Long distance television

If the enhancement is strong enough, I think it should still be able to pull it in. I picked up One from New Zealand in Sydney even though the signal was 90 degrees off angle to the antenna on the roof - and this was with just a run of the mill metro combination VHF/UHF aerial.

4 Likes

As @TV.Cynic has commented, the phased array VHF 4 stack antennas had a Band I add on. Plenty within the GTS-4 coverage area, many remain on masts, rusting away now with little use for them.

These are all isolated areas, GTS is the edge of terrestrial TV coverage, beyond that and it’s Imparja/SC with no SA news at 6pm (see Ceduna news yarn on Youtube). Most such antennas would’ve been up long before satellite too.

2 Likes

The local Newcastle Band 1 VHF / UHF antenna on my apartment building that is pointed at the local Mt Sugarloaf site is tonight picking up Seven, Nine and SBS from Sydney, but not TEN or ABC.

However, it is NOT getting the local channels. I haven’t spoken to my neighbours but I bet there’s more than a few people wondering what’s going on… not many would realise that ducting is causing the Wollongong channels to wipe out the locals.

Lucky for me my rabbit ears picks up Sydney pretty well most of the time, and tonight they are all showing 100% signal strength as well 100% quality. No Newcastle channels on that either, though it is picking up the local Warners Bay-Belmont North repeater SFN okay, which has the Newcastle feeds on them. I have also lost the Central Coast channels now.

5 Likes

Where does the translator source its signal from? Sugarloaf yet its RX antenna didn’t fall victim to ducting?

I THINK they are fed separately, at least on 9/NBN, as I remember them being in sync…

Prime7 and WIN MAY be fed off air since I think they were maybe half a second behind the Sugarloaf TXs.

I would daresay IF it is being off air, their receiving antenna is set up to minimise ducting issues.

1 Like

I note you posted some DX results in the AM/FM thread, I was wondering if your reception issues today could be impacted by co-channelling due to ducting?

2 Likes

It was an attempt at humour - mocked images with faux w/m followed by image of reindeer stuck in antenna :sunglasses:

5 Likes

I tuned in my parents new TV this morning in Tassie and was surprised to see in the Southern Cross channels that there was “iShop TV” there and I thought, I didn’t know Southern Cross had put in another shopping channel. Then I noticed “66 7Flix” as well and realised we must have picked up some mainland channels. Sure enough, in the 350 range we had “Prime7 Traralgon” and “WIN Gippsland”. It was a decent quality for 7flix though when it got it, we’d get about 5-10 minutes uninterrupted and then lose it for a minute or two and then it’d come back.

So the range from memory was:
6 - Southern Cross
60 - Southern Cross HD
61 - Southern Cross SD
62 - 7Two
63 - 7mate
64 - SBN
65? - iShopTV
66 - 7flix
68 - Racing.com

8 Likes

That is impressive!

I’m assuming your TV antenna is pointed at Mt Barrow meaning you are getting the VIC channels in on the side or the rear of your antenna?

Yep, Mt Barrow with some from Kelsey Tier which is the East Devonport translator too but most places in Devonport have theirs pointed to Mt Barrow.

2 Likes

Isn’t 7flix and ishoptv already available through Southern Cross in Tasmania?

No, it’s not.

1 Like

iShop is apart of Prime

Gippsland TV coming into Melbourne tonight according to the waveform.

1 Like

Given my FM results tonight, I had a go at trying to get the Southern Highlands TV broadcasts on UHF 49 & 50 - being SBS and Nine Wollongong (which is the only semi realistic chance I have at long distance TV these days due to co-channelling).

But no luck.

1 Like

I’m getting what looks like Prime7 on 564.5 From Mt Tassie but no luck getting any Service ID’s or anything like that.

1 Like

I’m getting Nine Newcastle at my home near Campbelltown!! :scream:

This is connected with a VHF/UHF antenna aimed towards Artarmon/Gore Hill/Willoughby.

Update: I’m also getting Prime7 from there too.

6 Likes

Possibly the best conditions for receiving Newcastle TV in Sydney since September 2011 when I managed to pick up what was then SC10 Newcastle on the old analogue UHF-57 broadcast?

I think I’m getting weak signals from the UHF-35 to 39 block tonight, although unfortunately not strong enough to store on my equipment (let alone decode any video/audio)!

1 Like

What makes tonight good conditions to receive Newcastle TV?
Does it depend on the weather?

The weather helps but overall, I’m pretty sure that the reason why TV and radio signals can often be received well outside their usual coverage area has something to do with temperature inversion.

Along with affecting radio & TV signals (interference and/or signals being received well outside their usual intended coverage area), temperature inversion can affect weather radars:

Despite those patterns, there was absolutely no rain in or around the Sydney metropolitan area.

3 Likes