International Politics (non-USA)

Yup. There were no violent far-left protesters in Charlottesville. I’m totally the one performing mental gymnastics here.

You purposely gloss over what I say to repeat the same old cliches and offensive statements about me, that’s why.

Neither am I.

You can brand yourself to be whatever free-thinking water-based bird you want. If you waddle like a duck and quack like a duck, you’re a duck in my eyes. :slight_smile:

I can’t even be bothered. Your attempts at underhanded trolls are so silly. Yes, saying far-left groups shouldn’t be violently bashing others on streets in the US means I’m a neo-nazi. :roll_eyes: Quality of discussion from a toddler.

Trump’s style has never been nuance. For him to take such a stance now just reeks of sympathy for the white nationalist cause.

When it comes to nazism, there is no middle ground. It’s either complete rejection or you’re enabling bigotry.

Calling someone a baby is essentially admitting you’ve lost the argument. Well done.

I have lost - I’m literally arguing on the internet with a nutcase.

BUT HE LITERALLY SAID HE CONDEMNS THEM TOTALLY.

WHAT IS MORE “COMPLETE” THAN “TOTALLY”?!

ARGH!! YOU DON’T EVEN MAKE SENSE!

Ok calm down mate.

More complete than totally would not be then adding a qualifier stating that some of the Nazi demonstrators were good people, and that some of the counterprotestors had it coming. There was no need to add those extra bits, but he did anyway, because those idiots protesting are some of his most vocal supporters.

Matlock, I have already addressed this - he specifically said (check the transcripts) that he was NOT referring to the “Nazi demonstrators” (saying that he actually condemned them totally as rough, very bad people) rather the individuals that were there protesting the removal of the historic statute.

Like I said, the vast crowd was chanting shit about Jews and other bigoted nonsense. Anyone who turned up for some statue should’ve left pronto if they didn’t agree with those views. No sympathy.

Um…the vision of the neo-nazis waving torches screaming anti-Semitic remarks was during the night before, at the University of Virginia…

Matlock, we’ve had this issue in the past, but you really must read up fully on issues before debating the facts with me.

Further…no one is asking you to have sympathy with any white nationalists…what I’m asking you is to accept that the President was correct in condemning the violence from the far-left.

You won’t do this because I know in the past you have supported actual violence on the streets against “literal Nazis”.

A) I have read up.
B) You’re not a God, no one is obliged to do anything in order to disagree with you, no matter how highly you think of yourself
C) Lol

In Charlottesville… should’ve sent up red flags to any of the “good guys” thinking of attending the next day, that they might not be in good company.

Again, it’s just smoke and mirrors to obfuscate from the point that Trump is trying to paint his most loyal supports as a victim of “oppressive left wing protesters”. Bullshit.

See above.

This is what I have been saying. Trump (and you) is implying that counterprotestors are far left. It isn’t. Rational conservatives should and probably are counterprotesting Nazis.

…go on?

Not gonna lie, it would be fun to punch a skinhead. A fair few of my great uncles fought in World War Two for Australia - for someone to be supporting Nazism in Australia is a gross disrespect to those who died fighting for our liberties.

My great grand-father did too - he fought to ensure a peaceful society where the rule of law applied. I would never shit on his efforts by starting to issue my own form of “violent justice”.

So you were wrong. Thanks.

People protesting against neo-nazis aren’t far-left.

Antifa groups coming in with hoods on and batons to smash people up are far-left, though.

How so?

You said the individuals Trump was referring to (the “statue removal protestors”) should have left when they heard those chants starting.

In fact, this was an entirely separate protest, at a different location, on another day, which USA Today reports hadn’t even started yet.

In the same city.

Both protests were under the “Unite the Right” banner. They were both promoted together. People who turned up were either fully blown Nazis or shockingly naive to believe they were going into a nice, rational protest. The latter should’ve taken flight, and probably did.

So, at the end of this discussion, you’ve acknowledged that there were neo-Nazis there (which Trump condemned as very bad people), you’ve acknowledged that others may have been there without the intention of starting anti-Semitic chants and displaying their “white nationalism” (which Trump acknowledged), the only thing left for you to acknowledge is that far-left groups also came in ready to violently smash up the planned protest.

When you accept reality and acknowledge that point, get back to me.

:kissing_heart: :sunglasses:

Yes, but that was my point from the start. Any presumption that there were good people among the Unite the Right crowd went away once the chants began, since that would drive away good people.

The nonsense that these were two groups of people is a moot point - as I said, both events were actually one.

If we are going to continue around in circles can we please at least do it on the right thread?