Hot Seat

Maybe if a new logo was introduced, set updated slightly and dare I say it, new host the new format could’ve worked well but it felt a little bit half hearted tonight. Will be interesting to see what 9 does with the show after this years ratings. There’s till a market for shows like hot seat it’s just a matter of keep them fresh and innovating new ideas while not ridding them of the traditional aspects of game shows.

Would have been better just having more questions to get to a million dollars (ie - 20 total) and add in a couple more contestants if they must do the 1 hour format.

Eddie should be engaging with the contestants in the first half more. It feels quite flat.

1 Like

Or better yet the entire studio audience plays fastest finger and the top 6 from that go on to play in the Hot Seat. That would be a fun concept to totally mix things up. Kind of like the original version of Deal Or No Deal in a way.

3 Likes

I watched last night and I agree with the comments here. The fastest finger went way too long and seemed pointless (maybe they should have kicked the ‘loser’ of the segments out). Nothing really new about it as the regular Hot Seat still ran from 5.20-6.00. Obviously, Nine have the minute-to-minutes but I would imagine that the Final Chase on The Chase is what viewers like the most.

Last night’s show had a mix of Hot Seat, Millionaire, The Chase, Deal or No Deal and Million Dollar Minute.

1 Like

I didn’t realise “Fastest Finger First” went for 20 minutes!!! :anguished:

That’s ridiculous.

I will have to record it and watch to see for myself (I don’t usually get home until about 5.30).

Looks to me, at least on the first night, that viewers who were used to watching Nine News @ 5pm mostly switched to Ten’s bulletin.

TEN EYEWITNESS NEWS 453,000 107,000 119,000 88,000 60,000 78,000
NINE’S AFTERNOON NEWS 5PM 381,000 139,000 77,000 96,000 31,000 39,000

TEN EYEWITNESS NEWS 562,000 141,000 156,000 109,000 66,000 90,000
HOT SEAT -5PM 405,000 113,000 133,000 89,000 47,000 23,000

7 Likes

Watched it and didn’t like it. There needs to be a further incentive for the winner of fastest finger - it seemed kind of pointless. Also looks awkward with Eddie standing up and the podium things seem so small with the contestants so lurched over.

2 Likes

There are two commercial breaks in those twenty minutes but still there was like 15 questions.

[quote=“TV.Cynic, post:106, topic:714”]
Looks to me, at least on the first night, that viewers who were used to watching Nine News @ 5pm mostly switched to Ten’s bulletin.
[/quote] Probably should be expected. Hot Seat needs to poach viewers from The Chase.

Watching it now. Is there a endgame to this?
Does it decide what order they sit for the actual questions or is it just let’s play Fastest Finger for 20 mins because we can?

Not sure,… I still haven’t watched the first 30 mins of it (as I don’t usually get hime until 5.30pm).

I might have to record it, or look for it on 9Now.

The winner (most + fastest correct) gets $1000. They can then exchange this money to use one of three lifelines (swap the question, 50/50 answers, ask a friend in the audience) at any time during their game. Order of contestants remains the same.

1 Like

I’ve watched a few full episodes now.
This new format is not a winner.
20 minutes and 15 questions at the start of the show to give away a miserable $1000 with the option to purchase a lifeline with it. - It’s beyond tedious, and just looks like a tacked on prelude.
If nine want to boost this show, this is not the way to do it. They should go back to a snappy half an hour and up the ante with the prize money - that could easily be done by adjusting the prize decrements following wrong answers i.e. first question wrong and the prize money drops to $500,000 rather than $250,000 and so on.
Yes, they would give away more money, but hopefully it would improve ratings.

9 Likes

I’d said it before and I will say it again. They should have just put the original format of Millionaire back. Not this crap.

2 Likes

I’m not sure that the original format would work in a late afternoon timeslot.

It is a bit heavy and serious, the current format (not withstanding the drawn out fastest finger first), is faster moving and more light hearted - I think that is more suited to people coming home from a hard day’s work and are looking to put their feet up and relax.

Bring back Temptation

11 Likes

Now that was a great show !

I wonder how viable it would be to relaunch Jeopardy! on Australian television. I feel the format could flourish in the right time slot and hosted by someone who isn’t Tony Barber.

$ale anyone?

1 Like

How come they axed Temptation? Bad ratings?