Holey Moley

Even without adverts, it’s too long :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

Really looking forward to the show!

2 Likes

More focus on the golf less on all this fluffy bullshit.

1 Like

What’s everyone’s thoughts?

I like some moments, but it’s not compelling tv that’s for sure, find myself easily distracted whilst watching!

1 Like

Probably still one of Seven’s best shows in a long time, from a production perspective.

Riggle and Shirvington are good. Sonia is OK but her role is somewhat minimal which is a plus. It just needs to be shorter! They could probably get more episodes out of shorter episodes.

I also like how it doesn’t take itself seriously.

Laughed at the claim Greg Norman designed the course. Bullshit.

Prefer the dynamic between Riggle and Tessitore in the American version. Perhaps the rapport with “Shrivo” will develop over time.

Too long, too many times a week. Viewer fatigue will set in early I suspect.

2 Likes

Very very average stuff. Bit of a snorefest tbh should be more exciting than this.

Think it will launch well but will be surprised if it holds much of an audience beyond that.

5 Likes

Looks nice, but I think viewer fatigue will settle in fast.

6 Likes

The zany courses are what’s keeping me watching at the moment, but once I’ve seen them all, or enough of them, yes, I’ll lose interest quickly too. They are colourful and pretty courses.

I don’t really like Rob Riggle though.

Just watching this - I was actually a little disappointed. This had potential to be a fine show, but parts of the execution are off. Commentary is fine but I can already tell how scripted and ungenuine a lot of the banter is, and it kinda does wreck the “funny” part of the show. Maybe it might just be the case for the first episode, I’m not sure. But it’s certainly detracting.

Although on the plus side - it is kind of fun watching the contestants zigzag their way through the courses :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

IMO i’d already seen the show! From Seven’s non-stop marketing for 2+ months

2 Likes

Who watches that much content on Seven?

3 Likes

They were shown heaps during the cricket, multi-channels and 7plus - those three I’ve watched quite a bit over summer

1 Like

Agree about the dynamic - Riggle & Tessitore play off each other really well whereas it doesn’t seem like (at least based on the first ep anyway) Shrivo is the right person to be the play-by-play commentator. Reckon the original choice of Brian Taylor would have had a better dynamic with Riggle.

About the length, it wasn’t as bad as I feared it was going to be because the additional time (compared to the US version) was mostly used to show the holes being played in full (something which the US version doesn’t always do). My only criticism is the 2nd chance playoff to make the final round isn’t necessary and just seemed to be there to stretch out the show.

The big issue Holey Moley will have is Seven’s decision to air it 3 times a week. The hole repetition isn’t an issue if the show aired weekly (or even twice weekly) but it’s going to be if someone watches it night after night

5 Likes

In fact BT would be good with this guy. Both as nutty as each other and would suit the format it seems.

5 Likes

My thoughts: overall I find this show to be a very good show to watch. The font was not too bad though it still looks to be quite American-centric. It looks similar concept to Australia Ninja warrior.
The commentators are Good and provide a lot of good banter. Sonia Kruger - yeah nah. There’s too much exposure of here. They could have got Olympia valance instead. Thankfully, Brian Taylor is not on the show.

I wonder if Seven originally signed Shirvington for the Olympics, news or Holey Moley? I thought it waa announced as the former - but then coronavirus got out of control and 2020 postponed and Holey Moley got paused and changed.

But agree, when BT was first announced ages back, sounded like a good decision, he’s proven (high rating Full Monty and Friday AFL).

1 Like

From memory, Seven originally signed Matt Shirvington as a replacement for Jim Wilson on Friday/Saturday night Sydney Sport. Although I’ve got no doubt the network has grander plans to build Shirvo up as a major network personality.

One of the worst programs I’ve ever had the displeasure of watching. Cheap and nasty like a lot of 7 shows and the commentary is horrendous. The person I recorded it for and watched it with has been looking forward to it for weeks but after the first episode, he said “no more”. Moronic garbage!

2 Likes

I have to disagree. Sure, i was not expecting a high class BBC period drama, but it was good fun entertainment i could watch with the kids.

Sure some of the jokes in commentry were a little on the edge (the uranus section for example) but i found it a decent watch.

I can’t help but feel a 6:30 sat night timeslot or a friday night one would be better for this. it is the sort of show you should be able to watch with the kids

1 Like