MasterChef Australia

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/food/eat/made-for-instagram-new-york-hotspot-charley-st-has-aussie-flavour/news-story/73d3959900674a53d766d5ab1be1a520

With a mint-coloured logo, painted white brick walls and an Australian flavour, Charley St - not a “street” but a cafe — is gaining serious attention in New York.

It’s owned by Dan Churchill, a former MasterChef Australia alumni (who appeared on the series in 2013)

Here he is in the promo for that year

Nigella Lawson arrives in Adelaide this weekend for her two-week speaking tour around Australia. That means filming of Nigella Week should be coming soon?

Yeah surely it would have to be. Or at least she will pop up on an episode.

George Calombaris is in Los Angeles for 48 hours, helping to cook for 1500 people at E.P. & L.P. in West Hollywood as part of G’Day USA. That means he will be absent from filming of at least one challenge on the current season of MC, taking into Australia Day public holiday into account.

Surprised he was let into the US…

Why? No conviction was recorded.

In an interview with Mediaweek to promote this season of My Kitchen Rules, Manu Feildel has revealed six people who were originally in the running to host MasterChef: Manu himself, Gary, George, Matt, Darren Simpson and Tobie Puttock. Darren and Tobie had not appeared on MC as guest chefs since, if I remember correctly.

Ten’s head of programming Daniel Monaghan has told TV Tonight that 4 weeks of the 11th season have already been filmed, including with Nigella Lawson (i.e. before the start of her speaking tour).

After 10 seasons, MasterChef is finally coming to Queensland. The show will film a week of episodes in the Sunshine State over the next fortnight.
https://www.couriermail.com.au/entertainment/confidential/masterchef-australia-channel-10-cooking-show-to-film-in-queensland-in-2019/news-story/11773bdf0c2e1e0982b11581773add98

2 Likes

There is definitely big push in QLD from 10 at the moment.

In what way?

I assume in these instances, the production company puts out some feelers to Tourism Bodies to see who would be interested in collaborating and what support they can offer etc.

It’s seems Tourism & Events Queensland have a renewed focus on bringing additional exposure to the state with their other supported events like Comm Games, Logies, Eurovision, new TV production facilities in Brisbane and movies filmed on the Gold Coast etc.

From friends adverising has really heated up in QLD.

It also gives Queensland a tourism boost especially after the recent floods in the north of the state.
The filming period coincides with the Caravan, Camping and Touring Supershow at Melbourne Showgrounds this week (February 20-25).

Here is the press release from Tourism and Events Queensland:

Queensland to host MasterChef Australia for the first time

MasterChef%20Australia%20Judges%20Gary%20Mehigan%20Matt%20Preston%20and%20George%20Calombaris

MasterChef Australia is set to be filmed in Queensland for the first time ever promoting the state’s unique local produce and world-class restaurants.

Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk said the Queensland Government, through Tourism and Events Queensland, was supporting ‘Queensland Week’ on the top-rating television show, bringing the full cast and crew to the Sunshine State over the next fortnight to film episodes set to air later in the year.

“Queensland has a vibrant food culture – MasterChef will help to showcase the beauty of our state and great quality of our produce to thousands of viewers across the country,” she said.

“This partnership will shine the spotlight directly on Queensland’s world-class food offering and will have viewers salivating for the freshest seafood, tropical fruits and vegetables and quintessential Queensland food experiences.

“The abundance of great quality local produce across the state is something that sets Queensland apart.

“From Hervey Bay scallops or Mooloolaba prawns straight off the trawlers, to the much sought-after Bowen mango straight from a farm in north Queensland, there’s plenty for tourists to look forward to.

“Visitors to Queensland are spoiled for culinary choices which perfectly reflect our enviable lifestyle and MasterChef will showcase that to the nation.”

Tourism Industry Development Minister Kate Jones said hosting MasterChef in Queensland would generate great exposure for the state’s tourism sector.

