House Rules

It was not just Troy who lashed out at Drew, Harry also had a go at LLB’s critique.
Overall it was the size of Aaron and Daniella’s house which took its toll on all five teams. Apart from Andrew’s untimely injury, all five teams had parts uncompleted in their zones. Like Andrew and Jono’s house, the kitchen was too big and the dining room was too small.

2 Likes

The three younger couples had obviously formed an alliance, and from their comments about the rooms (particularly the underwhelming kitchen) you could tell they knew exactly which teams had done each room. It wouldn’t have mattered how bad or good the two older argumentative teams had done, they were guaranteed bad scores, with the two inoffensive wholesome guys in the middle. That sums up every week.

Letting the winners alocate the rooms each week does open the show up for a bit of corruption - they could easily tip each other off they’d do a certain room either in their house or should they win one week.

It was fairer when only the winners chose their zone - that process pretty much meant that each team got a fair crack at doing the core zones over the series (each doing a kitchen, a bathroom, Master bedroom etc), and previously producers would just change the prize if they felt they needed to be fairer. I’m no fan of Fiona and Nicole but they got done over this series - might have been largely of their own making, but still they never got a fair crack of the whip.

Back to Troy vs the judges - annoyed me that nobody bought up at the point that they themselves scored a far superior zone from Sean and Ella as a two the previous week.

2 Likes

Troy and Bec might have won five points for getting a pass for their bonus room, but they still lost to Fiona and Nicole by one point after the scores from the six renovations were tallied, thanks to Drew’s marking down of the NSW couple’s Gold Coast renovation.
It was not surprising that in the 24-hour fix-it challenge, three teams chose to revamp Fiona and Nicole’s renovation because the ladies did a poor job, especially keeping the brick wall in Kate and Harry’s house. The promo suggested Fiona and Nicole might face another elimination, but I think it could be Kate and Harry (who spent most of the money hiring tradies) or Sean and Ella (who decided to revamp the entry and lounge room with more timber) who were at risk.
Also, why was it hard for Andrew and Jono to hire tradesmen in their local area or Perth in the afternoon? Do they really get off work at 3pm?

1 Like

House Rules Top 10 Reveals

Tuesday 13 June at 7:30PM

We countdown the hottest reveals ever on House Rules. From cutting edge kitchen design to bathrooms that blew us away, we revisit the makeovers that got Australia talking. Plus, relive the homeowners excitement and tears and they explore their homes, room by room. This one hour special is packed with the best befores and afters ever seen on House Rules. But which reveals make the list? And which home will be number one?

They were also claiming they had to buy almost everything over the phone and get it delivered, making out they lived in the middle of nowhere. They couldn’t​ have gone to Harvey Norman?

Andrew and Jono showed why they were the team to beat in this competition. They not only improved the look of the entry and hallway but also enhanced the bar by adding a table and a Chesterfield and brick colour wallpaper, which fit the speakeasy theme. Not surprised they got high scores from the judges.
Sean and Ella chose to fix the lounge room and hallway in their Hobart home. The judges had mixed views on the couple painting the lounge wall pink, exposing the TV and the heater. Laurence loved the coffee table made of logs, but wondered if the logs had been treated because he felt there were termites.
Aaron and Daniella and Kate and Harry were both panned for knocking down walls in their respective zones (master suite and lounge) and not making much improvement to them. LLB was very scathing of Kate and Harry because they spent so much energy on removing the dreaded wall, forgetting they were still in the competition. Their statement piece (a timber shelf in the laundry) was simply a joke. Team SA was very lucky to survive elimination by just one point.
And what were Fiona and Nicole thinking? LLB thought they were selfish by doing Troy and Bec’s zone for personal reasons. They removed the junk from the hallway ceiling in Fiona’s home, but then installed a ladder with fake plants and bird cages, and painted over the blue colour on the wall (which was initially praised) with a darker blue. For Keanan’s room they simply reshuffled the furniture. The only good thing they did was the red panelling in the laundry. They were finally eliminated but only just.

1 Like

According to the latest promo, Aaron & Daniella’s exterior renovation was completed when the remnants of Cyclone Debbie hit the Gold Coast at the end of March and beginning of April. This was only 2 months ago so there wasn’t much of a gap between filming and airing of the show. Perhaps this is so there isn’t much of a wait for the Live Grand Final for the two teams that make it that far between the filming and airing of this Live Grand Final. Also, I don’t see why they insisted on carrying out Aaron & Daniella’s exterior renovation when they knew Cyclone Debbie was coming. Couldn’t it have been rescheduled to the week after or before this? Surely the producers would have seen the cyclone coming days in advance and tried to sort out some sort of arrangement so the teams wouldn’t have to be working right when the storm hits. One thing I do know is that this certainly won’t be pleasant to watch at all, trying to save a house from flooding rather than doing what we want to see; a stunning exterior renovation at Aaron & Daniella’s waterfront house be completed without any issues like this.

