Hit Network

It will be interesting to see if the other stations adopt the format or whether it remains unique to 2Day. SCA probably wouldn’t want to much of a music shift for the regional Hit stations.

Had a listen to 2Day this afternoon and really enjoyed the playlist. But once it hit 6pm Ash London steers the station back to full CHR. But this could be a good thing so the same ‘old’ songs aren’t flogged to death all the time.

3 Likes

This could work well too because the younger listeners wouldn’t be listening during the day and the older listeners wouldn’t be listening at night.

4 Likes

The same could be said for the KIIS Network. What do the lips mean for 97.3FM, Mix102.3 and 96FM? I too cannot see the logo changing.

Will RnB Fridays remain on 2Day? Maybe a more matured version?

Not necessary with the new playlist. They’re playing RnB music every day.

Wow. liking the sound of the new music format on 2Day.
Hearing 80s stuff on it again is soooo gonna take me back 30 years to the “In Tune With Today” format.
Even if only for 5 mins until I hear the manic DJs open their traps :slight_smile:

4 Likes

If they are indeed shifting formats then they’ll be targeting different demos, both of which will think their respective playlist is better than the other.

RadioToday has become the Women’s Weekly of radio. I guess that’s what happens when you ‘employ’ wannabe radio people and those who never made it as bloggers and pretend they’re journalists.

A station that rates low and has no network shows on it could hardly be called the flagship. Messing with fox would be a bad idea - does everyone forget how Mix rated for so long (despite admittedly having #1 breakfast at one point)?

The change for 2DAY will be friendly for advertisers and ratings - but not to the extent that they could become the powerhouse they once were.

Maybe Hit have finally realised that local programming beats network homogenisation…

Imagine 2DAY being the daggy station that Mix once was… some wouldn’t believe it.

I still think they’d be better with a proper Hot AC a la My1043 format. Maybe they took my advice after all :wink:

3 Likes

Ultimately, a commercial radio station licence is there to make money. In one sense, SCA have admitted that they Sydney market is too tough for three stations broadcasting basically the same format…so if you’re the lowest and all your attempts to stem the tide have failed, it is a fair strategy to go to a slightly different format with the aim of generating more ratings and more ka-ching. (TLS/Magic take note!)

The fact that it means two CHRs (KIIS1065/Nova) and a Hits & Memories/Mix FM format will then exist in Sydney and that was what existed prior to Mix1065’s relaunch, suggest that is closer to the natural demographics of the Sydney market. If SCA management are smart they will also leave Fox unchanged - which means KIIS1011 may as well revert to Mix101.1 and a 2DAY style format - because I don’t think the overall market demographics are that different between Melbourne and Sydney.

But then again, there’s probably wiser heads than me in these management teams than me (as I listen to Mushroom Jazz in the background, clearly I’m almost narrowcast or community radio demographics territory!)

5 Likes

2Day FM seem to be back to CHR after Ash London Live ended. I think this could work. Day/ night could be very different audiences.

4 Likes

Agree - and I’ve been saying it for two years. Just not sure how running half CHR/half AC will work for them. Will probably make them more money. I just don’t think they’ll ever hit the lofty heights they were once. But that’s okay.

I think you heavily underestimate the differences between the two. The demographics might not be so different, but the two markets are very, very different radio markets.

No one cares about nights anyway…

1 Like

As if. Nova and Hits have high profile shows at night because they know the younger demographics they’re targeting are listening at that time.

1 Like

I had a listen to 2Day FM for about 30 minutes last night from about 10pm, and was left feeling a bit underwhelmed, the songs sounded a bit same-ish , there were no 80s songs and the only sweeper they play was the same one, being a female voice that said “2Day FM” and that was it, no positioner no frequency ID, nothing else.

It gave me the impression that the decision to change music format was made very suddenly - without updating the on air “imaging” to match.

Also, the 2Day playlist can now be seen on onlineradiobox.com

Of the 80s songs they do play, there seems to be a bit of repetition in there, as songs like “Flashdance”, “Run To Paradise”, “Don’t Dream Its Over” and “Thorn In My Side” have already been played a few times.

1 Like

Ratings-wise I mean…

Feels like a soft launch/test.

If the audience hate it, you haven’t explicitly changed anything and can just switch your music back. If you go hard out on imaging and new tag lines etc. it makes it hard to walk back if everyone hates it.

This way they can play with the music and tweak it til it feels and sits right and then build the station ethos and imaging around it.

7 Likes

Nights build up TSL for a station traditionally as those who are listening, do it for longer.

Triple M have been doing the same forever.

2Day FM appears to be presenter-less again today.

apparently MC & Jaben don’t return until Monday next week - surprised they aren’t putting floaters in this week

Like Ellie Angel? I suppose it’s cheaper to have no presenters. Shhhh don’t tell management. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

So 2DayFM are playing a more adult playlist during the day and reverting to CHR of a night. This reminds me of how 2DayFM sounded from around 1995 - 2001 (when Nova went to air 2DayFM shifted to 24/7 CHR). The 9am - 7pm shift was AC and nights were CHR and a little dance orientated.

Between those years people who wanted CHR had nowhere else to go during the day so they stayed tuned to 1041. Nowadays the CHR audience can move to Nova or KIIS during the day.

This morning I heard Matchbox 20’s “Real World” on 2DayFM and loved it. As long as they don’t repeat the same 80s and 90s hits and make the music more of a surprise I may tune in during the workday.

I sill will not be listening at breakfast. This morning at 8.55am when the team were signing off one of the male hosts said “And we will be back tomorrow morning if management lets us” and this was followed by a loud burst of “spontaneous” laughter. Ever since Kyle and Jackie O left the station the breakfast show has been ruined by a belief that lots of laughter will make the audience think that the show is genuinely funny, instead it’s seriously irritating.

3 Likes

Firstly, the show ended at 9:10am this morning not 8:55am and secondly are you ever going to look for the positives? This show is with out a doubt the best show they’ve offered since K&J, yeah it’s not perfect, but what they’ve got going at the moment it’s a start. It’ll only get better. It’s ok to be critical when it’s warranted but I think this time they’re doing alright. The laughing thing. Look, your right, Christian really needs to be removed from the air. He laughs at absolutely everything. It’s totally unnecessary.

3 Likes