Letters and Numbers

Looking forward to the local adaptation of Carrot In A Box.

6 Likes

Looking forward to this. Expected it was only a matter of time before SBS commissioned a local version of Cats does Countdown.

Nice to see David and Lily back on deck too.

Seems they’re using the Countdown music too, rather than the frankly terrible L&N version.

9 Likes

Even better.

The L&N music sounded too formal and generic. Countdown’s theme is more iconic and also a bit more energetic.

3 Likes

Lilly doesn’t look any different given she’s 35 now . David looks pretty much the same too. I will watch this for sure with the celeb format . I did catch a few episodes of the old Letters and Numbers.

I can’t believe it was only cancelled 9 years ago.

Was this filmed in VIC or NSW … i assume before lockdowns?

Richard looks heaps different. Must have had some work done.

1 Like

Celebrity Letters & Numbers

From Saturday 2 October at 7:30 pm, 12 episodes.

David Astle and Lily Serna return to SBS for Celebrity Letters & Numbers, with host Michael Hing. After nine years, the cult quiz show returns with two new seasons, premiering 7:30pm Saturday 2 October.

Adapted from the much-loved quiz show that aired from 2010 – 2012, and inspired by the thousands of audience calls for its return, the first season of Celebrity Letters & Numbers premieres at 7:30pm on Saturday 2 October.

Hosted by comedian and Triple J presenter Michael Hing , Celebrity Letters & Numbers will see the return of wordsmith David Astle and numbers expert Lily Serna . Each episode features three comedic celebrities and a special guest alongside David in Dictionary Corner. Watch as they battle it out for the most unique prize on Australian TV – the highly sought after, priceless, antique collectible of…one single book, from a vintage 1980s encyclopedia collection, generously gifted by Michael Hing’s parents after they cleaned out their garage.

Guests race against the clock as they pit their linguistic and numerical skills against each other. Both seasons consist of twelve, hour-long episodes, and feature a mixture of letters, numbers and conundrum games. Series guests include Hamish Blake, Matt Okine, Merrick Watts, Jennifer Wong, Aaron Chen and Susie Youssef, to name a few.

Season One ofCelebrity Letters & Numbers premieres at 7:30pm Saturday 2 October on SBS and SBS On Demand. Episodes continue weekly.

Season two will premiere in 2022.

2 Likes

The new game board in full display.

3 Likes

“The Beast” Mark Labbett seems keen to play:

Premieres Saturday 2 October 7:35pm.

3 Likes

Random question but is this filmed in the same studio that the original Letters and Numbers was filmed in?

Not sure where this is filmed, but the original was done at Ripponlea, so that wouldn’t be possible now.

2 Likes

Episode 1: Suren Jayemanne, Jennifer Wong, Merrick Watts and special Dictionary Corner guest Bridie Connell.

1 Like

Apart from Merrick, I’ve never heard of those “celebrities” in my life.

2 Likes

Because they’re not MAFS contestants. Obviously. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Do you know them?

I don’t recognise the names but I have seen Suren Jayemanne’s stand-up before. Chances are these guys were chosen for their abilities to play the games more than their fame. I’m sure many of those who appeared on 8 Out of 10 Cats Does Countdown weren’t hugely well known before appearing on that show either.

I’m quite sure they will do better than MAFS or Love Island contestants.

1 Like

What’s with the reality television show references? As if contestants from those shows would ever be considered for this.

Jennifer Wong hosted documentary Chopsticks or Fork (about Chinese restaurants in regional towns in Australia) for ABC iView and ABC Australia satellite channel.

Exactly but that’s what passes for “celebrity” these days so why not lesser known writer/comedians?

1 Like

Exactly? So why did you reference them twice in connection to this program?

I guess the term “celebrity” is relative.