If you could create the perfect radio station...

I just want music. I would create a radio station with the simple but meaningful “more music” slogan.

I would plan for my radio station to only have two ad breaks an hour. The first break would be at :15 past the hour. The “hook” to get the audience to listen to the three minutes of ads would be the promise of more than 30 minutes of non-stop music after the break.

The hour’s second ad break would be at :52 past the hour. The “hook” to get the audience to listen to the next 3 minutes of ads would be the promise that after the break would be “the most requested song from this hour”

After the most requested song would be a 60 second news break and then straight into three or four songs in a row. I am so sick of the amount of ads and talk that some of commercial stations can play on the hour. It’s often a few minutes of ads, news, more ads and then finally back to the music.

Thus, my station would be ad free from 5 to the hour until 15 past the hour. It would also have 30 minutes of non-stop music every hour.

24 Hours a Day. 7 Days a Week. Every Hour. Every Day. More Music.

I would love a station with live DJs, local DJs and a total commitment to play as much music as possible. It would be the music frequency.

What sort of music? Now that’s a different post.

8 Likes

SWR FM 10 AM-1 PM on Saturdays and Braidwood FM 7 PM-9 PM Tuesdays. And 2BBB 6-8 PM Saturdays if you’re into prog.

The ‘Forever Classic’ stations live and die by their 30 minute music marathons.

3 Likes

Variety is the key, just like an iPod shuffle. 70s to now

4 Likes

I believe that is exactly SWR FM’s positioner!

2 Likes

I think they changed the positioner, “the difference is the music”. However in the guide there is still 70s to now beng used when it is pure automation.

2 Likes

Could have done. I only listen to Inphase and Powerzone; I should give the workday format another listen.

1 Like

My go at creating a radio station.

6:00am-10:00am: Breakfast with Kyle and Jackie O
10:00am-6:00pm: Non-stop music from the 50s 60s and 70s, no commercials
6:00pm-7:00pm: Sports Tonight with Gerard Whateley and Mark Robinson
7:00pm-8:00pm: Freshest Hits, no commercials
8:00pm-9:00pm: Alan Jones Talking Straight
9:00pm-11:00pm: Non-stop music from the 80s and 90s, no commercials
11:00pm-12:00am: Wacky Music (TV theme songs etc.)

7-minute news bulletins air at the top of each hour, covering news, sport, weather and a traffic report from a traffic reporter in a helicopter.

Brooklyn Ross will read the news on K&JO.

From 10am-6pm, Jane Holmes announces the title and artist of each song before it begins, and David Armstrong (10-2) and Tony Tardio (2-6) read the news. There will be no commercials during this eight hour period, so it’s just news at the top of the hour then non-stop music until the next news bulletin.

In the evening, Denis O’Kane covers news from 6pm-9pm, and Natalie Peters from 9pm-12am.

3 Likes

That is an absolute mish mash of presenters and music if I’ve ever seen one. Kyle and Jackie then 50’s music and Alan at night?

7 Likes

Yes, that puts K-Rock and The Billy Bob Show to shame :laughing: Alan Stoner in the morning would work better if you’re programming it like a community station, then Vile and Tacky-Ho on Drive or Evenings with the ‘Freshest Hits’. I do like the hour of ‘Wrong Songs’ at night, though.

3 Likes

I’ve started work at a new place and get control of the Bluetooth speaker when I arrive. I’ve been playing stuff from my personal Apple Music “station”, this seems to be popular but after 4 days it seems like it can be repetitive with songs.

I tried the Apple Music Classic Hits “station” this afternoon and found that it’s a good mix of 70s to 2010s and more adventurous than radio. Might be my go to for now.

4 Likes

A new Radio station
5:30am - 9am: The Big Breakfast with Clairsy and Lisa
9am - 12 Noon: Music from the 1940s-1960s
12 Noon-12:30pm: The Lunch with Clairsy and Lisa, talking about the Joke of the Day segment!
12:30pm - 6pm: Music from the 1970s-1990s
6pm - 7pm: Sportsworld with Paul Haselby and Paddy Sweeney
7pm - 8pm: Super Science with Dr Rob Bell.
8pm - 9pm: Music from the 2000s.
9pm - 10pm: Late Night with Oliver Peterson - talking about issues that happen around WA.
10pm: 12am: Random Music (TV Theme songs, etc.)

5-min news bulletins air during every 30 minutes covering news, sport, weather and traffic report.

2 Likes

Ok a music mix with 50000 songs 70s to now. Widest variety possible. 6:00 to 9:00 a modern day Kevin Hillier and the D-Generation. Then 40 minute music marathons every hour. 9:00 to 12:00 an entertaining announcer (a dangerous Dave) inc a classic 9@9, some interviews etr. 12:00 a new announcer inc an electric lunch (live concert series), 15:00 to 19:00 another fresh announcer to drive you home music based. An Ugly Phil for example, free rain to entertain. 19:00 to 22:00 a music based show, countdowns wtr, 22:00 to midnight homegrown, 12:00 a full album play commercial free

7 Likes

I’d listen to that.

Get Starter FM onto it. @TheChase

3 Likes

This is not a bad idea, I will look into it.

4 Likes

yeah so would I. @Adrian I think has an great idea.

1 Like