1 Like

I saw an article on news.com.au this morning (it was posted last night) about Aaron and Daniella’s exterior renovation and I thought of the same thing. Why couldn’t the producers reschedule the renovation? They put the two teams, tradesmen and camera crew at serious risk. Seven has a lot of explaining to do.

2 Likes

They sure do I think. They shouldn’t have put everyone through something like this. There would had to have been a way around it. I certainly hope they didn’t just continue with it for ratings and attention so they could promote it like they are & just to cause more drama in the show now that Fiona & Nicole left last night and the two controversial teams are gone, thus making a very convenient way to stir up more drama by taking advantage of mother nature…

Cyclone Debbie didn’t make it to the Gold Coast; there was a severe rain event. Images of Paul Burt standing on a windswept beach don’t really equate to what the suburbs experienced :slight_smile: Severe weather has the potential to negatively impact any of the renovations, there could potentially be torrential rain at any site during any of the series but I’m not sure how it seriously endangered anyone. I think that the flooding mentioned in promos would be the sort that can happen at construction sites when there is a prolonged downpour caused by down pipes being disconnected for the renovation, proper drainage not installed, piles of soil, un-laid turf, rubbish skips etc stopping water getting away. Potentially a huge mess where the water could flow into the house but not as severe as a river flooding the property and something that renovators and tradies deal with all the time. I might be wrong though.

The ‘severe rain event’ more or less was Cyclone Debbie and I did earlier refer to the system as ‘the remnants of Cyclone Debbie’ where we all should remember that there were heavy downpours of rain around the Gold Coast where Aaron & Daniella’s house is. It was never mentioned that the wind would play a factor in tonight’s so-called disaster, just the flooding rains that did cause disaster and major flooding around that area and northern NSW like Lismore and this is what is seen in the promo, attempting to sandbag Aaron & Daniella’s house to save it from the massive downpours of rain that did occur from the weather system that was the remnants of Cyclone Debbie. In fact, even the vision in the promo is misleading; they are using footage from homes and the area in Far North Queensland where the big storm actually hit, quite far away from Aaron & Daniella’s house on the Gold Coast!!

There is a two page article in TV Week this week. It seems that exterior renovation of Sean and Ella’s Hobart house took place at the same time as Aaron and Daniella’s, thus why the latter could not be postponed.

2 Likes

As it always is. Why would you think there’s some sort of conspiracy going on? :rolling_eyes:

Because they don’t milk it enough already!

The standard this year has been so poor though - only one ten throughout the main competition when usually most teams would get a 10 at some point and the best would get close to a perfect score once or twice. Andrew and Jonos fix up was overmarked too IMO - yes, a significant improvement but ultimately they hung a couple of pictures, painted an awful hallway white and bought a new sofa. Some questionable marking all round too - Fiona and Nicole and Troy and Bec were clearly the alsorans of the competition and glad they’re both now gone but really do think they were marked based on judges their earlier mistakes over the last couple of rounds.

Another thought about the scoring too and specifically the bonus room. Wouldn’t it have been better for the home owners not to know which zone the bonus room was attached too and then if there was any collusion (i.e. telling the homeowners if they got to choose they’d do the kitchen or give a certain team a certain room) the home owners still wouldn’t know who did the bonus room.

In the Mediaweek interview with her and Better Homes and Gardens EP Jason Franklin today, Joh’s new show will be called Amazing Australian Architecture.

Jo was on The Morning Show this morning and said it usually takes 6-8 months to film a series

Tomorrow’s episode of Sunday Night features Melissa Doyle’s interview with LLB at his England home.

1 Like

Channel 7 go at a 20-1 style program…next up top 10 home and away weddings, top 10 Larry & Kylie funniest moments, top 10 Kochies blow ups, top 10 better home and gardens makeovers…the list is endless

Caught with the first episodes of the gardens promo. So the weather was fine on the first three days of renovations at Aaron and Daniella’s house in late March, but it was on the final day that remnants of Cyclone Debbie hit the Gold Coast, forcing work to be halted with seven hours to go. I still think the producers could have moved the renovation forward (I wonder if it was scheduled to suit Carolyn who flew to both Gold Coast and Hobart to see the renovations?).
Sean and Ella asked for an entertainer’s deck to be built outside their house, and Aaron and Daniella chose to built both upper and lower deck. During the episode I noticed the window at the lounge folded to give access to the upper deck. Was the window modified to a door during interior renovations?