Ideas, Issues, Suggestions

Topics on Media Spy evolve organically and tend to appear based on members’ interests and what is topical at a particular time. I’d say there is no ABC Late News topic because there is little interest. Yet the Nine News Late topic has 259 posts and 13.6k views in just 5 months and has many recent posts.

Similarly, there are News Presenters and Reporters topics for Seven, Nine, 10 and ABC but not SBS - it doesn’t have to be logical or consistent.

3 Likes

Agree. Nightline and Ten Late News had their own threads on the old forum. Prime time bulletins tend to generate more comment and interest than daytime bulletins.

Nine’s late news is deserving of its own thread because Thommo presents it, its the only national commercial bulletin presented from Perth and it exists because of the situation we now live in. I have no doubt Nine will axe it soon after the news cycle returns to what it was and there is no thirst for information regarding the virus.

1 Like

That is a controversial point there :sweat_smile:

I don’t think I’d seen him before this late bulletin started but I find him quite watchable and can see why Nine made him the face of their Perth news bulletin and trust him to present the late national news.

4 Likes

I would disagree, but guess we have our own points

He’s the best anchor since the Brian’s.

Exactly. This tends to be forgotten by some members who want a specific structure of threads over a more organic structure.

1 Like

Is there a reason the project thread has been closed?

Yes.

1 Like

As (some of) you would have seen, we’ve closed a few of the super threads across the NEWSCAF section of the board and opened new ones.

After five years, some were approaching 10k posts and as we saw when Seven had a minor graphics tweak the other month, the threads can fold under that weight of content.

Any issues, let us know. But it has been done on a case by case basis. Some threads with lower post counts I’ve let be.

11 Likes

I saw the time stamp added to the Ten News thread and thought for a sec they’d cancelled it entirely…

One thing on threads, would it be fine to split the Digital Radio discussion out to a tech/stations discussion? Obviously there’s a little bit of overlap, but I’m conscious of constantly boring people with endless waffling about DRM+ annoying those who want to talk about the actual content.

6 Likes

I don’t know a lot about it…what would be your ideal layout?

I suppose just a Digital Radio Stations thread and a Digital Radio Technical?

3 Likes

Came on and I had heaps of notifications. It’s a bit of a pain having to switching threads and start “watching” the new ones. But, I suppose you’re trying to make it more usable.

Also, seems people are posting in the new threads for the sake of it, which I don’t think would have happened if you didn’t split them. Anyway, I get why you have to do it but I’d like if you don’t do it too often or unnecessarily.

Well, this is the first time we’ve done it since the board moved to Discourse in 2015…so…

Has MediaSpy ever had a ‘meet up’?

MediaSpyCon? Sounds good.

I would love a meetup. I know that COVID makes things a bit tricky to deal with but once this pandemic blows over it would be really cool to meet other members.

2 Likes

Just a tad harsh…

1 Like

Perhaps a Zoom Zoom catch up?

1 Like