House Rules

I think that is a great idea because it gives the last placed team a chance to avoid elimination and would also mean a team like Fil & Joe who finished second after the whole house renos wouldn’t face being eliminated on the back of one bad performance.

Kind of agree - it’s a round mainly about scoring points from the judges. Surprised they haven’t twisted the challenge yet so it’s teams fixing up a zone they’ve done in somebody elses house.

Just caught up with the fix-up challenge episodes. I agree with Kushaa’s points, and I thought Nancy and Daniel and Fil and Joe bit more than they could chew. They chose the wrong zone and made half-hearted efforts to make changes to it.
I could not believe Brooke and Michelle did not sleep during the challenge, but their work to transform the living room and hall (with a little change in the laundary) really paid off. Claire and Hagan also got hight scores for constructing a sliding timber screen for their ensuite and installed timber panels on the railing. They were the two teams which made the most impact in this round.
One last thing: why set the challenge on a Friday when shops in NSW and QLD close at 5pm? Should have been started on a Thursday when most states have late night shopping.

Carolyn’s advice may be valuable most of the time but not at this round of gardening. Claire and Hagan already had plans for renovation of Brooke and Michelle’s backyard, only to have Carolyn telling the couple that side access had been ignored. Was that part just as important as the main back yard itself? It just added more stress to Claire and Hagan. In comparison, Luke and Cody’s reno of the front yard was relatively straightforward.
In another House Rules first, two teams shared Claire and Hagan’s backyard, Fil and Joe working on the left half and Brooke and Michelle on the right half. That should allow for more contrasts between the two team’s designing ideas and styles.

Still baffles me how Carolyn is still there - her advise is usually pretty useless and contradicted by both the home owners and judges when it comes to judging. Has it ever been confirmed whether the builder bloke from the first couple of series was axed or quit.

Wonders what they’d do with Claire and Hagans - would have made more sense really to split the garden the other way but then producers love them fighting over space, and in fairness probably better they have half a deck and half a lawn each. Are they going to do anything to the exterior though - the interior may be one of the best makeovers in the shows history but the white box dumped on top of a black box looks rather ugly.

Also surprised they haven’t put a balcony at the front over the salon. Maybe they’ll save that as their secret space should they make the final 2.

Talking of which I’m not sure about their (unseen) architects either as quite often (though to be fair not so much this season) the proposed layout isn’t necessarily making best use of space.

Bring back Chester Drife!!!

1 Like

According to synopsis on online guides, there would be a charity house this season. The top two teams from this round of renovation would make the grand final. It starts next Monday and concludes on Sunday week (June 26), meaning the grand final could be held on Monday June 27.

[quote=“JohnsonTV, post:92, topic:633”]
According to synopsis on online guides, there would be a charity house this season.[/quote]
Not unusual. There has been a charity house involved every year since season 2.

Luke and Cody came on top after round 1 of gardening with their excellent effort transforming Brooke and Michelle’s front yard. Adding a heritage lamp post was a nice touch. But, how could the twins as well as Claire and Hagan ran out of turf and paving on the final day of reno? They should have ordered a bit more at the start. Claire and Hagan lost valuable points on insuffcient turf as well as cutting down trees and planting pencil pines in front of the back fence, the couple however still got high points thanks to the pizza oven centrepiece which was loved by both judges.
Brooke and Michelle finished on the bottom, paying the price for lack of finishing for the pop-up kitchen as well as trying to cramp too many things in their narrow allocated space. Why would they put a play set on the driveway for example? The play set was incomplete when time ran out, perhaps Claire and Hagan were able to reconstruct it for their daughters after filming had ended? Fil and Joe did better for their allocated half backyard, especially the fireplace and the caravan cubby house.

On to round 2 of gardening…
What a huge backyard at Luke and Cody’s Dalby home! When Fil suggested she and Joe wanted to construct a bowling pool table in the backyard, I thought they were thinking of lawn bowls. Instead they got old bowling balls and had them painted and numbered and used as giant billiard balls. That’s a novel idea.
In Fil and Joe’s Melbourne home, again Luke and Cody had little trouble decorating the front yard, but time was really against Brooke and Michelle in decorating the backyard. The discovery of asbestos under the deck meant timber decking was ruled out (as digging for footings could unveil more asbestos underneath the soil) so the couple had to resort to composite decking, they also asked for the sunken garden to be built on a new location, with just 1 day to go!
In the end, it was Brooke and Michelle who failed to finish their zone. The turf shortage came back to haunt them and the couple also ran out of time creating a good garden bed so their zone looked half done. They struggled in both rounds of gardening so I was not surprised with their elimination. Luke and Cody got high scores mainly for the massive water feature in the front yard.
Could not believe both Victorian teams did not provide shading for Luke and Cody’s backyard! I am not sure who wrote the house rules for this round, but if the twins wrote them they should have included shades so the teams would not have forgotten them. Claire and Hagan were praised for the front fence and paving between the fence and the porch, but lost points for the rest of the paving and the design and layout of the beer garden. Fil and Joe fared a bit better with their bar, but the piece of timber at the bar was way too long and could be a safety issue down the track.

