Hot Seat

Back when he was also CEO…

2 Likes

Close, but not quite. He was CEO of Nine between February 2006 and May 2007, often shifting between Sydney and Melbourne during his tenure. This meant he had to give up hosting WWTBAM.

2 Likes

From memory Eddie was filling in for a Tracy for a few weeks while production and herself moved to Melbourne.

3 Likes

Eddie will receive AFL life membership on March 9, for his media roles and also as Collingwood president from 1998 to 2021.

4 Likes

The show’s 2500th episode will be shown in the week of April 17, according to an opinion piece on TV quiz shows by Ben Pobjie in The Age Green Guide this week.

3 Likes

2500 CHANCES AT WINNING A MILLION DOLLARS

MONDAY, APRIL 17, AT 5.00PM CHANNEL 9 & 9NOW

400x275

Millionaire Hot Seat , Australia’s longest running quiz show – which has given away more than $60 million in prizemoney – hits a new high on Monday, April 17, at 5.00pm on Channel 9 and 9Now.

That day, the nation’s favourite game show, hosted by Eddie McGuire, notches up its 2500th episode, with $1 million to be won and six hopeful contestants going for it.

Millionaire Hot Seat started on Monday, April 20, 2009, and its first winner, Kate Hopkins, took home $20,000. Since then, Eddie has asked over 50,000 questions and greeted 15,000 contestants.

Two people have hit the jackpot in Hot Seat history, winning the million dollars, seven have made it to the million-dollar question, and 34 contestants have won $250,000.

Eddie said: “What a special episode this will be! Congratulations to all the crew working behind the scenes to make 2500 episodes happen, and thank you to everyone that watches the show. It’s an honour to be Australia’s longest standing game show.”

Tune in for a milestone in Australian television and enjoy a recap as Eddie also runs through 14 years of highlights in this special edition of Millionaire Hot Seat.

5 Likes
2 Likes

Whether you like him or not, Eddie is an Aussie TV legend, right up there with Bert Newton, Graham Kennedy etc in my books.

Well done Ed. Lock it in.

8 Likes

Yeah, nah. You had to go…too far.

1 Like

That’s not going too far IMO. If you consider the cultural impact Eddie has made during his TV and broader media career he is certainly worthy of that comparison.

4 Likes

I don’t think it’s too far at all.

Over the last 30 years or so, he’s been a journalist, football commentator and host, a CEO, has his own TV production company, been on all 3 commercial networks, and hosted Millionaire and now 2500 Hot Seat episodes. And he’s not even 60 years old yet.

I don’t think anyone else has done such a wide variety of TV work that he has.

6 Likes

It was great to see some of the congratulatory messages from overseas Millionaire hosts during todays episode. Poland, Finland, Austria, India and Greece all had their hosts do messages, only the Greek wasn’t in English.

3 Likes

6 Likes

Nova Radio’s ( Chrissie Swan Show) reported this afternoon that Hot Seat maybe axed?

2 Likes

Reported or speculated?

I don’t know if this was designed to help flagging ratings, but a viewer specific “question” appeared during Hot Seat tonight. Haven’t seen them do this before. Note the watermark disappeared whilst the following question graphics appeared.

2 Likes
5 Likes

A cryptic tweet from Allan Raskall adding more fuel to the fire.

3 Likes

There is also this, which, of course, could be for anything.

2 Likes

Depending on how many episodes of Hot Seat have already been filmed, but i can see it being axed by the end of the year. The show can’t last forever. It’s had its fair share.

However… If for whatever reason Nine wants to continue with Hot Seat in the future (part of Eddie’s contract, perhaps?), would Nine consider reverting the show back to 30 minute episodes? That would make us see less of Eddie waffle on to drag out the show as we currently see. lol.

3 Likes