HM Queen Elizabeth II (1926-2022) -- Funeral Coverage

Fantastic coverage from BBC throughout the last ten days

7 Likes

Elizabeth was Queen of the Commonwealth, that’s why.

1 Like

For me I mainly watched Seven, and Sky News Regional of the coverage.

When it was not on Seven, Sky News was providing rolling coverage.

Yesterday the day of the funeral, when Seven broke away from the coverage for the 6pm news I flicked over to Sky News Regional who were taking Sky News B rolling coverage of the VIP’s arriving at the Abbey.

All the coverage was excellent and respectful.
I allowed my young kids to stay up and watch it, and be a part of history.

5 Likes

It went beyond that - obviously the Americans who love talking about Independence but don’t understand irony love the royals too, so all their networks are in London. It’s had widespread coverage across Europe too - most PSBs at least had live coverage today.

2 Likes

Here is 7 hours in 3 minutes:

2 Likes

Seven handed over to ITV around 12:30 am, continuing until the credits rolled at 3am. Then they switched to Sky which was basically a highlights package. They lost that signal around 4:35am - with a test pattern running for 4 minutes until a switch to CNN. That continued until Sunrise.

Sunrise was in the UK until the first local break at 5:43am where standard orange supers were used. However, a couple of breaks later they had switched to using gold for all their supers except for breaking news out of Mexico.

4 Likes

Great job by all the networks… massive event!

11 Likes

Snap poll being done by 3AW. A lot of people saying they watched via Seven and Sky.

Nine had BBC coverage from around midnight with the Australian team saying farewell around 1:25am switching to Sky for the rest of the evening. Today was on air at 5am with a weather beak at 5:45am with the first local news break at 6:06am which started with the Mexico earthquake.

2 Likes

Nine showed some front pages

3 Likes

And here are the front pages of today’s Herald Sun and The West Australian:

2 Likes

Certainly a massive effort from the UK broadcasters to pull off the event without a hitch. And, despite a few hiccups, the Australian media did a fantastic job as well.

I hope that comments that this will be the biggest news story and coverage that we will ever see turn out to be correct, because there are a lot worse things that could make news than a funeral.

7 Likes

The New Zealand Herald front page today:

May be an image of 2 people and text that says "Photo/AP Photp THE STATE FUNERAL OF QUFEN ELIZABETH II L The Let Zealand Ljerald Te Herora o Aotearoa 'WITH GRATITUDE WE REMEMBER. WITH ADMIRATION WE RECALL. WITH THANKSGIVING WE PRAISE.'"

2 Likes

this did seem a bit unusual. SBS doesn’t usually follow the pack when it comes to royal events or, as you say, it usually offers alternatives even if it is a doco about the royals, and as the 2nd national broadcaster it should be largely to complement ABC not compete with it as such. But I suppose the lure of covering such a massive event was too much to resist and if it was just tapping into the BBC coverage it probably didn’t cost that much, either.

3 Likes

That would make sense given the demographic of 3AW’s listenership

1 Like

Should’ve done this earlier, but who do we think won the ratings battle last night?

• Nine
  • Seven
  • ABC
  • SBS
  • Sky
  • 10 Bold

0 voters

1 Like

I was mainly watching Sky UK and BBC News

It was ABC.

1 Like

Expecting Nine, but hoping ABC. They had less useless drivel during the local coverage before the funeral.

You can only talk for so long before you need to find some kind of nonsense filler to keep talking.

Their “BBC” network.