Hit Network

The problem here is that now there’s no incentive for broadcasters to do that. Adding “Listnr” to your phone or to a CarPlay/Android Auto capable headunit is far more valuable.

Both in that streaming gives them the user data and targeted advertising/demographic information, but also it increases the barriers. If I run iHeart or Listnr, then I’m locked out of the competitor’s programming. If you promote DAB listening, you’re a station flip away from the competition.

Obviously will be very interesting again with SCA trying this with a proven base - obviously there’d be part of the audience that listened to The Edge on DAB already where they’ll already be used to the platform, but those who were on 96.1 will just think they’ve vanished - the weird station name will just make a lot of people think that they are just Fridays only on 2Day, but can’t imagine any of the audience will stick around.

4 Likes

I agree. The overwhelming majority of my circle of friends and family have no idea what DAB is and the ones that do are technically minded anyway and the sole non-technically minded one that is interested in DAB lives outside the reception area anyway but commutes by car into a metropolitan area with DAB reception for which he chose his latest car by the fact it had a DAB radio!

This is a shame because if the choice offered by DAB was known by a larger proportion of the populous the increase in listenership and TSL would offset any promotional costs.

The misses is a fan of Mike E & Emma but doesn’t follow their socials. If it were not for the fact I told her about their new gig after reading it on here she would be completely oblivious to their new show. It’s a moot point anyway as we don’t have DAB in the car during the morning commute and can’t be bothered Bluetooth’ing it during the short drive.

Look how little promotion Steve Price’s show gets outside the regional stations.

4 Likes

I think you’re right. From a consumer standpoint I think most people will skip DAB and go to their station app or Radioapp. There’s more variety, it’s more portable and you don’t have to buy any hardware.

For networks, it reduces reliance on broadcast spectrum and, as pointed out, provides better data and acts to block other networks out.

No doubt this is why they are promoting Listnr, Nova/Smooth player and iHeart over their DAB channels. Plus they can add pre-roll on their players for extra revenue.

4 Likes

I’d like to see Listnr on Sonos as a native integration like iHeartradio is. It can be Airplay’ed but as an alternative.

3 Likes

i know in my case, i have a car with DAB, android auto / carplay and if i end up with an audio app without carplay compatibility it doesnt get used. the only time i really listen (as opposed to background music or audio) is during my commute. Honestly if you have a radio station app and don’t have carplayt / android auto integration - fire the developer. its just as vital as a play button.

3 Likes

I know this started out talking about Mike E and Emma, but I think this convo should be moved to this forum - Digital Radio - Content, or this forum - Digital Radio - Technical

3 Likes

I’m sure Danny Lakey and Erin Molan would have something to say about that!

1 Like

So so true. Yes to all of the above. And judging by the haemorrhaging of SCAs share price over some years … the sooner the better. Blessed relief is way overdue for the long suffering shareholders of this poorly run company.

2 Likes

I thought I’d pop RnB Fridays radio on today. I’ve heard one song and 5 mins of ads so far :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

6 Likes

If you tuned in within the last 20 minutes of any hour, that sounds about right.

Stations seem to load up the first 40 mins of the hour with music and the ads in last 20 minutes.

3 Likes

I was listening to 2Day FM at work on digitalradioplus.com.au and the playlist was great. Snow-Informer, Usher-U got it bad, Marky Mark-Good Vibrations, classic R&B anthems.

2 Likes

2DayFM is undergoing yet another format change. During an interview with Tim Burrows, Grant Blackley confirmed that the station is now chasing a slightly older audience:

“Purposely we are positioning above what is Kiis and Nova, and below WS, and substantially below Smooth. We are going firmly into that slot. It’s a subtle but noticeable change. We are not going to compete in a top 40 manner at all.”

7 Likes

the New New 104.1 2DayFM

6 Likes
5 Likes

They have been playing a lot of 80s since around October so they are already going after an older audience. The music has improved a great deal since the format change.

5 Likes

When will 2Day finally admit they play 80s music in their promos though?

9 Likes

I don’t know but I heard an announcer today say the 90s to now line and then segue into forward-promoting playing The Way You Make Me Feel (1987) in 8 mins. They played Billie Jean (1982) yesterday.

1 Like

I’ve lost count of the number of times I’ve heard the “90s to now” tagline followed immediately by an 80s song…

5 Likes

I wonder if SCA will roll out the 2Day FM format to FOX FM, B105 and SA FM (Mix Perth already has this format) as well as the regional Hits?

1 Like

And what? Destroy the fact that 2Day is the only station with an individualised and targeted playlist? I would hope not, but it’s SCA we are talking about.

3 Likes