KIIS Network

Why are you such a defender of everything they’re doing?

Well, he’s at the other extreme where he can cut off a caller if their first sentence hasn’t been brilliant. :laughing: Maybe somewhere in between would be good.

Be objective, yes, it wasn’t perfect, but it was still a big improvement in yesterday’s show where Will could barely talk and it sounded like they had no plan. (I’ll also add that a lot of the awkward silences etc occurred after my post)

Some of the problems mentioned still exist in other shows as well - but to a lesser degree.

They desperately need an anchor that talks. That will avoid the awkward silences when they are laughing too hard to talk. An anchor/panel op that knows when to cut to a song in those instances would also be beneficial.

The producers also seem to be very inexperienced - they all look like they’re still in school. They need some people on the team that are experienced enough to be able to stear it in the right direction when things go off course. It would appear that KIIS were completely left without any options when they found out that Hughesy and Kate left with just about their whole team.

Kyle and Jackie O return January 29th

Exactly. It got worse as they continued. If yesterday was an abomination then it was slightly better than that. At least they had the sense to prerecord something today. As they said themselves, more like a “train wreck”. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Well, considering how many other shows went off the air at the end of last year, if they could t find anyone with experience then they’re just not trying. It looks to me they just tried to do a big generational change with this show but by doing that, they have nobody with the required experirnce and it has been an epic fail.

1 Like

One has to wonder how long the KIIS for breakfast and ZM for drive double shift will last with Jase & PJ

ZM is just highlights of KIIS breakfast

Thats going to make for some interesting radio on both sides of the tasman - highlights of a Melbourne breakfast show wouldnt work in Sydney, so I wonder what makes them think it will work in NZ.

Well Fitzy & Wippa, K&JO and Jonsey and Amanda work as highlights shows.

which is interesting in itself - it only seems to work in one direction

They have an existing and loyal audience on ZM who will probably tolerate highlights but for how long is the question as its a fairly lazy programming move.

As far as I am aware both Jase & PJ are no longer employed directly by NZME (who own ZM) so NZME are purchasing a 2 hour highlights package produced by ARN that I assume is the one all KIIS station will play at night.

Are KIIS playing the 2 hour highlights show at 8PM yet? If not I assume it could be starting on the 22nd January as that’s when the highlights show starts on ZM.

ZM is owned by iHeartRadio therefore I doubt they would have to pay for anything.

Highlights haven’t started as yet, expect it will commence in 2 weeks time.

This is no longer the case. Clear Channel sold its 50% share of its NZ radio assets in 2014 to APN who have since spun off its NZ media assets into publicly listed NZME.

NZME have a ten year license for the Iheart brand and platform in NZ.

Why are you an unrealistic hater of everything they’re doing?

3 seconds of silence and it’s the worst show in the country. They’re not fantastic but it’s day two and anyone who has followed radio for more than 5 minutes should know there hasn’t been a major show in many years that’s been yanked off in one or two surveys.

Not to mention day 2 is a marked improvement on day 1, which is a positive nonetheless.

I’d say it was a contractual obligation and I don’t think it will last for long (I.e. well you guys are contracted for another five months so you’re gonna have to give us something).

Not sure what you mean - sure the major ‘highlights’ shows are mostly based in Sydney but there’s been some major national drive shows based in Melbourne that have worked just fine. I don’t think they’ll put the local segments into the NZ show somehow.

… the same APN that owns ARN…?

1 Like

But that’s just the thing, it’s not day 2! They’ve been on air together for many years. What they are delivering is something I’d expect from two people who have never met.

1 Like

Will Kyle let loose on Will and Woody? Or is he not allowed to bag his own network failures?

I’m sensing W&W and KIIS Drive could become the next 2DayFM Breakfast saga all over. Get those revolving doors ready.

My prediction is they’ll extend 3PM Pick Up and that’s it.

HT&E (the renamed APN) and NZME are separate, distinct entities

1 Like

Because it’s worse than amateur hour on community radio. It’s not a case of hating everything they’re doing. It’s a case of everything they’re doing is hopeless.

I saw a few comment here talking up about how great they are, so in this period of summer holidays I enthusiastically tuned in. Now I have to wonder if these comments were posted by radio station stooges.

Tell us what you think is so great about the show?

1 Like

However, for the past 4 years it’s been with a third member of the on air team, who is probably the strongest broadcaster of the 3.

They’re also working with a team full of people who have largely never worked together before.

No matter how you look at it, this program is/was not ready for mainstream broadcast.

2 Likes

Yes, were owned by APN. Their NZ radio business, previously called The Radio Network or TRN were however a subsidiary of ARN.