass will air tonight as part of the team challenge.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/entertainment/jock-zonfrillo-has-revealed-he-suffered-a-surprising-allergic-reaction-during-masterchef-filming/news-story/c7e78d912cbb3906ef88d1fa6c373088

And they haven’t promoed it to death?

The clips in which Jock suffered an allergic reaction didn’t make it to air.

1 Like

Tonight’s episode saw the 13 contestants roaming around Melbourne CBD, taking photos with Samsung Galaxy S21, before returning to Langham Hotel at Southbank to make a dish inspired by one of the photos they captured.
With contestants cooking with the clock tower of Flinders Street station in the background, I kept a close eye on the time whenever it was shown on the screen. Turns out it was a long filming day for all. Based on the time displayed this was the timeline of the challenge.

8.30am contestants arrive at Langham Hotel. They are greeted by Jock, Mel and Andy and each receive a smartphone, and disperse
9.30am (approx.) contestants return to hotel
9.45am cooking starts
11.00am cooking finishes
12.20pm tasting begins
5pm Jock announces the top four who will qualify for the immunity challenge

2 Likes

Tasting began at 12.20pm. With judges scores at 5pm? That’s a long time between filming .

Each tasting generally takes 10-15 minutes, and what is shown on TV is just a snippet.

Then there is clean-up between cooking and tasting, and between tasting and judgment, which takes an hour or so.

1 Like

In last night’s episode the fried chicken was considered not technical enough, but the donuts with instant coffee was a big winner!

1 Like
3 Likes

According to the promo at the end of tonight’s episode, there will be a twist in Sunday’s elimination challenge, most likely the withdrawal of a contestant. The synopsis for that challenge is:

The contestants must decide how much of their 90-minute cook time they use in round one, because they will only have the remainder of that time to cook in round two.

Apart from Tommy who secured immunity, the other 12 contestants had to cook in pairs.

Here is the first look:
https://twitter.com/masterchefau/status/1403472107258974209

Unusual for MasterChef to finish with a Lifeline notice.

End of tonight’s program.

Plus

6 Likes

This is the top 12; not sure of the significance.

A great gesture by Jock to give his stress beads to Brent.

The top 12 was first revealed by Daily Mail on April 17. If the article is correct, last night’s elimination took place right before the Easter break.
I can recognise many contestants in the photos, including Tommy, Sabina, Scott, Kishwar and Linda.

In tonight’s team challenge they had an open pantry yet all 3 teams are cooking curry. I’m really starting to get tired of the lack of variety this season, everyone just sticking to the same old cuisines that they are comfortable with. Everything just seems completely dominated by south east Asian, Indian/Sri Lankan style cooking as that is what a lot of the strongest cooks are good at. Not really food of huge interest to me.

I also remember this Deliveroo challenge was filmed during that snap lockdown weekend in Feb, as I had been emailed to participate but I live too far away.

4 Likes

I’m glad I’m not the only one that feels that way. It has been a recurring problem each season, whether it is an ice cream, curry or desert but it is really evident this year. The past couple of seasons and the overuse of the bloody hibachi is another annoyance of mine.

4 Likes

I would get Subway & KFC delivered by Deliveroo to the Place that I work in.

It can’t be February because it took place after the Apollo Bay lobster challenge, which happened in March.