Jeopardy Australia

STEPHEN FRY TO HOST JEOPARDY! AUSTRALIA

Australia will get its very own version of the hit international quiz show Jeopardy! with Jeopardy! Australia coming to Channel 9 and 9Now.

Jeopardy! Australia will feature Australian contestants in one of the world’s longest-running game shows, which will be hosted by renowned English broadcaster and actor, Stephen Fry.

Comprising six prime-time specials, the local spin on the hit American format will be produced by Whisper North for Channel 9. Filming will begin next month in Manchester, England.

In addition, Channel 9 will broadcast ITV’s highly anticipated new series of Jeopardy! UK, which Fry will also host.

Stephen Fry said: “Jeopardy! has a format that - strikingly unusual as it seems at first - just gets under the skin of an audience, and reveals more and more depths of delight. Not to mention more and more depths of knowledge amongst the population. I reckon Australia will welcome this uniquely beguiling and endlessly rewarding game and I just can’t wait to get started.”

Adrian Swift, Nine’s Head of Content, Production and Development, said: “Nine is thrilled to welcome two great institutions to the network: Jeopardy! the world’s greatest quiz show format and Stephen Fry the doyen of TV hosts. With Stephen at the helm Jeopardy! Australia will deliver the pure excitement of this beloved format to Australian viewers”.

Flipping the traditional Q&A format, Jeopardy! presents answers first in the form of short, written clues. Contestants must then respond in the form of a question that correctly identifies the clue description. This general knowledge showdown is an opportunity to amass a lucrative cash prize the longer contestants can stay in the game.

Sunil Patel, Whisper CEO, said: “It’s great to see the continuing success of Jeopardy! and to be able to play a part in its international future. It’s incredible for Whisper North to have the privilege of being able to introduce the show to a new generation of fans both in the UK and now Australia for a prime-time audience, hosted by the legendary Stephen Fry.”

Jeopardy! Australia is a Whisper North production for Channel 9. The executive producers are Kerri Reid, Tom McLennan and Stephen Fry.

2 Likes

Information from 2024 Upfronts

Australia will get its very own version of the hit international quiz show Jeopardy! with Jeopardy! Australia.

Hosted by renowned English broadcaster and actor Stephen Fry, Jeopardy! Australia will feature a cast of clever Aussie competitors in one of the world’s longest-running game shows.

Stephen Fry said: “Jeopardy! has a format that – strikingly unusual as it seems at first – just gets under the skin of an audience and reveals more and more depths of delight. Not to mention more and more depths of knowledge amongst the population. I reckon Australia will welcome this uniquely beguiling and endlessly rewarding game, and I can’t wait to get started.”

Flipping the traditional Q&A format, Jeopardy! presents answers first in the form of short, written clues. Contestants must then respond in the form of a question that correctly identifies the clue description. This general knowledge showdown is an opportunity to amass a lucrative cash prize the longer contestants can stay in the game.

Jeopardy! Australia is a Whisper North production for the 9Network.

1 Like

Jeopardy host rushed to hospital. Also reporting that his voice (used to read Harry Potter books) was AI cloned.

1 Like

Will this ever get to air?

It is technically Australian content, so this could air Saturday nights, to fill the Aussie FTA quota. Once Space Invaders finishes…? Or has this been quietly shelved?

1 Like

Dude that is VERY freaky. Almost scary comment because…

that is exactly what Nine is doing mate.

Jeopardy will air on Nine on Saturday nights in April after Space Invaders finishes.

Are you sure you didnt know that?

4 Likes

Really? Or you messing with me? I honestly didn’t know.

If that’s the case, i’m off to buy a lotto ticket. lol.

2 Likes

That is a somewhat poor outcome if it is - the only Australian element appears to be the contestants (who are quite possibly ex-pats anyway) and the questions.

I get that the quota can sometimes be a bit of a joke - but this shouldn’t count for full quota points

3 Likes

Yep that is what is happening

2 Likes

1.4.2024? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

No No. I wrote the original reply yesterday :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Saturday 20 April 7:30 pm

Stephen Fry hosts a new version of the legendary quiz show Jeopardy! Featuring Australian contestants for the first time, players guess the questions to the answers given. Testing their buzzer skills and their knowledge in a range of academic and popular categories, the winner gets to claim the title and keep the prize money.

2 Likes

Well, there you go. It is airing in April after all. Lol.

As a fan of the US version, I do hope that this “local” version works, as in a one hour format show.

1 Like
1 Like
1 Like

Yesterday, I went to Nine and I asked the man at the desk why Jeopardy is airing on Saturday nights. The man told me because Tipping Point is rating well, they will air Jeopardy on a night like Saturday night to just air the program and then it fade away . Then I suggested why they could put Jeopardy on at nine o’clock

1 Like

Sounds like Jeopardy was the back up if Tipping Point flopped.

2 Likes

Yes

1 Like

JEOPARDY! AUSTRALIA SET TO LAUNCH DOWN UNDER

The hit international quiz show Jeopardy! is coming to Australia and premiering Saturday, April 20, at 7.30pm on Channel 9 and 9Now.

Jeopardy! Australia will feature Australian contestants in one of the world’s longest-running game shows, hosted by renowned English broadcaster and actor, Stephen Fry.

Jeopardy! Australia flips the traditional Q&A format and presents answers first in the form of short, written clues. Contestants must then respond in the form of a question that correctly identifies the clue description. This general knowledge showdown is an opportunity to amass a lucrative cash prize the longer contestants can stay in the game.

This Saturday night, join host Stephen Fry as he quizzes Jeopardy! Australia’s first three contestants – software engineer from Perth, David Setty, photographer from Canberra, Jenny Magee, and financial journalist from Melbourne, Alex Hamer. The contestants will battle it out across three rounds for the top spot, with the winner joining the next two contestants in episode two.

Stephen Fry said: “Delighted for Channel 9’s launch of Jeopardy! Australia — a show that digs deep into the exceptional and wide ranging knowledge of talented contestants who have been a joy to host. But jeopardy is always knocking at the door and I hope the wonderful audience is swept along in the excitement that each episode delivers.”

Adrian Swift, Nine’s Head of Content, Production and Development, said: “Nine is thrilled to welcome two great institutions to the network: Jeopardy! the world’s greatest quiz show format, and Stephen Fry, the doyen of TV hosts. With Stephen at the helm Jeopardy! Australia will deliver the pure excitement of this beloved format to Australian viewers.”

Laura Burrell, VP International Formats, Paramount Global Content Distribution, said: “We are delighted to have worked with the Whisper North production team to bring to life both the recent UK series for ITV and this brand new Australian edition for Nine, proving that this evergreen quiz format remains as popular as ever internationally. Jeopardy! Australia, hosted by Stephen Fry, will be a must-see Saturday night viewing.”

Sunil Patel, Whisper CEO, said: “It’s great to see the continuing success of Jeopardy! and to be able to play a part in its international future. It’s incredible for Whisper North to have the privilege of being able to introduce the show to a new generation of fans both in the UK and now Australia for a prime-time audience, hosted by the legendary Stephen Fry.”

Jeopardy! Australia is a Whisper North production for Channel 9. The executive producers are Kerri Reid, Tom McLennan and Stephen Fry. Whisper North is a division of SPT-backed production company Whisper. The original U.S. quiz show is produced by Sony Pictures Television, a Sony Pictures Entertainment Company, which is distributed by Paramount Global Content Distribution along with the format rights.

1 Like