“Millions of people around Australia tune in to MasterChef each week. By hosting MasterChef in Queensland, prospective tourists will have beautiful images of our state beamed into their living rooms,” she said.

“One of Queensland’s bestselling points is our food. We have great produce and a unique foodie culture that will take a leading role on MasterChef this year.

“We’re investing more in tourism than any other government in Queensland’s history because we’re committed to finding new ways to promote our state and create jobs.”

Tourism and Events Queensland Chief Executive Officer Leanne Coddington said the state’s lead marketing agency had invested in the partnership to reinvigorate the way travellers think about food experiences in Queensland.

“Food and beverage experiences are one of the top considerations when choosing a holiday destination and this partnership is about showing Australians how they can enjoy the very best of Queensland’s amazing produce,” Ms Coddington said.

“By positioning Queensland as world-class producer and destination to enjoy unique culinary experiences, we aim to drive visitation and grow our market share.”

Network 10 Queensland general manager Angela Neville said the show would provide a great platform to promote local produce.

“I may be biased but I think Queensland has a lot of incredible food secrets yet to be discovered,” she said.

“It’s fantastic to be working with Tourism and Events Queensland to let the rest of Australia in on the best of our food culture in fun and creative ways.”

MasterChef judge Matt Preston said he’d spent so much time in South-East Queensland, he almost felt like a local.

“Whether that’s Noosa Food and Wine Festival, Regional Flavours or coming up to hang out with mates,” Mr Preston said.

“During those visits, I’ve got to play with an amazing array of Queensland produce - chicken, macadamia nuts, redclaw, mango, pineapple, coconut, black sapote, carrots, pumpkin – the list goes on and on. And I haven’t even started on the seafood”.

Fellow judge George Calombaris said he also loved travelling to Queensland.

“The produce, people and lifestyle are up there with the best our great country has to offer,” Mr Calombaris said.

“I’m really excited that Greek is the word in Queensland right now with two ripper new restaurants open- Hellenika and Greca. I’m so pumped to visit both”.

Network 10’s chief content officer Beverley McGarvey said it was exciting that even after 11 years, MasterChef Australia was going to a place it has never been before.

“We know Queensland has a lot to offer. Some of the show’s most popular contestants have come from Queensland including the finalists from each of the last four seasons - Ben Borsht, Ben Ungermann, Matt Sinclair and Georgia Barnes.”

“Here’s hoping the state can nab a winner this year! I’m really looking forward to seeing the best food experiences the state has to offer in our new season.”

1 Like

Cyclone Oma is predicted to land in south east Queensland in coming days, which could affect the filming of MC episodes.

2 Likes

I recently had lunch where that photo was taken. It’s a new food precinct at the base of the Kangaroo Pt cliffs. You can access it via a series of glass-sided lifts. Amazing outlook across the river.

3 Likes

I’ve seen some of the new Fantauzzo Hotel opening under there soon, the whole precinct is fantastic and long overdue really.

Perhaps 10 has finally realised that Brisbane is arguably their weakest market. Probably about time they tried to address the issue.

2 Likes

Yeah, it probably also doesn’t help that Ten produces very little of its programming (The weekday local 5pm news and some children’s programming for 10 Peach - is that it?) in Brisbane on a regular basis. Not that Seven or Nine are much better, mind you.

While it’s good that there’ll be a “Queensland Week” on the next series of MasterChef, I personally think Network Ten (and for that matter, Seven & Nine) need to consider the possibility of having the production of at least one major primetime main channel program permanently based in South East Queensland. That would likely provide more lasting benefits to the local industry than a “FIFO” week of MasterChef.

2 Likes

10 missed an opportunity with Five Bedrooms. Produced by Brisbane based Hoodlum but with a Melbourne location. It’s not as if 10 doesn’t produce any dramas in Melbourne. Given that so few of 10’s recent dramas have been successful, I don’t get why they keep going back for more.

Funding from Screen Victoria? Bigger audiences in Melbourne so more relatable? More resources, talent and crew avail down there?

Would love to see something quality produced in Brisbane.

1 Like