Nine Radio (Talk)

Surely MRN would just simulcast NTS Digital (which I personally think is a near total waste of bandwidth in itself, but that’s another story) if they really wanted to stop producing a unique overnight program for 2UE?

Very to see Bruce Mansfield has passed away after a long battle with prostate cancer aged 71.
http://www.3aw.com.au/news/farewell-to-a-legend-bruce-mansfield-dies-aged-71-20160417-go86ye.html

2 Likes

So sad to hear this. Bruce Mansfield and Philip Brady were a perfect double act on Nightline and entertained listeners over the years. A huge loss to 3AW.

3 Likes

Just hearing the tragic news Bruce Mansfield has passed away.

What a lenend of Melbourne & Australian radio & TV!

Nightline with Bruce & Phil was one of the longest running radio programs, every Melburnian would’ve listened at least once during the evening.

I actually hope Phil might continue for a while, maybe solo or with Simon Owens

RIP :’(

(Stephen Quartermain tweeted on behalf of Ten Melbourne)

Very sad about Bruce Mansfield.

Take this video for example (many others if you wish to use one of them): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52LGmFVSGeQ

Who is Bruce and who is Phil in it? Trying to work out what voice is what.

1 Like

Details on a public memorial service for Bruce Mansfield in the Matches, Hatches, Dispatches thread.

1 Like

3AW will broadcast live the public memorial service for Bruce Mansfield today from 2pm to 3pm (AEST).

2 Likes

A lifestyle change at 2UE is closer. The Caravan and Camping Show is making the switch from 2GB and to a better time slot of 3pm Fridays.

Watch them all shift over… That 2GB wedding show and all.

3 Likes

Is Duck Creek still going to host?

A good decision.

Yes a good decision to get the show off 2GB. It’s ok to bury it on a Saturday night during the NRL season (so few people can hear it) but on a Saturday afternoon its awful to listen to.

Yep. Same hosts.

1 Like

Three hours of camping and 4WD info on a Friday afternoon. Do they seriously think there’s an audience for that? In any case, I thought The Bowen was paneling for Ben Fordham on 2GB from 3-6pm. How can he do that while also presenting on 2UE?

Probably pre-recorded like it is now.

Thanks. I’ve never listened so I didn’t realize. That makes it even less interesting IMHO.

Was flicking between stations and just heard Ray Hadley having a go at 2UE. He said 2GB would continue to be Sydney’s premier talkback stations whilst they would move lifestyle shows that didn’t rate to 2UE.

I can’t believe the decision to move a show about camping to a weekday prime slot. I wish Macquarie would keep 2CH and sell 2UE to someone who would make it a viable option rather than killing it off.

Hadley never rushes to say a good word about 2UE, even post-merger! However, on this occasion I’m surprised he wasn’t more supportive of his mates about the move.

If Macquarie’s strategy is as Hadley describes - to move lower rating shows to 2UE - then I think it is a strange one! If a show isn’t rating, shouldn’t it be ditched altogether?! This doesn’t bode well for the rebuilding of 2UE - which I fear will end up as a hotch potch of shows with no coherent overall sound or feel to the station.

I think the new show will be live (isn’t the current 2GB show usually live? On the odd occasions I’ve heard it, I’m sure they’ve given out the phone number for calls). From what I gather, it will be the standard format of a weekday afternoon/drive show, with news and travel inserts etc but with the features/interviews/guests etc all being related to the subject matter of the show. Ben Fordham will have to find a new panel operator for Fridays!

Personally I don’t see it setting the ratings alight in that weekday slot but we shall see.

1 Like

Maybe MRN are deliberately making 2UE as unappealing as possible so they can quickly sell it off?

If so that sounds like quite an odd strategy, although it wouldn’t surprise me…

1 Like

Yeah I hear of large companies buying small companies and run it down until it no longer exists. But radio stations? I don’t think its a healthy environment at UE. Its seems quite bitter. It sort of like the ultimate revenge after Alan Jones and Hadey left all those years ago.
I don’t recall 2day FM, triple m or 2WS and Mix having the same issue.

If the shows aren’t rating on the #1 Talk station is Sydney, they will rate even less on 2UE. What advertiser in their right mind would spend money on these shows???

1 Like

I’m not sure 3pm on a Friday is a great timeslot.