Some questionable scoring again from the judges giving a 6 to Claire and Hagan despite a “heavenly” front garden and only really issues with the layout of their bear garden, whilst an unfinished garden with a large patch of mud, not quite right layout and underutilised deck scores a 7. Thankfully it didn’t matter in the end and the right pair went home.

Luke and Cody clearly still the front runners and it would be a surprise if they got eliminated next. I’d probably tip Fil and Joe to join them in the final though would prefer it to be Claire and Hagan just so we can see them find smoe kind of “secret space” to do up.

North Sydney accommodation renovation thanks to House Rules

The Leukaemia Foundation is delighted to have been chosen as the latest recipient of the Charity Transformation for Channel 7’s renovation sensation, House Rules, which airs at 7:30pm on Monday 20 June 2016.
House Rules contestants took over our Waverton accommodation and in just two short weeks transformed three units and the back garden, creating a modern and functional space for residents.
“It is incredible what the teams have achieved - a huge transformation,” said Chris McMillan, General Manager NSW/ACT for the Leukaemia Foundation. “My favourite part has to be the garden; such a beautiful space for residents to sit or to chat. We were blown away by the talent of the contestants. It was clear that it was important to them all that they create something special for the families who will stay here during weeks or months of blood cancer treatment.”
Blood cancer and related blood disorders can develop in anyone, of any age, at any time. In acute or aggressive cases, the person can require immediate and intensive treatment, often within 24 hours of diagnosis. For those living in regional areas, it means leaving work, school and family and relocating to the city, adding to the shock and emotional turmoil. The Foundation’s accommodation service helps ease the burden of relocating for treatment, providing a “home away from home” for patients and carers.
“House Rules is a rare opportunity for Australians to get a glimpse inside our accommodation facilities,” said Chris. “In 2016 the Leukaemia Foundation will have more facilities upgraded, built and planned in locations such as Melbourne, Canberra and Perth. Much of the funds the Foundation raises through events such as the World’s Greatest Shave and Light the Night are invested into our accommodation services, so it’s great to be able to show our supporters what the service really looks like and the difference it makes to families.”
John Reardon, former resident, commented: “I was extremely concerned when I needed to relocate from the bush. I felt like a burden to my family who took turns to be my carer. When we first saw the unit it was such a relief to see that they would have their own private space to make their own. A person’s mental attitude is so important and the accommodation provided by the Foundation ensured I could stay positive by lifting a huge burden from your shoulders to ensure you can heal.”
In the 2014-2015 financial year the Leukaemia Foundation provided 52,893 nights’ accommodation to 969 families across the country. On average people stayed 50 nights (the longest stay was 257 nights).

There is also an emotional story behind next week’s reveal which you can read here

^ I sincerely hope the other three units in the block got a touch up too, so all six have a modern look.

It seemed like an impossible challenge this week: each team had to decorate four rooms across 3 units plus a portion of the backyard, all in just 7 days. Add to that each unit had its own design style, and the stress on the three teams must be sky high. The producers could have kept it simple by just allocating each unit to one team, but I guess they wanted to see which team best interpreted the unit’s design style.
The grand final will be shown next Sunday from 7pm.

1 Like

Have enjoyed this week though - it has felt like a decent final three challenge rather than just tedious filler stretching out the series as in previous years, Probably helps too that the final three teams are all quite likeable - really don’t mind who makes the final and who wins.

Even splitting the houses rather than just giving them an apartment each has made sense - been no tedious zone wars due to the nature of the challenge and it has enabled a decent amount of interaction between the teams which probably wouldn’t occur if they just had one block each.

Although in the main stage of renos I don’t think the standard has been as high as previous series I do think the post-reno stage has dragged far less than the last couple of stages - obviously it helps they took a final 5 challenge out of it, meaning this series runs for 4 episodes less than last year, but ultimately the cast has been strong and IMO it is the best reality format around at the moment.

