Master Antenna TV Systems (Hospitals, Hotels, etc)

Staying at Mantra Ettalong Beach tonight.

It’s all Sydney channels here plus 9NBN Central Coast, no 7 Regional (Prime7). WIN10 is not broadcast locally (as Bouddi is the local TX site here).

The MATV system retransmits most FTA stations in UHF61-69 range on the correct LCN channels. 7Bravo placeholder also appears on LCN 75. There’s also a handful of FOXTEL channels in the 350+ range.

3 Likes

Staying at Sydney Adventist Hospital’s Jacaranda Lodge tonight. As expected all Sydney channels come through as well as a handful of Foxtel and other channels. 7Bravo placeholder appears on LCN 75 as well. The MATV system has channels ranging from LCN 1 which is 10 HD to LCN 504 which is SAN TV 4. Radio channels are on x200 (for ABC radio), x350 (for SBS Radio), and x400 (for other stations in Sydney including Smooth FM on LCN 410). LCN 324 is a spare LCN as indicated by its LCN name (SPARE). It and the 7Bravo placeholder on LCN 75 currently shows the service isn’t available message.

5 Likes
4 Likes

As someone who was stuck in hospital for a week a few days ago, can tell you it is an rip-off. I was admitted as a private paitient, so the TV is free, but saw the prices a few weeks ago when seeing mum in hospital, and again when I was stuck in hospital for an unrelated matter. Hills are rip-off merchants.

I was in Nepean Hospital, and all I got was the FTA channels, plus 9 movie channels, which were either running the barker channels (trailers for the movies plus the schedule for upcoming movies), which seemed to be running more than the movies themselves.

Also should be noted, you only get the FTA radio channels (ABC and SBS) if you don’t pay up. And Hills staff have to go around and activate the service themselves in person - apparently they used to be able to do it remotely before all the reno works at Nepean but they are having signal/connectivity issues.

For what they’re charging, I’d want to have some Fox channels at least. And maybe pipe in the radio channels like 2GB, KIIS et. al.

I’d love to have them have Chromecast capabilities on those TVs but you’d need a very heavy duty Wifi network for paitients for any sort of decent streaming.

4 Likes

Although a lot less densely populated than a hospital most hotels I’ve stayed at of late offer Chromecast via a dedicated provider (Sonifi’s Staycast, SMTV, ADB’s vuTyme system as Foxtel’s Business iQ) accessible via a QR coded authentication page. I think it’s a wonderful addition and allows for audio streaming through the TV (which admittedly usually have terrible speakers).

3 Likes

Agree, at least most decent TVs will allow you to pair Bluetooth headsets to them which would be really handy in a hospital

3 Likes

Depends on what the hospital has in terms of the speakers - usually they are in the remote control, and some have 3.5mm jacks. You could use a Bluetooth transmitter to pump it out to a compatable headset.

2 Likes

I’ve also just had a thought, if the networks didn’t require users to sign up for accounts, they could’ve added all the networks apps as well and use smart TVs - instantly add more programming and no charge aside from data.

A TV bandscan which I filmed in Port Augusta just over two weeks ago:

• The LCN names were outdated (e.g “Eleven” instead of 10Peach, “Gem” instead of 9Gem), meaning that the TV hasn’t had an auto-scan in over seven years.
  • TVSN was listed twice as a result, on LCN 54 (which is actually SBN) and LCN 57.
  • There were ten Foxtel channels available to watch. However, they were only listed as “Fox1”, “Fox2” etc.

The most interesting thing of all though, and it’s also a great long-distance TV catch, was seeing Channel 44 Adelaide scanned into the TV! Port Augusta is almost 300kms away from Mount Lofty as-the-crow-flies and no other Adelaide channels were picked up, so it makes it all the more impressive that Channel 44 was picked up that far north.

5 Likes

The other Port Augusta channels are also UHF and The Bluff (local TX site) is in roughly the same direction as Adelaide. Legacy VHF channels were 1 and 4 so any TV antenna set up would not have been as likely to get 7.9 and 10. It’s a good catch still!

4 Likes

Also probably helps that 44 Adelaide has a really robust signal. I can’t recall the specifics, but between QPSK modulation, longer guard interval and a higher amount of error correction their whole mux is only like 5-6Mbit/s.
Very easy to pick up even when you don’t really make any effort to.

3 Likes

The hotel I’m staying at tonight in Tweed Heads has Lismore regionals in the 5x, 6x, 8x range (as I’ve seen some Lismore ads), but also the Bris/GC channels in the 7x, 9x, 1x range. ABC TV looks to be NSW.

Hard to be 100% sure on all of this as they have their bespoke LCN names eg. 10HD Northern NSW (instead of 10HD Lismore or 10HD Gold Coast as you would see on a normal DTV receiver)

3 Likes

Staying at Holiday Inn Sydney Airport this long weekend for Vivid Festival.

The TV system is pretty basic, with all FTA networks and Foxtel represented. Only HD channels from SBS are available (meaning I can’t watch the AFL match between Carlton and Essendon on 7mate) and no subtitles. Also the channel numbers do not match the LCN numbers.

FTA:
Ch1 - ABC TV
Ch2 - ABC Kids / ABC TV Plus
Ch3 - ABC ME
Ch4 - ABC News
Ch6 - Seven
Ch7 - 7two
Ch8 - 7mate (no signal)
Ch9 - 7flix
Ch10 - Racing dot com
Ch11 - Nine
Ch12 - 9Gem
Ch13 - 9GO!
Ch14 - 9Life
Ch15 - 9Rush
Ch16 - 10
Ch17 - 10 Bold
Ch18 - 10 Peach
Ch19 - 10 Shake
Ch22 - SBS HD
Ch23 - SBS Viceland HD
Ch24 - NITV
Ch25 - SBS Food
Ch26 - SBS World Movies
Ch27 - SBS World Watch

Foxtel:
Fox League - actual channel Sky News
Fox Sports 3 - MTV Classic
FOX8 - no signal
Discovery - Fox Cricket
MTV Classic - Fox League
Nickelodeon - TLC
Sky News - FOX8
TLC - Fox Sports 503

4 Likes

No 7Mate HD? That’s a shame…
I’m guessing no FOXTEL channels either?

Hope you have Kayo if you were planning to watch the AFL.

3 Likes

There are eight Foxtel channels but the channel names do not match.

I don’t have Kayo and have no intention of subscribing it.

4 Likes

Thanks for the updated post with FOXTEL examples, yes, that is a real mess!

3 Likes

Lol. That’s pretty bad that none of the names match. haha

3 Likes

The hotel I’m staying at in Melbourne is pretty new, so has the correct channel names

But 7mate is a blank screen (presumably pointing to the old SD LCN 73) and there is no 7bravo.

Numbers are as illogical as ever, other that the networks have their channels together and their main HD channel listed first.

5 Likes

Very weird channel names there

4 Likes

HDMI1 is my favourite channel! :stuck_out_tongue:

6 Likes