Hot Seat

You know that doesn’t count

1 Like

If they weren’t willing to go a multi/Super Millionaire-type format - depending on whether you think just offering a million’s “old hat”, or people think it’s “psychologically life-changing enough” that don’t need to offer more than a single million - it wouldn’t be the worst thing they could try.

One of Millionaire’s original competitors, Greed (hosted here by Kerri-Anne Kennerley on Ten, back in 2001) tried doing that, adding $10k each episode to a $1m base, mimicking the US version’s initial run that started at $2 million.

I’d love to see Sale come back, David Campbell would be a great host. Needs to be 30mins though. News at 5 maybe and move Tiping Point to 4pm.

8 Likes

Just a question, would regionals and Gold Coast drop a 5pm news to air a Sale reboot at 5 and retain their 5:30 news programs?

I am not sure about the feasibility of a 5pm news program until 10 move news from 5

Not sure what you mean by 5pm news outside of Adelaide and Perth?

Assuming Nine retains 4pm news in 2024, with new game show(s) from 5pm, I think Gold Coast and regionals will air these from 4.30 as they do now with Hot Seat then local news still at 5.30 too.

2 Likes

I’m responding to TV Heads suggestion of Tipping Point at 4:00pm, Nine News at 5:00pm and presumably Sale Of The Century at 5:30pm

1 Like

Wouldn’t it make more sense just to continue the current situation though? Surely airing the replacement show in the same manner as Hot Seat is being aired currently (in regional areas at least) would still be a viable option?
Shortening the News to 30 minutes (4:30 pm to 5 pm) wouldn’t really work in regional areas because it would mean local news would either have to replace the metro afternoon bulletin (I highly doubt Nine would allow that) or air in place of the metro 6 pm to allow for a network-wide schedule.

I wasn’t suggesting it was necessarily a good idea, I was trying to clarify how it would work in areas where local news is inserted at 5:30

8 Likes

I guess that answers that question.

4 Likes

I would say that will be kept at a 1 hour format. I personally think people are getting exhausted with 1 hour game shows at the 5 til 6 timeslot. But the programmers think they know best

4 Likes

Exactly what I and many others are suspecting!

Can’t wait to see the local adaptation. Though as I touched on a while ago I think $10,000 is too low of a jackpot - should be $100,000 (similarly, when Channel Seven picked up the Weakest Link franchise in 2001 they raised the maximum possible jackpot to $100,000; the UK’s maximum possible prize was £10,000).

1 Like

Absolutely. Both the jackpot and counters need to be worth more to build excitement. 10k is not a life changing moment in today’s world.

2 Likes

It depends whether the format is strong enough for one hour or if it’s a 30 minute show dragged out. The Chase works well in that regard.

4 Likes

Definitely, though I can’t recall the last time I watched the full hour/from 5, always just the 5:30pm show and most times just the ‘final chase’ (or last 15-20min, might be lucky to catch the end of the last ‘cash builder’). Looking at ratings, it would seem the majority are the same, but yes acknowledging plenty still choose to watch much earlier or the whole show. Something Nine will be looking at closely I’m sure when producing Tipping Point AU (we’re presuming).

I’ve often wondered too if the Chase-news combo is a bit 50/50 generated, in that devoted 6pm news starters tune-in 5-10min or so in advance (pushing Chase’s ratings up), while final chase lovers tune-in in the same timeslot and then stick around for news (increasing news’ figures), both on top of the already rusted on viewership for both shows’ full lengths.

1 Like

I would say that type of people who are in front of the television at 5pm watching game shows have all the time in the world. :older_man: :older_woman:

4 Likes

Would love to see LIVE specials for the final week on Hot Seat.

5 Likes

Can’t see them doing live just for 30 minutes each day… would be nice though!

1 Like

Eddie had about 4 goes at pronouncing the 2nd word in this plant (in apostrophes).

The contestant passed, He was not happy … his reaction to “you’re not going to make me ask it again are you?” Contestant “Yes”

5 Likes

I know Nine won’t do anything like this, but I think the last episodes of Hot Seat should be or should have been assuming taping has finished, cut back to 30 minutes and start the new Game show at 5pm this year.

My reasoning is it takes it back to how it all began, a 30 minute format.

Given that most days there is something other than a midday movie in Nine each day, it could work, moving the 2pm to 4pm game shows up half hour and putting Hot Seat on at 3:30pm.