Also refreshing to see a reality renovation show which keeps it about the renovation rather than getting distracted by pointless challenges.

There were no zone wars mainly because of the age of the apartment complex and the area of each room is fixed, so teams could not demolish the walls to change the unit’s layout.

I have probably watched a total of 3 shows of House Rules this year, and I could predict tonight who was going through. If the judging isn’t rigged why aren’t there ever ties? Just ridiculous.

Boys From The Bush VS Couple From The Coast in HOUSE RULES Live Finale

House Rules’ youngest teams will go head-to-head to decide if Claire and Hagan, or Luke and Cody have their mortgage paid off.

HOUSE RULES’ final three teams dug deeper than ever this week to give back to the Leukaemia Foundation, transforming three of their Sydney apartments into an oasis of calm and tranquility. Each team infused three specific design briefs, including Manhattan Apartment, Scandi Chic and Balinese Resort throughout their three zones which spanned across all three apartments; in addition to transforming a neglected outside area.

Twin brothers Luke and Cody scored their third win in a row, securing their spot not only on the top of the leaderboard, but in the all-important life changing live Grand Finale. Receiving a combined judges’ score of 17 they nailed their kitchen and bathroom layouts, drawing inspiration from Sex And The City for their Manhattan Apartment design brief. And their clever design choices shone through in their relaxing country garden. “Your garden was sublime,” said judge Joe Snell. “It was so welcoming and that pergola was the perfect place for a relaxing cup of tea. You truly created a home away from home.” The boys’ only downfall was their Balinese bedrooms which failed to live up to their resort house rule. “You did get the Bali interpretation, just not the Bali resort – the luxury of that,” explained judge Wendy Moore. Scoring them a nine for their work this week Wendy summed up their secret to success so far, noting “It’s not just the fabulous design ideas you guys have, but it’s the emotion and the consideration that comes behind those ideas.”

Securing the second place in the Grand Final, young parents, Claire and Hagan’s ‘slice of heaven’ this week was their wonderful playground area. “The kids play space was a fabulous collection of really great ideas that worked together perfectly,” said Wendy. “You have built the foundation for many happy memories in a house that really needs them.” Wendy also loved their Scandi Chic bedrooms and thought they chose a lovely colour palette. However, Joe told them that their Manhattan living room was like walking into a doll’s house. “All the pieces of furniture just felt oversized,” he said faulting them for their use of size and scale. Overall, they scored 15 out of 20 from the judges.

Just two points behind on 13 out of 20, Melbourne husband-and-wife team Fil and Joe were eliminated. The pair lost points for their DIY Balinese resort cupboard doors and the amateur looking handwriting on their yellow bedroom wall. “They’ve done some good design, but their DIY has really let them down which is a pity,” said Joe. But they won applause for their fabulous Scandi kitchen, which Wendy awarded the best kitchen of the round. Wendy also praised their Balinese living room which she credited for having a great atmosphere. “It was an incredibly bold statement with that wall,” said Wendy. “But it sat so calmly with the luxurious leather lounge and the very restrained collection of cushions.” Despite not making it to the Grand Final, Fil and Joe were proud of their HOUSE RULES achievements and were happy to be going home to their dream house. “I’m not only proud of what we’ve done because it was really hard, but I’m proud of Joe,” Fil gushed.

Upon learning that they had made it through to the HOUSE RULES Grand Final with the chance of having their mortgage paid off, the country twins were very emotional. “We never thought we would make it through the first round let alone get this far in the competition,” revealed a teary Luke.

Claire and Hagan were also brought to tears when they too realised they were in the Grand Final and had a shot of enjoying a mortgage free life with their two young daughters. The couple had struggled being away from their daughters during the filming of HOUSE RULES, but now realised it had all been worth it.

The final scores were:

HOUSE RULES has just one important episode left this year to decide which team will live their life mortgage free. Will it be Team QLD Luke and Cody, or Team VIC Claire and Hagan?

HOUSE RULES Grand Final at 7.00 pm on Sunday, July 3.

1 Like

Because you wouldn’t get an outcome, obviously.

1 Like

[quote=“JBar, post:104, topic:633”]
Because you wouldn’t get an outcome, obviously.
[/quote] That is my point. The judges aren’t scoring fairly because they are thinking " I have to score this team more or less than that team so it doesn’t result in a tie…" All reality shows are the same.