Lateline

https://forums.mediaspy.org/t/abc-news/216/678?u=melbournefan&source_topic_id=609

I’m lost. What is the context or relevance of anything of this?

1 Like

New promo ender

3 Likes

Lateline on ABC at 11.18pm tonight, not sure why so late…

Adam Hills would have been the extended 90 minute UK election edition.

1 Like

Speculation Lateline could be axed as part of revamp of ABC news and current affairs line-up, according to Fairfax

“Lateline is in its death throes, through no fault of the staff or its own,” one ABC employee said.
“It’s had its budget chipped away at for years, so it won’t really come as a surprise when it’s axed.”

1 Like

I very rarely watch it now. It’s become a pale imitation of itself. Tony Jones was great in the early years, but Q&A has changed him for the worse, and the other hosts look bleary eyed. Its long-ago predecessor The Carleton-Walsh Report was unmissable television.

Bleary eyed, Emma Alberici?

I do miss the longer and more comprehensive Lateline, but I think it’s still uniquely valuable.

The Guardian reports Lateline has been axed.

3 Likes

I rarely watch it now, totally missable.

1 Like

Glad that Emma is staying with the ABC in a new role.

EDIT - Emma’s new role will be ABC Chief Economics correspondent

4 Likes

Although it’s sad to hear the news of yet another quality ABC News/Current Affairs program, I think this decision has probably been some time in the planning.

The relaunch of the program a couple of years ago (in particular, demoting it to ABC News 24…I mean, the ABC News channel with a later evening rebroadcast on the main channel) was probably the first nail in the coffin. Heck, there was speculation about the possibility of Lateline being axed before that happened!

Although it’s reassuring to know that Emma Alberici will remain with the ABC in a new role, hopefully there won’t be too many job losses as a result of the program’s axing.

2 Likes

Sad to see the demise of Lateline after all of these years.

There was no mention of Tony Jones in the article - expect he will just continue with Q&A.

1 Like

Tonight featured report on cancellation of program

3 Likes

So when does Lateline finish up?

Early December I think.

Because he stopped hosting Lateline last year and was replaced by David Lipson.

1 Like

Well if it’s going as a title, I hope they can still have some similar news analysis content somewhere…

It’s Lateline’s last week…

With last Friday’s program featuring the last ever “Late Debate”, presumably this Friday night’s edition of Lateline will be a special program looking back at the 27 years it’s been on air with some of the major stories broken during that time?

In any case, I think it’d be great if the original Lateline theme music from 1990 was used for the closer of the final edition! :slight_smile:

3 Likes