Holey Moley

I realise the show is heavily edited by nature but I can’t help thinking it’d add a bit more drama if it was live AEST. If they could bend the format/course to make it work, I wonder if that might make it work a bit better?

5 Likes

I thought that too. If they ramped up the sports aspect and toned down the silliness and dodgy puns it would be quite watchable.

They could recruit more amateur and professional golfers to compete. This season we saw the likes of Montana Strauss taking part.

That’s what I was thinking earlier as well (and got shot down for it :sweat_smile:). Promote the show like an actual sporting phenomenon like Ninja (except for mini golf) instead of the tasteless humour it relies on and it would have better potential to perform well. Apparently a lot of people didn’t like the constant piss takes and the fact that the show doesn’t take itself seriously.

Which in of itself is interesting considering both of those aspects is why the show has done well in the US

1 Like

Almost as if they’re two separate markets and an Australian broadcaster should’ve known that.

5 Likes

Except even in the US the show is not rating that well at the moment. The 2nd season started off with 4.4 million and a 0.8 in the 18-49 demo in May and by the final episode of the season in September it was down to 1.9 million and 0.4 in the demo.

It looks like people only watch it when theres no other competition.

1 Like

do they change the courses each season?

The second US season was a mixture of new courses and some upgraded courses from the first series.

I think the trouble is nowadays the Aussie networks have a slot for reality TV and a slot for post-reality television (which they don’t particularly seem to care about), but don’t really have a slot which is all about family entertainment.

Seven is showing two episodes from season 2 of original US version next Monday and Tuesday as a filler.

SAS Australia season 2 starts on September 13.

1 Like

Seven’s head of programming Angus Ross had this to say regarding Holey Moley, in an interview with TV Tonight:

Being able to do that show relies on us piggybacking off other internationals coming to this market. That’s a decision (where we’ll) run the numbers at that time, and look at it again. We have an investment in the set here so we’d love people to come and start using it.

So nothing new to report. He’s stated this three times during the year.

1 Like

Maybe the question was put to Seven because people keep asking about it?

And if any other country was intending to film there, even if they’re having to wait for the border situation to ease up significantly, they’d know about it by now.

Not exactly an easy sell to get broadcasters to come and film on the course that was home to the flop local version. If Eureka really think it has potential elsewhere then they need to look at alternative filming options - something perhaps similar to the Ninja Warrior set up in Europe where they can pack a course up in to a few lorries and move it around the contininent.

1 Like

The Courier-Mail reports the show could leave Brisbane when Eureka’s contract expires this weekend.

The plug is set to be pulled on producing a multimillion-dollar golfing reality TV game show east of Brisbane after a three-year contract expires on Saturday (July 29).

Eureka Productions, producers of Channel 7’s Holey Moley golf game TV show, signed the lease with Redland City Council in 2020.

Eureka Productions, commissioned by Seven Network to produce the show for Australian and international markets, has not yet revealed any new production locations.

Redland City Council refused to comment on the production moving out of the city.

3 Likes

I thought the set was going to be used for US versions?

Yeah they were used for international versions, the lease has just expired.

I’m not sure any international versions were ever filmed there though. I’ve not seen any reports of any other country picking it up.

The US version filmed in the US (on the old/new Wipeout course). There was a plan to film the next season on the Aussie set but that never progressed and the show has been quietly dumped.

2 Likes