KIIS Network

Well, that may explain (at least partially) why their program wasn’t interrupted this morning like Jonesy & Amanda was.

Kyle comes across as being the type who I’d imagine wouldn’t want anyone to fill in for him.

2 Likes

Maybe they took the opportunity to take a break because Fitzy and Wippa have also done so.

1 Like

Due to the narrow cast? I thought they just paid them off.

1 Like

Was yesterday’s 97.3 results the worst in a long time?

2 Likes

The lowest overall audience share the station had was 9.0 in S4/2005, which put them just 0.1 ahead of 4KQ & 0.9 ahead of 4BH.

In the last two surveys of 2018, the station had an overall audience share in the mid-high 9s.

5 Likes

Close to it.

97.3 isn’t working with the current format.

And no offence to Robyn but she’s massively overrated IMO

4 Likes

Duncan is whining about lack of movement in Melbourne. What a shock two imports with no real city connection who do a show all about them and stunt radio isn’t working? Who could have guessed that wouldn’t fly in Melbourne. That’s a Sydney format through and through. They might work nationally on drive but will never work in Melbourne breakfast.

4 Likes

What stunts are they doing?

2 Likes

Jase & PJ are my favourite breakfast show…

3 Likes

Agreed Jase & PJ might be imports but they are much better than the local CHR/Hot AC offerings…

And Christian O’Connell is doing better than their previous breakfast shows.

5 Likes

The show will rise once Fox blows up their breakfast show at the end of the year anyway.

In truth, the whole station needs a rethink for at least three reasons:

1. The KIIS brand means nothing in Melbourne, and not because of the aspirant community station, contrary to the opinion held by some of the comments on Radio Today. Borrowing a name from an AM radio station in Los Angeles to (supposedly) satisfy your Sydney talent was always going to be a dumb move. It is absurd that in a city of more than 5 million people, its local radio stations have to steal ideas from the States.
  2. CHR/Top 40 radio in Australia is practically falling on its face. Nova and KIIS sound identical musically, with Fox sounding closer to Mix from about 7 or 8 years ago but with still a degree of overlap. There is a perfect opportunity to stand out, especially with young talent (Hawkins notwithstanding) in key dayparts, and yet ARN haven’t/won’t take it.
  3. If KIIS 1065 is so Sydney, what makes KIIS 1011 so Melbourne? That has nothing to do with whether Hawkins is ex-B105 and Harding is ex-ZM, and everything more to do with 101.1 being run as a mirror of Sydney. Let 101.1 run its own race.

101.1 The Edge has a good ring to it, personally. The TTFM brand has been dead for far too long to make a resurgence mean something IMO.

11 Likes

TTFM could mean something if sister station Gold104.3 wasn’t already doing exactly what a renewed TTFM would have to do to have relevance to those that remember it.

Similar with the PMFM debate in Perth. Radio needs new ideas, not old ones.

7 Likes

And also agreed that The Edge would be a good name for the station - if ARN wanted to keep its young audience they could do this and run a Pulse FM like format. Jase & PJ would fit well into this hypothetical station…

4 Likes

How so? It hasn’t connected with Melbourne after almost two years. FOX breakfast is dreadful I agree but it has an audience due to the fact it’s FOX.

1 Like

101.1 should be a Melbourne station. It has the name of a station in LA, Sydney logo and Sydney programming. The issue is that the entire audience of the station lives in Melbourne.

Having a station that is made for a particular market is almost a revolutionary idea in 2020.

9 Likes

Agreed it needs a rebuild. I like The Edge name but I’d rather see TTFM and a big locally Melbourne branding excercise undertaken.

It starts with a new breakfast show, Jase and PJ could work well in drive like they were previously.

1 Like

Are Jase and PJ the problem in the mornings, or is the content just below par?

1 Like

I don’t understand why the blame is being put on Jase and PJ. The show was growing steadily up until the start of the year and COVID.
Nova, KIIS and Fox all pulled similar breakfast ratings this survey.

5 Likes

If Fox blows up their brekkie show at the end of 2020, this’ll guarantee success for KIIS1011.

1 Like

It’s connected more than the revolving door of breakfast shows the station has seen for about 2 decades - I’m not saying it’s the best they could do, but it’s better than Fox (or CS&B these days - I do like Chrissie, Sam & Browny individually but the show is very repetitive/stale) and it’s also better than anything they’ve put forward for as long as I can remember KIIS/Mix. It absolutely could do with a new and local identity, but as I’ve already said the TTFM name won’t work unless they chase an older audience.

2 Likes