Letters and Numbers

Could the selection of Hing as host along with the reported Saturday night timeslot point towards the rebooted Letters & Numbers being more like 8 Out of 10 Cats Does Countdown?

If SBS wanted to relaunch Letters & Numbers as it was, they could have picked a host who was similar to Richard Morecroft (ie; someone who would be ‘straight down the line’).

2 Likes

Quite possibly. I missed the mention of the time slot when I skimmed the article earlier.

Cats does Countdown must be doing well for SBS, given they’ve stripped it in prime time on Viceland and had it filling slots on the main channel too.

3 Likes

Going along the same lines as getting Magda to do The Weakest Link?

It’s been popping up in the multichannel demo Top 5 in recent times so it must be doing good business.

I hope that they’ll give the original version a good go before commissioning any spinoffs (including potential association with other shows like Mad as Hell or The Weekly).

1 Like

It’s has often popped up in multi demos.

2 Likes

What SBS on Demand calls Season 5 ? (2 ?) of Letters and Numbers , 100 episodes expires next Thursday on SBS on Demand. Season 1 in December. Didn’t even know the show was on there .

Also The Daily Mail at the end of their article

had this about a “memorable episode” , which is fake.

3 Likes
3 Likes

Celebrity Letters & Numbers premieres Saturday 2 October 7:30pm.

Not sure about the Celebrity aspect but let’s see.

2 Likes

So sort of like 8 out of 10 Cats does Countdown?

1 Like

Wow it says Season 2 in 2022.

Sounds like 8 out of 10 Cats does Countdown minus the 8 out of 10 Cats team.

Looking forward to seeing how this reboot works.

2 Likes

Interesting that the return is a celebrity version. Does sound like 8 out of 10 Cats does Countdown also. Would have preferred a normal version also.

First, Celebrity Mastermind on Saturdays, then followed by this? At least there’s new content on Saturdays

1 Like

Looking forward to the local adaptation of Carrot In A Box.

6 Likes

Looking forward to this. Expected it was only a matter of time before SBS commissioned a local version of Cats does Countdown.

Nice to see David and Lily back on deck too.

Seems they’re using the Countdown music too, rather than the frankly terrible L&N version.

9 Likes

Even better.

The L&N music sounded too formal and generic. Countdown’s theme is more iconic and also a bit more energetic.

3 Likes

Lilly doesn’t look any different given she’s 35 now . David looks pretty much the same too. I will watch this for sure with the celeb format . I did catch a few episodes of the old Letters and Numbers.

I can’t believe it was only cancelled 9 years ago.

Was this filmed in VIC or NSW … i assume before lockdowns?

Richard looks heaps different. Must have had some work done.

1 Like

Celebrity Letters & Numbers

From Saturday 2 October at 7:30 pm, 12 episodes.

David Astle and Lily Serna return to SBS for Celebrity Letters & Numbers, with host Michael Hing. After nine years, the cult quiz show returns with two new seasons, premiering 7:30pm Saturday 2 October.

Adapted from the much-loved quiz show that aired from 2010 – 2012, and inspired by the thousands of audience calls for its return, the first season of Celebrity Letters & Numbers premieres at 7:30pm on Saturday 2 October.

Hosted by comedian and Triple J presenter Michael Hing , Celebrity Letters & Numbers will see the return of wordsmith David Astle and numbers expert Lily Serna . Each episode features three comedic celebrities and a special guest alongside David in Dictionary Corner. Watch as they battle it out for the most unique prize on Australian TV – the highly sought after, priceless, antique collectible of…one single book, from a vintage 1980s encyclopedia collection, generously gifted by Michael Hing’s parents after they cleaned out their garage.

Guests race against the clock as they pit their linguistic and numerical skills against each other. Both seasons consist of twelve, hour-long episodes, and feature a mixture of letters, numbers and conundrum games. Series guests include Hamish Blake, Matt Okine, Merrick Watts, Jennifer Wong, Aaron Chen and Susie Youssef, to name a few.

Season One ofCelebrity Letters & Numbers premieres at 7:30pm Saturday 2 October on SBS and SBS On Demand. Episodes continue weekly.

Season two will premiere in 2022.

2 Likes

The new game board in full display.

3 Likes