Letters and Numbers

8 Likes

Great news. The show probably shouldn’t have been axed when it was. I remember there was quite a lot of backlash at the time.

Shame that Richard won’t return as host but I’m sure Michael will do well. Fingers crossed Lily and David return.

3 Likes

My parents were watching episodes of 8 Out of 10 Cats Does Countdown on Viceland in the meantime, as it was the closest thing to getting new episodes of Letters and Numbers.

1 Like

I’m not sure I can go back to L&N after seeing 8 out of 10 Cats does Countdown.

Michael Hing is a positive step though. Hoping some humour can be injected into the format, which can be exceedingly dry.

5 Likes

I think that’s what a lot of people liked about the show back then, but will a dry format cut it in 2021 - probably not.

I’d be expecting an increase in production value and wouldn’t be surprised to see a studio audience and revamped set.

2 Likes

This is great news. I hope Michael Hing does a good job in the hosting role.

The show only needs a small studio audience, just like Mastermind.

1 Like

If Richard is not retired he should be invited to return to host the reboot.

2 Likes

I don’t know why SBS cancelled it back then. Costs maybe …

Won’t be the same for me if Lily Serna doesn’t come back lol.

3 Likes

Yes

No

2 Likes

Shaun should do it.

10 Likes

Or none at all. They don’t really need audience reactions in these types of shows.

6 Likes

You can hear the audience laughing at the mistakes, but in the usual episodes you can barely tell there is an audience apart from the clapping .

2 Likes

A comedian will probably better suit Letters and Numbers than a former ABC Newsreader, I think.

Yeah, I agree.

Have you ever watched Letters and Numbers? Richard suited the format and host role very well, in my opinion.

A comedian is better suited to 8 out of 10 Cats Does Countdown.

8 Likes

Michael Hing would fall somewhere in between which is the perfect middle ground. Someone who can hold the ground when needed but also can have some fun when needed.

There are many shows that should’ve been rested or axed but this is one show that I believe was prematurely rested. It had a lot of potential and the repeats are still fairly popular on the main channel (judging by the ratings on TV Tonight’s article) so it’s good to see it back.

4 Likes

Mark Humphries hosting an Aussie version of 8 out of 10 maybe ???

1 Like

Inb4 SBS commissions Mad as Hell does Letters and Numbers

7 Likes

I think the ABC should consider reviving Pointless with Mark Humphries and do a longer one hour version like the Brits do.

6 Likes

I don’t think there was anything wrong with Richard Morecroft hosting, he seemed to be a good fit for it, but I appreciate that Michael might bring something a bit different.

8 Likes

The tone of Pointless with Mark and Andrew would fit in nicely alongside the likes of Hard Quiz and Win The Week

4 Likes