Hit Network

Grant Denyer joins 2Day FM Breakfast next year.

Em, Ed and Grant starts Jan 15.

So Em and Ed from Melbourne and Grant from Sydney?

So what’s that, every capital city brekky show on the Hit Network now has 3 co-hosts?

Not really The Em Rusciano Radio Show with xxxx anymore is it? Safe to say that terrible theme song she sung will go.

Em and Grant should have stood up for the photo.

4 Likes

Is it just me or does it all feel a little like grasping at straws…?

1 Like

Just you. This evolution in the breakfast show is better than just scrapping it completely and starting all over again every year.

I get the feeling that this is going to be another “zoo” style scream fest.

And just when we thought the ratings had bottomed out.

1 Like

It’s like they’re just throwing whoever is available in there and crossing their fingers hoping it works.

Personally, I’d be looking at the plethora of already established popular shows, some of which are in their own network…and most importantly giving them the space and support to do their thing and succeed/fail on their own terms rather than trying to shove extra hosts and force content…

1 Like

They’ve tried that before and it didn’t work either. Who do you suggest?

The show has now had 12 hosts in five years. This must be a record for an Australian radio station.

I look forward to Gemma Fordham’s official announcement that Grant is joining the show. My advice to her?

When in doubt, mumble.

5 Likes

Dan and Maz were never the right choice. Why you would take a non-rating drive show and put them on Sydney breakfast (other than being cheap) is beyond me.

Stav & Abbey or Bree & Gawnedy or Heather, Dan & Ben or Will & Woody or Tom & Olly…

Or you know - something that’s established elsewhere like KIIS have done with Jase & PJ.

After Kyle & Jackie O left, people would have been falling over themselves to get breakfast on 2DAY FM. Now, why would any semi-successful or established show take the risk?

They had Rove and they have Carrie… they’d have been better off having a Rove, Carrie and Peter Helliar show than Rove and the girl from The Bachelorette.

They should have nabbed Chrissie & Jane when they were dumped.

They should have nabbed Tom & Alex when they were dumped from Triple J.

Instead, the revolving door continues and with each swing a new D-grade celeb pops out to try and make the 2DAY breakfast show work for another 12 months.

Stay tuned for 2019. Which way will the door swing then?

4 Likes

One can hope…

1 Like

Grant Denyer?

For some reason, the news of Grant Denyer’s addition to 2DayFM breakfast in 2018 is making me picture a management board meeting where it’s decided that Em & Ed (and Harley Breen before him) don’t have much of a profile in Sydney and that “a major celebrity” is needed to boost the ratings of 2DayFM’s breakfast show.

I’ve jokingly suggested this a few times before but if the latest breakfast show doesn’t work out for them, perhaps 2DayFM should seriously consider running a competition where they give two people “the prize of a lifetime” by allowing them to host the breakfast show for (at least) a year. Obviously the terms & conditions would be set out in such a way that would result in quality entrants making the shortlist of finalists.

They could even get creative with such a competition by doing a week of breakfast shows over the Summer non-surveyed period which allows 2DayFM listeners to hear the five best finalists and choose their favourite via the website. Obviously the most popular of the choices amongst the public & 2DayFM management would win “the prize of a lifetime” of hosting the breakfast show, although there could be the lure of prizes like concert tickets or 2DayFM merchandise packs for lucky listeners who pick the winner!

Mind you, I’m not 100% sure how absolutely every element of a contest like this could work but at least if something like that actually happened, it’d be something interesting/different from 2DayFM for a change!

1 Like

@nickatnights dream team for 2DayFM Breakfast would be Alan, Kyle and Jackie.

3 Likes

Add Stephanie - the far right Nazi pensioner - that regularly calls Alan and I would be glued.

3 Likes

But that’s the same as getting Em and Harley in to do breakfast after they hosted a weekend show.

I’ve heard of Stav & Abby but have never heard their work. I don’t think I even know the others.

How? All the teams mentioned have been on air hosting a radio show in a major city every day for a number of years.

And I’d never heard of Em Rusciano or Harley Breen before. I’d also never heard of Kyle & Jackie O when they started. Or Fitzy. Or Wippa. Or Hamish & Andy. I could go on.

I know radio people today like to think that profile is everything, but I actually think quality radio is more important to a radio show. Funny thought, I know. The only reason Kyle & Jackie O have profile is because of their quality radio.

2 Likes

This is a surprising move. It will be interesting to see if Denyer can work on radio considering this is his first full time radio gig.
I think from a marketing and publicity perspective, ‘Em & Ed’ would have been far more marketable than ‘Em, Ed and Grant’.
And will Em, Ed and Grant be stronger than Jules Lund, Sophie Monk and Merrick Rosso?!