Long distance television

Yep that’s all, one of those rectangular shaped ones with the v-shaped elements (UHF phased array)

3 Likes

Mildura into Renmark tonight, been at least a year or two since anything from Mildura has made an appearance on TV

5 Likes

Is Ch-54 still active on the 10 Mildura mux?

2 Likes

Not sure, I think channel 54 (sky news) switched over when WIN and TEN when they swapped bandwidths in the Mildura region

2 Likes

Sky News was never in Mildura I’m pretty sure? It was never on any of the JV stations. 54 in WA has just been the scenic loop. Wonder if Mildura has the same

3 Likes

Even the highly elusive PRIME7 made an appearance this morning in Renmark (not seen since 2018), think this is only the second time it’s ever shown up here. Much stronger than previously however many years ago it last showed up

6 Likes

Thats right, 54 was never Sky News here and I assume Mildura too. I’m just curious if WIN has left it on this whole time just like in WA.

4 Likes

Mildura used to have Sky News on WIN/regional until 1st August 2021, that doesn’t answer the question whether WIN are still running an empty channel like 54 in WA however. Definitely no empty channel across the boarder in WIN SA territory

WA being its own weird beast, I’m sure there’s a reason why 54 still runs that loop. :dizzy_face:

3 Likes

When WIN was on Ten in Mildura, 84 looks like it had TVSN and when they switched back, they just left it at 84 instead of getting it moved to 54 (or possibly 53, no 10 Shake there apparently) in line with the Ten block (given that Prime and now 7 would’ve had to allow that presumably, being the joint venture channel).

Mildura’s Ten block is currently 5 (10 SD), 50 (10 HD), 51 (Bold), 52 (Peach) and that’s it.

3 Likes

I don’t think anyone was expecting otherwise. TVSN remained with WIN regardless of affiliation, in all WIN markets, even the solus ones where WIN is in full control over the Ten station.

Regardless, TVSN has nothing to with 54. It was established around the same time WIN was caught not fulfilling their local content obligations on their Nine-affiliated stations, which means it was/is very likely a dumping ground for Australian content to keep up the quota without having to make it a full multi-channel.

Is it? I thought they simulcast 10 HD on 5 and 50 like Griffith and Mt Gambier/Loxton/Riverland?

2 Likes

Looks like you’re right, pardon me. Not a local obviously.

Can someone tell me what type of antenna this is? I see them alot in Traralgon and they look like they are directed at Mount Dandenong and are on very tall masts

4 Likes

Top one is a Band 3 VHF for picking up the old analogue 7, 9 and 10 from Melbourne. Such an antenna will also pick up SBS and ABC these days. The one below is an FM antenna. Those antennas look like they’ve seen better days and probably don’t work anymore, or as well as they used to.

6 Likes

Yep, that exact assembly, particularly the top one, was a very common sight right through Gippsland for a long time.

5 Likes

Interesting. Surprised nobody has seemed to take them down. Theyre all still a fairly common feature of the town.

2 Likes

Probably just as easy to leave them there dormant. We have a foxtel dish on our roof left behind by the previous owners. It just sits there, we’re not in any hurry to remove it and we have no interest in utilising it.

4 Likes

I have one of those foxtel/austar dishes on my house and it works perfectly fine for picking up VAST

5 Likes

I’m currently getting Nine (NBN) Newcastle quite well at my home near Campbelltown! :open_mouth:

This is thanks to tonight’s tropo that’s currently happening.

EDIT: I’m no longer receiving it.

4 Likes

On the NSW South Coast, and driving through Batehaven and Sunshine Bay, a lot of houses there get their signal from Little Forest Trig up near Milton rather than the local Mt Wandera site.

I noticed a similar thing around St Georges Basin in the Shoalhaven yesterday, with many antennas pointed south at Little Forest too.

I even saw a few Knights Hill set ups around Batehaven - Sunshine Bay too! (130 kms!).

1 Like

This has been the case since the translator first came into service in February 1991, which had the added bonus of having SBS available from the site, as Mt Wandera didn’t have it available until 2001.

Also, the signal path between Batehaven-Sunshine Bay & Little Forest Trig is a bit more clear than it is towards Mt Wandera, as there’s quite a big hill to the south west that impedes the signal a bit from the latter site.

3 Likes