Long distance television

It is a REAL shame that there are hardly any DXable TV frequencies left now.

In my area, all I have ANY hope for are VHF 10 and UHF 29, 34, 45 and 49-51.

And the nature of digital being that you need virtually NiL interference from an unwanted station to be able to get the signal that would otherwise be DXable.

1 Like

MySwitch tells me that I should have good reception of the Illawarra stations but Iā€™ve never had any luck. I assume itā€™s because the antenna on top of my unit block is set up to get the Sydney stations only.

1 Like

Yes, Yagis in particular can be very directional.

The longer the antenna, the more directional I think.

And there can be signal loss with shared antennas and long cable runs in those set ups too,

Possibly a VHF only antenna ?

The main chances for me are VHF 10 and UHF 36 (Rockhampton) or as you said hoping for a distant station to overpower a closer one.

1 Like

Well the chances of me getting some TV DX from Melbourne is none.

But from the other location SE of Geelong I should receive, Launceston (rare), Gippsland, Ballarat (if I point the antenna NW) and Melbourne (gets patchy at night)

I have received none of them except Melbourne.

Sometimes I pray on DX because of the patchy signal on the Melbourne signals, tho sometimes I think the old set top box is the cause of the problems sometimes.

Iā€™m going down there tomorrow until Monday but I doubt I can share any caps because I havenā€™t had any luck receiving any of the regionals on the set top box thats there.

TV DXing for me is going from two sets of the Melbourne channels to three.

1 Like

Soā€¦ Mt Dandenong, Inner Melbourne/South Yarra and then Geelong as the 3rd?

Just saying ā€œhoping for a distant station to overpower a closer oneā€ seemed to have worked tonight. There are a set of SE suburban relay stations in Brisbane that usually occupy 29-33 but tonight these were massively overpowered by the Mt Mowbullan transmitters that serve the Darling Downs on the same frequencies but 170km away. All coming in at signal strength near 10 on the Panasonic.

6 Likes

Yep.

South Yarra as I get the C31 repeater as well.

1 Like

Thanks!

Didnā€™t realise the Inner Melbourne Tx didnā€™t transmit C31.

Awesome. Do you know if Toowoomba can often receive Brisbane signals from Mt Cootha? According to Wikipedia they often can, but I have a hard time believing that.

1 Like

Well done!

From memory, I think youā€™re up Caboolture way?

Which means youā€™re far enough away from the Bris SE relays for them to not cause any real issues when DXing?

My Switch suggests very patchy coverage from the Bris SE Txs anywhere on the north side of the river (at best).

Iā€™m an close to the bay to the south of the river so that the SE suburban relays are annoyingly always present.

Yes, in certain parts of Toowoomba itself (close to the edge of the range) it is very easy to receive the Brisbane stations with the correct antenna - an easterly facing VHF one.

The Darling Downs mains transmitter though are a fair way from Toowoomba in the Bunya Mountains, so much so that the town needs several sets of relay stations.

1 Like

Inner Melbourne is different to South Yarra.

Inner Melbourne is based in the Melbourne CBD and only carries ABC, SBS 7,9,10

1 Like

From memory, the Melbourne CBD repeater is in Bourke Street and South Yarra is atop the Como Centre

Yes, thereā€™s still many high-gain VHF installations in Toowoomba dating back from years ago as well, all to pick up Brisbane TV. As per many regional areas though, these are decaying and far less in use than they were back in the 80s

The Brisbane SE relays are a bit odd for mine. The transmitter is located so far out of town (itā€™s actually within the City of Gold Coast LGA) and seems to service a random patch around Beenleigh and Logan, as well as the northern Gold Coast. I always thought the reception issues were more out towards the bay, or further in to the south/east of Mt Gravatt, so this doesnā€™t really service them

Iā€™ve also seen precious few installations aiming for them. Even in all the new housing estates around Pimpama and Ormeau where Mt Tamborine doesnā€™t come in very well, you see more VHF installations aiming for Coot-tha than you do vertical antennas pointing to the new translator

1 Like

Correct.

Yes I knew that.

They share the same block of frequencies.

I just didnā€™t know that the Inner Melbourne (Bourke Street) Tx didnā€™t have C31 on it (I knew South Yarra did).

pretty soon no tx will have C31 on itā€¦ (thanks, Malcolm)

3 Likes

SC Nine received from Rockhampton received this morning on ch 36.

5 Likes