KIIS Network

I don’t think he gives a flying, regardless of if he tees off on them or is gagged somehow (like that works on him).

Unless it affects his ratings and then his salary, if it’s performance based.

PJ meets Peter Hitchener from Channel 9.

You have to question their approach again. Do you really want to play up the fact that your Melbourne breakfast show host knows nothing about Melbourne?

Wouldn’t it be better to have her telling everyone what she really loves about Melbourne or what she has discovered there, rather than make her look dumb for not knowing anything about it?

7 Likes

There’s nothing wrong with it. It’s better than prentending that she knows Melbourne when she doesn’t. It gives the show a narrative of a newcomer to Melbourne learning about the city with the help of her co host. After all, it wasn’t so much about laughing that she didn’t know, but more her finding out who Peter was in a fun and entertaining way.

A significant number of people in Melbourne weren’t born here, so this will resonate with that audience who had to discover the city themselves. And for those who have lived in Melbourne for there whole lives, it gives an insight into how other people view the city.

The biggest problem with this is that the video is only a teaser for the segment and the full version is nowhere to be found.

1 Like

Usually he lets loose on competition breakfast programs so given they’re neither competition nor on another network I would doubt it

I don’t think the show is particularly great. I love KTM and there wouldn’t be much that would switch me. I also hated Hamish & Andy and to be honest Will & Woody sound very similar to a younger Hamish & Andy to me. Hamish & Andy were very successful. I don’t think it’s because they were a fantastic show.

To be honest, if Will & Woody had slightly more energy (but not too much) and one of them fake laughed at the other all the time (like Andy) they’d almost be the same show. If Hamish & Andy did the ‘show sponsor’ segment half the people here would think it was ‘genius radio’ and hikarious…

I just think it’s a bit silly to pan a new show on day 1 or day 2, and to suggest they’ll be off within a few months or that somehow Kyle & Jackie O’s ratings will be adversely affected suggests little idea of how radio works.

A flying fox traffic…?

Are they doing an AM show for over 50s or a young hip FM show…?

2 Likes

You have been one of the biggest critics of Kyle and Jackie O being heard on Melbourne radio and how they “won’t resonate well with the Melbourne audience”.

But now with these hosts “There’s nothing with it” and “A significant number of people in Melbourne weren’t born here, so this will resonate with that audience”?

I might have said something about not networking them for breakfast once, but that’s far from being the biggest critic.

However, the difference is that K&J loses any localism for both Melbourne and Sydney by creating a more generic show. This segment on the other hand was still all about Melbourne.

K&J’s lack of appeal to Melbourne audiences also has more to do with them being arrogant f*cks rather than not being in Melbourne. The same as how Alan Jones, Ray Hadley and John Laws rate well in Sydney, but none of them, nor anyone like them has worked in Melbourne.

1 Like

I agree that networking is not great for Breakfast and that local presenters are best for so many reasons.

My point was that at this early stage, you want to show the audience that they have some sort of familiarity with their city. Playing up the fact that have none, is not so great.

In Sydney we have Fitzy and Wippa, who were born and raised in South Australia and Melbourne respectively. The way they endeared themselves to Sydney audiences is by showing what they love about the city and how they have had always had some connections to it. They do talk about where they grew up and how things are different in Sydney but generally they avoid doing that too much.

I’m just saying that any new team in a new city should avoid talking about the differences too much, to start with. You need to build a connection with the audience or you’ve lost them forever.

I do think its relevant to provide criticism this early in the show, it would be different if they were a new pairing.

ARN have come out and said their strategy is using existing and proven pairings, hence they would not re-sign H&K as they would be left without a pairing at the end of 2018.

I couldn’t stand her on Big Brother, but perhaps Heidi was what made these guys work well in Perth.

3 Likes

ARN might be keeping the door ajar to buy 6IX Perth. IX would work well alongside 4KQ and Cruise

I disagree. Why lie? Playing up the fact that PJ is finding her feet and trying to make a connection to Melbourne surely resonates better than pretending they have a genuine connection to Melbourne.

They’re not talking about differences, they appear to be trying to build a connection by having PJ connect with local personalities - time will tell if they continue to be very Melbourne guests.

2 Likes

Not saying she should lie but they should not be pointing out the fact she is “finding her feet”.

You think it’s great. Let’s see how this strategy works for both of these new teams.

It’s because it’s easier to sell younger skewing CHR stations - so grouping it in with KIIS makes it more appealing to media buyers in Sydney.

I wouldn’t have thought 6ix would be up for sale any time soon - Janet Cameron and Kevin Blyton are not in the business of selling their stations.

I think it’s fine and overall I’m open minded to it. I just don’t hate it emphatically for no reason.

Understandable reaction. You just don’t want to be proven wrong after incessantly talking up how brilliant Will and Woody plus Jase and PJ will be on KIIS this year.

We’ll see in Survey 8. Bit harsh (and hard!) to make a call on day 3 before the other shows are even back. I stand by what I’ve said. I don’t think Hit drive split shift will work; I think Carrie & Tommy are on par with Will & Woody at best and Hughesy & Kate too old for a CHR.

Time will tell I guess

Obviously listeners are pretty low at the moment, I just made it on the air talking about how I could be a newsreader.

The boys lack polish but if they really play to that loose style it could be their strength. At the moment they are in a bit of a no man’s land between good and bad radio.

4 Likes

Indeed.

They were persisting with this idea of sponsoring a tennis player even though a competitor has the rights to the Australian Open. After two horrible attempts at finding a player, they blamed the producers for completely stuffing it up and suggested they’ve both been sacked and they’re down to one producer now.

But then parts of the show were better today with less awkward silences and pauses. Sounds like they’ve obviously prepared some stuff to talk about today rather than just flying blind. They’ve realised that they can’t just turn up and chat because they really have nothing interesting to say.

1 Like

Please… Let’s hope that Lehzo kept her job.

4 Likes