Junior MasterChef

That information was incorrect, it had already been filmed. A promo was shown earlier during a MasterChef ad-break.

4 Likes

Thanks @TV.Cynic! Exactly what I was looking for!

Well that makes sense then

2 Likes

They got onto that quickly.

According to the Mumbrella article which is from the end of June, Beverley mentioned that they had just signed off on casting. Additionally the TVTonight article mentions they’ve been busily filming the last few weeks. Given it’s likely a short season, I imagine they’ll be wrapping up with filming soon.

3 Likes

Sunday Herald Sun briefly mentioned yesterday that filming would be ramping up on Junior MasterChef later this month. I think there could have been a break for the kids.

4 Likes

It probably makes sense that it was filmed in school holidays?

3 Likes

Junior MasterChef Australia. Coming Soon.

Jock, Melissa And Andy Will Be Right Back.

Network 10 is delighted to announce the hugely popular and pint-sized series Junior MasterChef Australia will return with three familiar and much-loved faces in 2020.

Jock Zonfrillo, Melissa Leong and Andy Allen are returning to the MasterChef kitchen as judges for a show that will showcase and celebrate the best and brightest young cooks Australia has to offer.

Judge Melissa Leong said: “We are so thrilled to be bringing Junior MasterChef Australia to life very soon. To be showcasing a generation of kids who have grown up with the show and who have literally been cooking for most of their lives, you know this is going to be spectacular.

“Jock, Andy and I are very excited to meet our incredible little cooks, and to see what the next generation has in store.”

A host of talented cooks across the country aged between nine and 14 will try their luck and test their culinary skills in the MasterChef kitchen, and will be sure to astound Australia with their amazing skills.

Network 10 Head Of Drama And Executive Production, Rick Maier, said: “It’s been nine years since we last heard the rattle of pots and pans with brilliant young Australians at the pass. High time for a recall, we think - especially at a time when families are sharing more and more adventures in the kitchen together.

“With Melissa, Jock and Andy in charge, we’re all looking forward to discovering the next generation of Pohs, Reynolds and Callums. Their time starts now.”

Expect surprises, laughter, amazing food and a whole lot of fun as this journey will see one exceptional cook crowned Australia’s Junior MasterChef 2020.

5 Likes

I wonder due to coronavirus travel restrictions whether there are many (if any) junior contestants from Sydney, Perth, etc?

I love how MS refers to 10’s now CEO (in fact ViacomCBS territory head!) as simply “Beverley” like she’s one of us, probably all that love @cmo’s given her over the years eh? :wink:

1 Like

Yup, I thought about that as I was writing it - and I usually just use McGarvey rather than her first name.

She’s certainly a hot topic around here sometimes, just wait until the upfronts.

1 Like

I am very surprised Jock continued on for this. He really wanted to get back to his family in Adelaide.

1 Like

$$$$$ talk

Yeah that is true. In some interview he just seemed so miserable about being stuck in Melbourne that I was just a little surprised.

Maybe he did go back to Adelaide for a couple of weeks. Plus I’m sure this series won’t take long to shoot.

2 Likes

Having Jock, Andy and Melissa as judges for the junior version isn’t the worst idea. They’ve proven popular with the Masterchef audience and they all look like they work great with kids (from that promo at least). Looking forward to how they execute this reboot.

2 Likes

Exactly! Good on them for adding a spin-off after such a successful season, but they have to be wary of viewer fatigue.

Also interesting to note that ‘junior’ shows don’t do too well - Voice Kids Au was cancelled after 1 season and only 2 seasons of Junior Masterchef aired before it was cancelled because it was ‘diluting the audience for the original show’

Perhaps it’ll simply be a one-off season to make the most of the successful glow the franchise has had this year.

I hope so for the sake of the brand.

3 Likes

Me too - overexposure can kill a franchise

Does anyone know if Ten finished filming Junior Masterchef due to Melbourne’s Stage 4 restrictions?