Long distance television

I think Nine Adelaide was too weak to pick up. I just have a normal UHF antenna pointing towards the transmitter at Loxton

3 Likes

That UHF antenna isn’t even the right antenna type or polarisation to catch those signals - good get

1 Like

Yes, that’s amazing really…

Wrong antenna type, wrong polarity, wrong direction and you still get Adelaide (and Mildura).

Think it was just a freak event or could’ve been atmospheric/weather conditions. Almost had the stations again the other day, signal strength was jumping between 2 to 5-7 but the signal quality was zero

1 Like

Different TV in the house this morning, severe pixelation and unwatchable. Loungeroom TV (Panasonic) wouldn’t pick this up (signal quality: 1, signal strength: 3) but the spare room TV (LG) picked it up (signal strength or quality was 8-9% and the other was 0%)

1 Like

Interesting channel names from MDT here, using GEM HD instead of just GEM. Does 7 Qld/SC/WIN do this for their old HD multi-channels in other areas?

2 Likes

Can I get any other channels other than NBN Newcastle, WIN Newcastle and , Prime7 Newcastle and their secondary channels in Cessnock area in NSW?

Nothing from 7 QLD. Anytime there is any sport showing, they do attach a HD bug to their 7mate sport logo but there is no other mention of HD anywhere else on the channel

1 Like

Highly unlikely, no.

Cessnock is not a very good spot for receiving out of area signals.

:eyes:

Tweet from the Hay Mate concert. That’s one big installation.

The house on Street View

3 Likes

Could the installation have been for Newcastle??

2 Likes

Yep. They are band 2 antennas. For Newcastle

3 Likes

Funny that!

I was in Tamworth earlier today, drove past Scully Park, I saw that antenna and thought, “what the f*** is that for”?

It couldn’t be Sydney, as ABUN7 and NEN9 would make ATN7 and TCN9 reception impossible. Unless they only wanted TEN10.

As its horizontal and north/south facing, that ruled out CWN6 or CBN8.

The elements look too short for NBN3, but then I can’t think what else!?

3 Likes

Just judging by the pictures I’m pretty sure that the elements match band II - they are too long for band III.

1 Like

I always thought Mt Dowe - there were a lot more around town (particularly in that area)

NRN11/RTN8 OR ECN8?

It didn’t look to be pointing in quite the right direction for NRN11 or RTN8.

ECN8 is vertical, so it wasn’t that.

As @Mechsta posted, it appears that it’s for NBN3 Newcastle.

1 Like

Not quite in the right position of DDQ0 then either?

No, DDQ would have been impossible since Tamworth also had a NEN Channel 0 relay operating at the local Bald Hill site (to relay NEN 9 off Mt Dowe up in the Kaputar National Park).

They also only swapped from DDQ10 to DDQ0 in 1988 (as a swap with TVQ TEN Brisbane)

1 Like

They’re not a VHF-10 antenna either even if was pointed the right way.

2 Likes