Home and Away

Panic mode or making wise decisions? Let’s see. Shows get bumped all the time for performing poorly.

1 Like

I don’t think it has performed that badly. It is weak but it isn’t the reason MKR is down, Dance Boss failed etc. Compared to most shows on tv that have lost significant chunks of their audience, the Home and Away audience hasn’t shrunk by as much.

1 Like

AFL season is late March to the last Saturday in September. The Thursday night matches will be held in two batches: March 21-April 18, then June 13-27.

1 Like

I’m all for consistency and a 30 year show deserves to be treated well. However I think there is an opportunity for seven here. Perhaps move first run episodes of the show to 7TWO at 7pm where it’s audience can find it and then air an encore episode on the main channel later in the night or even the following afternoon/week day. They can run an omnibus style catch up in the main channel on Saturday’s etc.

I mean let’s face it, Home and Away is a hole in sevens schedule. There’s is a sizeable dip in audience between the end of the news and their 7:30 shows consistently every week of the year.

I don’t think it’s ever in any danger of being cancelled as I am sure overseas sales are enough to keep it afloat.

10 Likes
2 Likes

Schedules are planned well in advance of when they’re released, so Seven programming won’t be pulling their hair out trying to find a time slot.

While they’ve given the appearance that this was a snap decision, there’s every likelihood this was planned months ago, and kept under wraps as long as possible to avoid a counter move from Nine.

6 Likes

Agreed.
I think they planned to delay H&A all along. Promos never said a date. The sing-a-long promo would’ve been designed to keep the show in viewers minds without promoting any specific storylines. We’re only starting to see those promos now.
Think this was planned all along.

4 Likes

https://www.facebook.com/121655557857406/posts/2173305029359105/

Not sure if I’ve posted this correctly…

Yeah I see it , it says 97.3fm

Home and Away fans were furious to hear that the return of their favourite show had been delayed… And looks like Channel 7 is taking note… :raised_hands:

1 Like

From the article

So, Channel 7 personality (and sister station Mix 102.3 breakfast host) Mark ‘Soda’ Soderstrom went and got the “official line” from his employers and delivered it on air this morning in an attempt to appease worried Summer Bay fans.

He confirmed there’d be no Home And Away until after the cricket, AND that My Kitchen Rules (MKR) would start in that precious 7pm spot but that things wouldn’t stay that way with Home And Away certain to take its 7pm spot back.

“So MKR at 7pm until cricket season is over, then MKR will go to 7.30pm, (and) Home and Away (will be) back in its traditional 7pm timeslot as soon as the cricket finishes.”

The Big Bash cricket season finishes on 17 February which leaves Home and Away free to return on Monday 18 February.

http://www.973fm.com.au/entertainment/entertainment-news/home-away-2019-return-7pm-timeslot/

1 Like

When it comes back in February, how can they air it without double episodes/triple episodes ?

It just means they will be three weeks closer to episodes in the UK (5 weeks instead of 8). They will just have to make sure they keep showing double/triple episodes later in the year to stay ahead.

Seven can show double/triple episodes in the first week of Easter non-ratings (week commencing April 14) if it wants to.

2 Likes

Or another way is to run the show year round like Neighbours (move to 7TWO during Cricket season).

1 Like

Neighbours use to have an encore screening of all that weeks episodes on Sunday afternoon. It was great for me because I wasn’t able to watch it during the week and it brought me back to the show for the first time in many, many years. Perhaps that’s what Ch7 should do, rather than expecting viewers to sit through three episodes on a Thursday night when you’re tired after work.

Seven used to have Home And Away re-run / catch-ups on the weekends on 7Two

That’s right, I’d forgotten about them. Perhaps while they’re doing the triple episodes they should have these catch ups too. I assume they would be cheaper to screen than the old repeats they’re showing now.

They stopped doing the Sunday morning catch-up about 18 months/2 years ago. Don’t know why, previously it was only occasionally cancelled for Sport.

New promo began to air from last night, including snippets from last year’s season finale and this year’s season premiere. It confirms it will start in February “after the cricket”.

It’s either the 11th or the 18th for H & A