Long distance television

Top one is a Band 3 VHF for picking up the old analogue 7, 9 and 10 from Melbourne. Such an antenna will also pick up SBS and ABC these days. The one below is an FM antenna. Those antennas look like they’ve seen better days and probably don’t work anymore, or as well as they used to.

6 Likes

Yep, that exact assembly, particularly the top one, was a very common sight right through Gippsland for a long time.

5 Likes

Interesting. Surprised nobody has seemed to take them down. Theyre all still a fairly common feature of the town.

2 Likes

Probably just as easy to leave them there dormant. We have a foxtel dish on our roof left behind by the previous owners. It just sits there, we’re not in any hurry to remove it and we have no interest in utilising it.

4 Likes

I have one of those foxtel/austar dishes on my house and it works perfectly fine for picking up VAST

5 Likes

I’m currently getting Nine (NBN) Newcastle quite well at my home near Campbelltown! :open_mouth:

This is thanks to tonight’s tropo that’s currently happening.

EDIT: I’m no longer receiving it.

4 Likes

On the NSW South Coast, and driving through Batehaven and Sunshine Bay, a lot of houses there get their signal from Little Forest Trig up near Milton rather than the local Mt Wandera site.

I noticed a similar thing around St Georges Basin in the Shoalhaven yesterday, with many antennas pointed south at Little Forest too.

I even saw a few Knights Hill set ups around Batehaven - Sunshine Bay too! (130 kms!).

1 Like

This has been the case since the translator first came into service in February 1991, which had the added bonus of having SBS available from the site, as Mt Wandera didn’t have it available until 2001.

Also, the signal path between Batehaven-Sunshine Bay & Little Forest Trig is a bit more clear than it is towards Mt Wandera, as there’s quite a big hill to the south west that impedes the signal a bit from the latter site.

3 Likes

In the 70’s before there were any local repeaters, people in Lakes Entrance would receive ABC on channel 4 and GLV10 from the main transmitters serving Gippsland from the Latrobe Valley. Assuming they were at the same location as the existing transmitters at Mt. Tassie, this would have been a distance of over 130 Km. When I stayed in a motel there while on holiday, the picture was fine, not snowy or anything, except on the first night where one channel faded out occasionally.

That same TV could consistently receive GTV9 Melbourne overnight, though the picture was snowy. When it was on the air, it could easily receive TNT9 Launceston at certain times, but at other times, nothing, presumably because the two stations would interfere with each other. It even received TV channels from New Zealand at times on Channel 0 which were very good quality, i.e. not fading in and out and hardly any snow.

In 1980 when ATV0 Melbourne became ATV10, GLV10 Gippsland became GLV8 and Lakes Entrance got a repeater on Channel 11. I don’t know when they got a UHF repeater for ABC TV.

4 Likes

According to the 1991-92 Department of Transport & Communications’ Annual Report, Lakes Entrance got their UHF repeater for ABC TV on 30th July 1991, in the lead up to the main ABC TV service out of Mt Tassie changing from VHF 4 to UHF.

4 Likes

This made me laugh.

I was playing around with the Myswitch coverage tool, and one of the transmiiter options for Marulan NSW was… Marvel Loch, WA! Hmm, I wonder how many Marulan residents have tried that!

4 Likes

Would the change of ABLV from 4 to UHF have roughly coincided with Mt Taylor becoming a translator for the Bairnsdale area as well? Many older antennas around Bairnsdale aimed west for not just fortutious Melbourne reception but Channels 4 and 10-then-8 as well. But by the mid-90s all aggregated commercial stations and ABC/SBS were definitely on from Mt Taylor.

3 Likes

From what I can find online through old Department of Transport & Communications’ annual reports, I’d imagine yes. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

WIN Wide Bay on Ch 10 received with UHF antenna.

3 Likes

Great capture!

What is “symbol quality”?

2 Likes

The amount of correct data

https://info.hdhomerun.com/info/troubleshooting:signal_strength_quality

3 Likes

I also had experiences receiving GTV9 and TNT9 together at Airey’s Inlet, depending on which direction the rabbit ears were pointing :stuck_out_tongue:

Once SBS vacated Channel 0 in Melbourne we got TV1 from New Zealand at least once and TVQ0 from Brisbane a few times. I don’t recall ever getting WIN (RTQ0) from Toowoomba but I suppose technically it could have been a remote possibility in the right conditions.

We used to get patchy reception of GLV10 from Gippsland but once it went to Channel 8 we lost it but when aggregation happened we could get average/poor reception of the UHF stations from Mt Tassie.

2 Likes

Bit of activity in Renmark this morning, dropped out pretty quickly though

2 Likes

Well THIS popped up on my TV in Newcastle tonight.

Its on UHF 29, so I’m not sure where this is from without my ACMA spreadsheet open. I don’t think it’s Bega as that should be “South Coast” not Wollongong???

Couldn’t get a watchable picture though.

7 Likes

There is a WIN relay at Taralga on 29.

3 Likes